FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling like I’ve wasted 4 years on a degree for nothing

JJ_77
Community Member

This is my first time posting here so I’ll give it a go.

I have recently completed a degree that has very little job prospects and so far nothing has come of it.

Today I got my date for my graduation and I am dreading it. I do not feel accomplished as nothing has come of it and I believe that nothing will ever come of it.

I worked unbelievably hard for 4 years to have little to no job opportunities and I just feel anxious all the time about what the future holds and what I will be doing if I truly never get a job in the field I am trained.

I currently work in retail and I constantly have people asking me why I’m still there and why I don’t have a job with my degree and I just can’t take it anymore.

My family say “it will work out” but I really really don’t think so.

I am also worried that because I am so negative that I am just going to ruin any chances because I am so opposed to the idea that things may work out.

I am anxious about not getting a job and also anxious that being negative about not getting a job will ensure I don’t get a job.

I wish I could just see into the future of what will happen and not knowing keeps me up at night and makes me cry.

sorry for the ramble.

7 Replies 7

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear JJ 77~

Welcome here to the Support Forum. I think it was a good idea for you to come here. You can read other people's perspectives on your situation, and as they are not your parents -parents tend to be duty bound to say nice things irrespective - you can take those perspectives seriously.

First off a reasonably recent study by the New College of the Humanities, London, found only half of graduates obtained employment in a field that relates to their degree. This means perhaps a shortage of jobs in the chosen fields, or perhaps something else. Completing a 4 year degree shows a lot about the person involved in terms of discipline, long term ability, intelligence and some coping mechanisms for stress. These all add up to what organizations are looking for - "employability."

This is borne out too by my own experience as a university educator.

May I suggest you do not set your sights too low, but look for work commensurate with your qualifications and true worth, irrespective of it it is in your field. An opportunity to get into your field, if you still want to, may well present itself later. You are basically in a very good position and nothing you have done so far has been wasted.

Even working overqualified in retail will indicate to future recruiters your flexibility and realistic approach.

I can understand your worries can revolve around making your chances worse simply becuse you are worried. Perhaps in an interview situation, or simply not the confidence to reach out.

I'd suggest two things. Enlist the expertise of a job seeking firm and learn what recruiters are looking for and especially how to present it - there a lot of unwritten rules.

Secondly if this anxiety is a constant, and by the sound of it you are not in a good place, then please see your GP, be tested for an anxiety condition and see where that leads. Learning the ability to cope in stressful times and reduce anxiety is important and achievable.

Please know you are welcome here anytime

Croix

Croix

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JJ 77

Welcome to the forums and you havent rambled at all....Thankyou for speaking from the heart..

Congratulations with achieving your degree!! That has taken some serious hard work and dedication. Not having a job/career after the completion of your degree is not a problem as Croix wisely mentioned above

Please be gentle to yourself...have a break and be proud of what you have achieved JJ

Retail experience is highly valued when you decide on the career path that suits you....Of course your parents have your best interests in mind. Just my humble opinion....There is nothing to gain by worry or concern re immediate job placement

you are an amazing person JJ 77......even just taking the time to think about our future direction can be the best decision we can make...This is a life journey as you know...not a sprint

Congratulations again!

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello JJ77, and can I also welcome you to the forums along with Croix and Paul.

I can thoroughly relate to what you have said, and just quickly I spent 3 years to qualify for a diploma of something that led to nothing like what I ended up doing, to me, it was a waste of time.

Just as you have gained a degree, and well done for achieving this, but it doesn't restrict you entering into this particular workforce and doesn't necessarily have to concentrate of trying to find a job in this field, somehow related to this degree, go and do something else that interests you in a completely different area.

What many talents do have besides this and let your imagination be allowed to open up.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

GregtheEgg
Community Member

Hi JJ 77

I know how you are feeling and I'm glad you've come here to post about it. I completed my degree in July 2018, and my post0grad in 2019 and I am still struggling to get a job in my field. It's really tough. I have times hen I feel like I've wasted all those years, that I am kidding myself that I could ever be any good in the field and that even if I do get a job I will fail. It's really awful and the anxiety worrying about it is exhausting.

I also know how you feel with your family. My family have been very supportive and telling me that something will come along. I know that they mean well but it is very hard to believe them, and at times it is frustrating when they tell me this.

I have found that just taking it day by day and not placing unrealistic expectations on myself is a healthy way of coping. I try to apply for one job per day and talk to as many people as I can. It's so hard not to question everything but taking small steps might help.

I hope that you feel better

xx

spicecgx
Community Member

I feel the same, and I think it’s connected to COVID and the fact that half of my 4-year education was online. And the quality of this online education was not that good at all. You need personal contact to learn to speak foreign languages better not to sit all day long in your chair looking into your computer. It also caused me issues with my back.

Now I think that I want to make a master’s degree somewhere. But I would like to choose another college for that. I don’t care about the diploma; I care about the practical skills I want to get.

GeoDude68
Community Member
Hey mate, appricate you sharing. I know how you feel going though the exact same thing myself. I studied Youth Work for 2 years and it's been 2 years since i finished my study. I've dabbled in job semi related to the field but nothing that truly follows my passion and each job has bascially ended in me getting fired with a few jobs i luckuly still yave  despite trying to put my best foot forward and prove myself. 

It can often feel at times like the world is against you and employers are putting unrealistc expectations of you, to the point where you feel you'd never qualify for a job. As mentioned, i find it best to take it day by day and try not to force yourself to look into your own future as that can be when you put unneeded pressure on yourself. I've got to the point now where i'm starting to question my career path and if Youth Work is still really where i want to head towards, but i feel it's good to have these times of reflection to truely see if you feel you fit into the field or whether your being called elsewhere and even if you don't get a job in the field you studied for, you can always use elements of your study to help with other jobs or parts of your life