FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Cardiac anxiety 😟

Lostworrier82
Community Member
Hi all, I’m new here and after reading a lot of peoples posts it gave me courage to share mine.
I’m suffering badly with cardiac anxiety. I had a full check up with the cardiologist back in 2020, everything was clear, had no calcium in arteries so the pain in my chest and arm was left unknown. Over time it went away. I have two small children so life went on. But over the last month I have been suffering intermittent chest pain, left shoulder blade and a throbbing pain in my left arm. I also get sharp pain in my jaw but mainly around my teeth section. As I type my arm is throbbing on and off. You visit google to check your symptoms and as a long time health anxiety person is a massive no no but I did it anyway and of course it comes up heart attack warning signs. I think I got myself into such a stage tonight I really thought I was having one and I started crying and hugging my children. But after a bit I calmed down and it went away. But came back in an hour or so. I’ve told my GP about my symptoms and I’m getting full bloods done tomorrow but she thinks it could be bad reflux. Sigh. It’s just hard. I’m so scared of Something Happening and leaving my kids which makes me more down. I could do with loosing some weight and need to lower my cholesterol a bit but I stress going for a walk if I get arm or chest pain. How can you convince yourself these thoughts are just in your head? Has anyone had this experience before? Thank you for letting me vent.
21 Replies 21

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lostworrier82,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Ive also experienced health anxiety to the point that my anxiety became very severe….. my anxiety also turned to other thoughts and I was diagnosed with OCD.

I would also doctor google which only made things worse,I later learned in therapy that this was a compulsion of mine.

I received professional help for what I was experiencing and I’ve now recovered…. I was given many tools in therapy and learned alot of skills.

When you do have these distressing intrusive thoughts try not to give them your attention instead allow them to be there but instead of focusing on the thoughts put your attention on something else in the present moment.

Meditation is really useful it can teach us that we are not our thoughts but the watcher of our thoughts… it takes practice…. Look for a guided meditation for learning to watch your thoughts.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hello Lostworrier82

I’m sorry to hear how you’re feeling.

Like you and Petal22, I also experience health anxiety. Specifically, I have a heart condition that has been repaired, but worry I about it nonetheless.

Taking steps to improve your health could help you feel more in control of your body and less worried. I have recently joined a gym and find some relief in knowing I’m doing something to improve my health. Perhaps you could start out by going for a short walk and seeing how you feel, or walking with a friend or family member.

As Petal22 also mentioned, when the distressing thoughts do appear, focusing on something else can be helpful. You might turn on some music or a comfort TV show.

Beeee

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lostworrier82,

I have had health related anxiety to do with my heart also! Mine was about my occasional heart palpitations which I never got before. I started googling and then I was worried that I may have a heart condition I never knew about and would spiral. I went to the doctor and got my bloods done and I was all clear. My doctor suggested to me that it may be because of excessive caffeine or not drinking enough water.

Interestingly when I paid more attention to the palpitations (as I never had them before I panicked and paid more attention when I did get them) they were more frequent. After there was an explanation (i.e caffeine and dehydration) they actually started to get less.

Someone once told me that when we are anxious and stressed about something and keep ruminating about it in our minds, our bodies can end up acting as if we are in a constantly stressed state.

I am definitely not a medical professional but I just wanted to say that you are not alone in health anxiety. I also like what Beeee wrote about physical activity to feel more in control in your body, would this be a potential option for you?

We are here for you!

Hi Beeee

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reply. Everyone is so nice and to be honest it’s comforting to know you aren’t alone.

I totally agree with what you and Petal22 said. I’m scared but I really think if I start using physical exercise it will definitely help. Plus will help me with my body image issues also.

Also I found your suggestion of watching some of my favourite shows really took me out of the paranoid mindset and I didn’t have any symptoms for a couple of hours which was so nice for once.

I should also say since you all took the time to reply and offer your experience I felt somewhat better today. Not sure if it’s knowing There are people like myself out there.

Hope you and Petal22 have a lovely night.

Thank you again. 😊

Hi missep123

Thank you for sharing your story with me. Provides much comfort knowing you aren’t alone during these anxious times.

I have also been told previously that what you read say on google regarding a medical condition your mind is so powerful that the next day your body mimics the symptoms. And even though I was told not Read into things i still do. So I’m a work in progress on that side.

I definitely will start physical exercise. I think it will also make me feel much better about my body image and also clear my mind. I panic something bad will happen when exercising but I have to focus on something else like Petal22 suggested and try and get through at least a walk at first.

Thank you again for answering and helping me. I actually felt better after reading the replies. Strange how your mind works.

Have a lovely night. And I’m glad I’m apart of a wonderful community.

Hello Lostworrier82,

I'm glad my suggestion for watching a tv show helped! It's a method I often use myself. And you're definitely not alone in how you feel, please feel free reach out again with updates, I'm eager to hear how your exercise journey is going!

Beeee

Hi Beee

Thank you for being so sweet, it’s people like you that really help people heal.

Since posting I have been doing so well, I spent a hour or so playing and running around the park with my kids yesterday and funny enough didn’t have symptoms. However today I have had some arm pain and also chest pain this afternoon that I’m trying to not over think and get paranoid about. It’s just a let down as I was doing so well. It could also be that we all had pizza with the family last night which I find I stress over really fatty food lately too. But I can do it and hopefully this chest ache will pass.

Thank you for listening though. I’m looking forward to watching some TV when the kids go to sleep and hopefully will take my mind off of things.

Lostworrier82

Hello again Lostworrier82,

So happy to hear about you running around with your kids and not having any symptoms! This is definitely a major positive step and I hope it's something you remind yourself of when you're worried in the future. I'm also glad to hear that despite having some symptoms after the pizza, you're still feeling optimistic. A positive mindset is really important and often a hard thing to achieve, so once again another thing to be proud of!

Hope you had a relaxing evening : )

Beeee

contrarymary
Community Member

Hi

i also suffer severe cardiac anxiety. I have had numerous tests and procedures but nothing found. I have been to emergency numerous times with chest pain nothing found. I find that I can make myself worse I feel my heart racing then think I have pain elsewhere and of course get more and more agitated.

i find if I go for a walk it helps, I used to try reading but couldn't concentrate. I go to a cardiologist every year and everything is fine but I still think there is something wrong, she suggested meditation but I could not get the hang of it.

last time I went to emergency the nurse suggested I had mental problems which did not help usually they say it's muscular.

i used to look on google for my symptoms but that makes for worse, I am one of those people who fear the worst eg a headache is a brain tumour