FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Burning mouth, depression, anxiety

Gumtree77
Community Member

Hi

Yes it is me again I'm afraid. The last fortnight I have had the most awful burning and stinging sensation in my tongue and am of course convinced yet again that it is cancer. I have booked a teleconference tomorrow with an oral surgeon, he will do his best to examine my tongue via iphone facetime.

Half of me thinks it is due to all the stress of late. Since November last year so many horrible things have happened. As mentioned in earlier posts I lost my beloved dog Dec 6. The tongue business flared up big time and the oral surgeon physically checked me and said all was ok. I had another check in January and same; all ok. Meanwhile 5 weeks ago I had major shoulder surgery which was totally awful. I also kicked my on again/off again toxic 'boyfriend' to the kerb. I thought I had gone through menopause but had a period two weeks ago. Since then the tongue business has again taken over my life. I am also self-isolating with my teenage son and I feel total despair over the outcome of this coronavirus business. I have had to spend $2000 getting some trees removed and having blocked drains cleared. I feel there is nothing but doom and gloom and have no one to talk to. So as one does when worried about cancer I am drinking again! Because it is right now the only thing that takes the sharpness away from everything. Needless to say I will wake up in the middle of the night and have another panic attack...I truly am my own worst enemy. Please if anyone out there can help me I will be so grateful. I worry sick about my son as he is totally addicted to his computer and basically gets up at 2pm then is online until 2 am...I try to get him out for walks and to do chores..he complies but only grudgingly. He will be home schooled in two weeks time. That is worrying me also. I just feel so down and out.

The small sane part of me realises I am under enormous stress and possibly require counselling and hormone replacement therapy. I deviate constantly between thinking this mouth business is hormone and stress related to thinking the absolute worst where I will have my tongue removed..in which case I would not be able to live 😞

Thankyou to anyone who can help me see some reason at this terrible time.

2 Replies 2

Community Member

Hi Gumtree77,

Well done on opening up and sharing what you are going through, sounds like a extremely stressful time for you.

You've made a great decision booking in a teleconference with your oral surgeon, it is always helpful to get a bit of re-assure or piece of mind when our bodies are going through unusual pains.

Sounds like you have been through some really tough events recently, which have resulted in a lot of stress. Our bodies always respond in peculiar ways to stress, for some it might be extreme bloating, whilst for others it is tingling sensations in particular places.

I think it would be really helpful if you could set up a teleconference with a psychologist or counsellor. They will do their best to help with your stress, and might be able to give you some insight on your burning mouth if the oral surgeon cannot. It also might be worth looking into calming exercises to do when your mouth begins to cause pain. You could trial out exercises like deep breathing or EFT tapping.

I think it's great that you suggested your son go on some outside walks, do you join him? It might be a great way for not only you to enjoy some fresh air yourself, but just to have someone to speak with - you can ask him to tell you about the video games he likes, or if you feel comfortable, talk about the stress you have been under.

Gumtree77
Community Member

Thanks so much for replying to my post. It really means a lot!

I think it is made worse as I am on work cover due to my shoulder and really cannot do much. My Dr has basically written me off until March next year. I have to man up and make a routine for myself and stick to it. Which is hard for me with all of my other issues...perhaps there is a lesson in all of this for me?

I am trying hard to get my son out of the house at least once a day for a walk with me. He is on holidays but will be schooling from home in two weeks...that will give us something to do!

Thanks again.