FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety-when it creeps up out of the blue.

Sunny_side
Community Member

hello,

this is my first post, so a little nervous. But I have been reading posts for sometime and feel I would like to share and one of the things that has helped me with my anxiety is knowing I am not alone.

From my childhood memories I have always been anxious and driven by pleasing others. I have always pushed myself to excel and have been hard on myself.

I have managed to use cope until 2 years ago, when I had my first anxiety attack. The trigger was and still is work related and the all consuming fear or failure and the consequences of me failing or doing something wrong.

During my last two years of being diagnosed with anxiety, I have learnt a lot about myself and have some strategies that help me. I have also become acquainted with panic attacks.

BUT, anxiety seems to creep up on me when I least expect it and give me a really hard time. Like this week. It reallyconsumes my thoughts and makes me worry about things.

i would like to hear how people deal with anxiety when it hits you out of the blue and is persistent. Also any positive stories or living with anxiety 🙂

10 Replies 10

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sunny Side

Welcome to the forums and good on you for posting too!

Anxiety can be a crippling feeling with all that adrenaline pumping when we dont need it.

Two years after diagnosis is still recently diagnosed. The good news is with regular counseling the severity of the anxiety does reduce. I have had anxiety since I was 23 and I do understand what you are going through.

My anxiety was similar to yours...I had a doctor call it 'free floating' anxiety because there was no basis or apparent triggers for my anxiety.

As you are probably aware the worrying and thinking about the anxiety only 'feeds' it with more fear which will result in more anxiety. The regular counseling will help you rid yourself of the fears and the anticipation of having an anxiety attack. (I had weekly help for six months which helped a lot)

A psychiatrist told me to carry a couple of anti-anxiety meds with me in my wallet....Even without taking them they will be a plan B for you. Doing this also provides comfort as you have something to fall back on.

Sleep is a great support mechanism too. The better the sleep...the better you will cope the next day...

A good GP who has an interest in mental health is always a huge bonus...I still see mine for a tune up 🙂

I hope there is something here that may help you Sunny. There are many super kind people on the forums that can be here for you. You are more than welcome to post back as many times as you wish!

My kindest thoughts for you

Paul

Evan_John
Community Member

Hi Sunny,
If it helps in any way, please know that you are not alone. Your description sounds like it was written for me! I've found my anxiety does impact me when at work, and that need to perform, please and prove is constantly there. The biggest downer for me is how it's impacted my relationship.

Most recently I purchased a book online. It came in the post and I read it after a recent break down. It is written by Paul David and is called 'At Last a Life (Anxiety and Panic Free)'. I have found it unbelievably helpful.
Paul talks namely on the developing a fear of our fears or anxiety about our anxiety, and this attitude of needing to fix/control/change something leads to it snowballing into something worse. He advises doing your best to feel your way though the panic attacks, fear, and anxiety and having the attitude of 'my door is open to you anxiety'. Whatever emotions or sensations come up are allowed. In experiencing it a couple of times, and realizing that panic attacks are just the body releasing adrenaline, the fear of having an attack starts to break down. The anxiety/fear is still there, and will pass in due time as the body and mind naturally heal themselves, but it isn't given respect or power by obsessing over it.

I have found the book immensely useful and recommend it. Good luck with your journey, my friend.

TheoloNerd
Community Member
Hi Sunny side,

Hoo yeah, I feel what you're saying.

Mine too is centred around work. I seem to have real trouble taking reasoned correction (i.e. "Here's something we really need to work on") without seeing it as a disaster.

I don't know the answers, but I do know that you're not alone.

Thank you Paul. Yes, im

having another anxiety moment, so have been revisiting my strategies and remembered I posted on here.

re reading what I wrote and reading you message has helped.

thank you.

just good to know I'm not alone

Hello - you hit the nail on the head for me - always wanting to please people and go above and beyond!

thanks for the tip I the book.

Hi Sunny

Thanks for the post back 🙂

If you had to rate your anxiety symptoms out of 10 (10 being the worst) how severe is your anxiety?

I know I have had mega anxiety in traffic....and its awful. Anxiety creeping up on us is sometimes labelled 'Free Floating Anxiety'

we are here for you Sunny

my kind thoughts

Paul

I think this one is about a 6/10 it's more the physical symptoms that linger for a while now and the obtrusive thoughts that pop in my mind and give me a hard time.

Earlier this evening I was close to having a full blown panic attack - while I was telling my husband about my day and trigger- but managed to recognize it coming on and called beyond blue for support. Talking it through helped. So feel good to Have recognized the feeling.

I have a very supportive husband who tries his very best to hep and be there for me when I have anxiety. After I had a big cry - we actually spoke about the very first massive anxiety attack I had - almost 3 years ago. Comparing it to this one was good.

Free floating anxiety - first time I have heard this. Does this mean you are still triggers by the same triggers but just all of a sudden?

thanks again for the reply. Just such a reassurance not being alone in feeling like this.

Hi Sunny, its good to read that you are not feeling alone feeling the way you do

I saw a psychologist years ago when I couldnt see a trigger for my anxiety and she just called it 'Free Floating Anxiety' Its not a label, just a phrase she used to say that anxiety 'creeps up out of the blue'

My psych was trying to let me know that I had way way too much on my plate to deal with and I had to lighten the load I was carrying around.

In a nutshell.....the anxiety is trying to let us know that we are striving way too hard and have too much to contend with,,,,,the feelings even though awful are physiologically harmless...seriously

The more frequent visits to your GP and having a vent will reduce to severity of the anxiety feelings

Kudos to you for having a crackerjack partner that is there for you 🙂

you will never be alone here Sunny

be 'gentle' with yourself please

Paul x

Hello Paul,

thanks for explaining free floating anxiety - makes sense especially when it just comes out of the blue when you have been traveling well.

I am so grateful for my husband - one positive with anxiety is that it makes you so much more thankful and appreciative for support from loved ones.

I agree anxiety creeps up on me when I have too much on and have not had time just to be. The too much on is tricky to manage I find - but I am learning to say no. Even declined a work offer for more training (big for me as I am a yes yes yes people pleaser) and extra work.

yes, today is be kind to myself day - woken up with the physical symptoms - which are unpleasant.

Thanks for your reply.