FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety over travelling and cannot reason with myself, how do I help myself?

jordsmamords
Community Member
I’m travelling the the USA in a few weeks for a holiday. Leading up to travel I should be excited but instead I’m full of anxiety. The news is constantly full of awful stories of people doing horrible things there (without specifics I’m sure you know what I am referring to) and I’m terrified of the ‘what ifs’. Even though I try and reason with myself, I can’t - I constantly fear the worse and wind myself up until I’m shaking, my heart races, I can’t sleep etc, assuming the worse case scenario. I don’t know how to relax, stop the anxiety and just look forward to it without constantly worrying or thinking the worse. Any suggestions on how to stop the anxious thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Jordsmamords~

Welcome here to the Forum. It must be very frustrating as well as worrying to get these anxious thoughts just when everything seems set.

While it is true bad thngs happen, they are all over the place, not just the US, and I'm sure one half of your mind realises the possibilities of being involved are vanishingly small, however the other side cannot shake of the feelings.

Also thinking the worst, the shakes, panic attacks and terible sleep are all things that I've experienced with an anxiety condition. I assumed, wrongly, that it was the particular things I was being worried by, when in fact it was a more generalized condition, my other mistake was to leave thngs too long before getting medical help.

Going away on that trip is a very big event, and this may in fact be stressing you to the extent where anxiety has started to step in.

May I suggest you see your GP in an extended consultation and explain what is happening? It may be you have a condition that requires at least temporary attention.

As you say you should be looking forward to this adventure, not finding things so hard.

Are you able to share how you feel with any family or friends? Talking and sharing the load can help a lot.

Croix

Michelle1991
Community Member

Hi Jordsmamords,

I am sorry you're feeling this way, I don't have any advice for you however I did want to let you know that I am about to go away on a 4 week holiday and have been experiencing anxiety as well, my family are soooo excited to go away, and I put on an excited face while I am in front of everyone, however, the truth is, I am so anxious and stressed about going, I just wish I wasn't going at all. I just wanted to let you know, you are not alone.