FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety Making Me Want To Leave Job

britta8888
Community Member
My anxiety has lately crept back up to a level where it is impacting my day to day life. I have only been at my job for a few months and I am completing a traineeship through this workplace. However, I have been having panic attacks at work and am not enjoying working there as I thought I would. Furthermore, my boss who trains me sometimes embarrasses me in front of clients which only exacerbates my anxiety. I haven't told them about my anxiety but I really just want to leave anyway as I am not enjoying it and the environment exacerbates my mental health issues. How do I go about resigning in a non-confrontational, respectful way. What do I say and I know that they will try to get me to stay but I really don't want to. Im intimidated by my boss too. Thank you for your help this has really been playing on my mind. XXXX
4 Replies 4

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi britta8888,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I believe that if your boss embarrasses you then your boss is in the wrong job!

You should never feel embarrassed by your boss or intimidated, please know your bosses behaviour is a reflection of your boss and not you.

Please don’t allow the people in your workplace to push you around… your in a traineeship and the boss and the other people in your workplace should be supporting you and not embarrassing you.

How would you feel about taking the behaviour of your work place further up, you could report their behaviour if you wish it’s really unacceptable if you report them then it may stop them from treating the next person the way they treated you.

If you really do want to resign you can just write a letter of resignation and give it to your HR or boss.

If your boss asks why …. tell your boss the truth.

Have you ever seeked help for your anxiety? You really can learn to manage it.

Im here to chat

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear you are not being treated too well at work. Seems like resigning is the best option.

I am going through a similar thing, I need to leave to have surgery and take 3-4 months off. I know my bosses will question me and I am going to hate it but at the end of the day, your health is what matters. If they ask why just tell them that your mental health is not ideal right now and this is what you need to do to help yourself. They cannot force you to stay. Thank them for their time and move on.

I hope everything goes well,

jaz xx

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Britta8888,

Sorry to hear you're suffering from panic attacks and have been dealing with so much stress in your workplace. This is such a hard thing and I can relate, we all want to make a good impression and not have to let people know about our mental health, but sometimes people are just triggering or things just feel like too much...

Your wellbeing is definitely priority and if you have decided you don't want to work here then do what's best for you. An option would be to meet with the HR department (if they have one) and just mention how you're feeling to see if they have any suggestions. Or if you really want to just leave without addressing it, maybe just tell a white lie and resign saying you're moving to another job or something?

Have you considered getting some professional support for your anxiety?

Let us know how you're going when you can.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome to the forums.

there are a number of good replies to your question so I don't think there is too much I can add. Except to say there are times we need to put our health first. With that said, I also wonder (along the same lines that Banksy92 wrote) about what tools and strategies you have for anxiety. And what support might have for this?

Listening to you.