FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and Covid 19

Sarahbelle
Community Member

Hi.

I am extremely anxious about the current covid pandemic.

Feel as though it is living in my brain but my body feels the symptoms.

It causes me such panic and terror and all consuming

Trying to challenge my thinking but ver hard.

Any one else feel this. Any advice appreciated.

Thankyou.

278 Replies 278

Thanks missep123

Had another hard hard night but got myself through it. Best not just to lie in bed and ruminate as the feelings and fear get bigger for me by the second. So I got up made my tea had a wander then hopped back into bed and created my own visual meditation......I did a quick body scan then imagined I was walking down this beautiful tree lined pathway....at the end the sun could be seen and butterflies were leading the way...i followed and went into a beautiful space where it was safe and peaceful...,..in the distance I could see those I loved who are no longer here but they were fine had smiles and waved and let me know they were happy and wanted me to be too, I lay on the soft grass with the warm sun and butterflies fluttering ......This was at 3 o'clock this morning i fell fast asleep and woke at 10.........

The mind is such a powerful thing --- This was an opportunity to give myself the time and permission to free myself of worry and anxiety and all those awful body feelings,

I hope you were able to have a good night sleep too and that your day brings peace ans happiness.

Sarahbelle,

That sounds like such a beautiful meditation! You are so right, the mind is such a powerful thing. I think you are doing an amazing job.

Another thing that I have been learning is self-compassion! I have a habit of blaming myself for the anxiety or putting pressure on myself but it's such a powerful thing to think to yourself 'You are doing a great job' or 'It's okay that you feel this way, it doesn't define you. It will go away'.

Thank you missep 123.

I agree it is time to be kind to ourselves. Often we can go straight to the negative.

I am sure you are doing a great job and I will try and do the same.

Enjoy the evening.

Hi Sarahbelle,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were going? I'm *cautiously* optimistic about some of the good news that we've been getting here, and I imagine you're also excited about the prospect of some of these restrictions being lifted! I'm normally very, very conservative with this quarantine but yesterday I risked a short outing for a haircut (it was time lol). What about you? Would love to hear if things have improved on your end 🙂

Gems

Thanks Gems so lovely to hear from you.
Great to hear you are being optimistic, it is so important . Good on your getting your hair cut - mine is pretty desperate at the moment - I was so scared I had the virus, felt the symptoms so I went for a test , of course it was NEGATIVE! Thank goodness.- Just heard of some restrictions changing in Victoria but after being so cautious for so long it also frightens me. I work in a school supporting kids and families - online has been challenging but very successful too with video chats etc. Worry that easing restrictions may cause further infections but we can't stay like this forever and have to trust the health advisors.
I have become a homebody working at home and very anxious about having to go back to work - and leaving the house generally. The only outs I have been going for is taking my dog for a walks to the park and often driving there so as not to walk the streets. Seems one anxiety becomes another but I am doing okay.
I look forward to getting your posts. Take good care.
Sarahbelle.

Lovely to hear from you as well Sarahbelle. I share your anxiety. In fact whereas yesterday (the day I posted my response) was a "good" day, today I similarly feel more scared and skeptical. I have found that the short updates given by the ABC's Dr. Norman Swan on his daily "Coronacast"are very soothing, as he calmly but frankly explains the state of things here in Australia and when there is and isn't reason to be concerned.

Thanks Gems will have to have a listen to the Caronacast. So many messages out there I only listen for a brief time everyday as it gets to me. I think the safety of home has made me a bit more anxious to go back to work which is fast approaching. The anxiety mucks around with my tummy and appetite. Yesterday took the dog for a walk and had a heavy fall - don't know how - scraped my knuckles and a few tender spots today ----had to laugh at myself after what a ning nong I am.

Hope your day has been a good one and you have been kind to yourself. The sun is shining here, hope it is for you too.

Take good care,

Sarahbelle

Hi Sarahbelle,

So good to hear from you– sorry about your fall, I hope you're okay! I know what you mean about having grown accustomed to the safety of home, even if it is difficult. I will say I've been keeping a careful eye on the statistics and it still looks like things are looking up here in Australia.

I was able to go back to my office for the first time today, but only to get a flu shot. Still, it was nice to be out in the sun and see people. It made me feel a bit hopeful.

Hope you're hanging in there.

Gems

Hi Gem's,

How are you going?

I am going okay after my fall, still a sore shoulder but that will be fine soon. Still working from home and really unsure of going back yet. I have a good system set up for myself which keeps be feeling balanced and in some control. Have been making an effort to get out of the house for some walks but so relieved to walk in the door, wash my hands and take a deep breath. I almost feel I need an ordered list in my head of what to do step by step to stop the jitters some days. One step at a time.

I hope you have been able to enjoy some more sunshine and you are looking after yourself too.

Sarahbelle

Hi Sarahbelle,

I think it's amazing all the things you've been doing! Like you said, one step at a time. I've definitely been applying that to myself too!