FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Why am I always the one who gets treated badly?!

Yutong_G
Community Member

My name is Yutong, and I am in year 7. I am diagnosed with severe depression, and due to the situations at school I don't really think I am managing it well.

Because of the annoying COVID-19 pandemic, we all have to wear masks at school. I am very self conscious about my face, so I never take my mask of. So now most people see me as a strange girl. And because nobody likes seeing strange people being near them, nearly all the girls in my year level started to be mean to me. 

Just last Tuesday I said hello to a Tik Toker from my year level online, but the reply I got back was: 'no i know u and u r not very nice to people. i have been told about ur rudeness to other students and i will not tolerate it!' Because that person's username isn't their real name, and they never share videos, I will count them as an anonymous user. Their gender is unknown, but by the look of the reply I am pretty certain that they could be a girl.

That online rudeness wasn't all. Today at school, I unmuted my phone and took a screenshot of my timetable, but my phone made a 'click' noise as though I just took a picture. My friends heard it, and they thought I was taking photos of them. Immediately they snatched my phone and ran away with it so I couldn't access my camera anymore. I tried to get them to give back my phone, but they just passed it around to each other, making sure I wouldn't take it }:( They somehow unlocked my phone, and opened Microsoft OneNote, where it has all my secrets written. They examined my secret information, memorised them, wrote them on a paper plane, and threw it across the class. A girl opened it, read my secrets, and found out that I had a crush on my teacher. She yelled it out to the class, and everybody lhad a good chortle. My friends seemed to be enjoying themselves, but I felt humiliated. 

Later that day in Science my friends went out of class to hang out at the toilets, but they didn't invite me. They just left the classroom without even looking at me. That moment I froze, suddenly. I found out that my friends didn't care about me, only themselves. When I thought about the situations after school today I was INFURIATED. Immediately I opened my laptop and started to write this story while crying. 

Reflecting on paragraph 3, I admit that I may be rude sometimes, but that's because I am having difficulty managing my depression. Are there any ways to cope? Anyway, thank you for reading.

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Dear Yutong G

We want to thank you for having the courage to post about what you are going through at school right; this is not ok and you deserve to be treated with kindness and respect.

We are sorry these so-called friends are behaving in this way.  Please know there is nothing about you that makes this behavior ok; we are all different in some way and that is what makes us amazing.  The important thing from here is that you tell someone about what is happening; we are glad you have reached out for support this evening. 

While you are waiting for one of our supportive community members to respond to your post, we have included some support lines and resources for you to download that might help give you some strategies to keep yourself safe and to find the right support to help you move forward.

There are some great helplines that are tailored to young people; they will help you understand that many people in your year group at school experience what you are going through and that there are ways through this.  There is a great organization called Reachout which have so many helpful resources for what you are going through, one of which you can accessing by clicking here. You can also call KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, of Headspace on 1800 650 890. All of these options are also available through webchat, if you'd prefer:

If you prefer you can always give us a call, we are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636.

We’re sure we’ll hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon; they are a great community who will show you that you are not alone in this; please remember to be kind to yourself as you find a way through this.

Regards

Sophie M