FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

vent: loss of motivation in HSC year

Abi_555
Community Member

For the last few years I've gradually been loosing motivation to any school work, homework and I hardly study for exams. Now that I'm in year 12 and currently sitting trials, I realize how bad it has gotten.

I've been expressing to friends and family that I have lost all motivation but it's getting worse and worse and every strategy that I try to cope with this doesn't work. My lack of motivation is so overpowering that I feel like I'm just watching my life go by but I can't do anything.

I have so many things that I want to achieve, I know which uni course I want to do and I have so many goals in life but I feel so unmotivated to do anything constructive to achieve the future I want, I feel like I'm stuck in a downward spiral.

I started off highschool so well, I was getting high marks in everything but now I'm getting around 60% in all my classes (no one knows), which is a big drop and every day I get more and more anxious that I'm not going to be able to get into my uni course.

I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder earlier this year as well and I think my anxiety is making this even worse because I'm stuck between my fear of failing and my lack of motivation.

All I want to do each day is just sleep in bed. I can't be bothered to take showers, brush my teeth, eat, go outside but at the same time everyone thinks I've got my life together.

A few years ago, I couldn't see myself living to year 12 and now that I made it to year 12, I have no academic motivation and feel like I'm ruining my future.

I don't want to let my family down but pressure from them or teachers is not enough to get me motivated like it used to. It's like I don't care anymore but I obviously still do.

I don't know what I can do to regain motivation. I've been waiting for it come back but it doesn't seem it is. I'm worried I'll be like this for years.

Has anyone had or is having a similar experience? How were you able to regain motivation?

13 Replies 13

Sophie_M
Hey Abi_555 Thank you for sharing this with us today on the forums. Please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. We think this is certainly something a lot of people in high school and even uni might be able to relate to. Going through year 12 is hard enough as it is, and doing this with an anxiety disorder is even tougher. It might be a really good idea to try and see a psychologist or get some kind of mental health support to help you with these feelings. Feeling unmotivated is really hard If you are interested, we would also recommend getting in touch with an organisation called Headspace. Headspace is an organisation specifically for young people aged 12-25 and they offer a wide range of services including group programs which are a great opportunity to meet people. They also have a group chat on their webpage. If you would like some help finding mental health support, or would just like to talk some of these feelings through with a counsellor we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals. 

There is also the Reachout Forum which is a youth forum for people age 25 and under that you might like to check out as well. https://au.reachout.com/ In the meantime I also thought I would link some of our articles below that you might like to read through if you haven’t already. One is on anxiety management strategies and the other one is about the journey of someone who at one point felt hopeless https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/anxiety-management-strategies   https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/losing-hope-finding-hope” 

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Abi 555,

Wellcome to our forums!

Sorry you have been feeling this way.

I understand anxiety I had severe anxiety OCD and have now recovered thanks to the help of health professionals….

Have you been given any strategies for your panic disorder and general anxiety disorder?

It must be difficult to be doing year 12 and trying to cope with these disorders….

There is hope that you will recover , believe you will get better….

I believe you just need some help to help you recover, do you see a psychologist regularly?

Have you been able to speak to your parents about the way you are feeling?

here to chat

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Abi,

I am really sorry that you have to do your HSC during these hard times. I was just lucky enough to finish my exams before the Pandemic. I hope you are doing okay.

One thing I learnt in year 12 was that motivation comes from within us and not from anyone else. People may inspire us to do certain things but it will still be up to us to do it at the end of the day.

Inspire yourself. Be your own motivation. Envision yourself at the end of the finish line, smiling, happy, and very much proud of what you have accomplished.

Just remember that you will be getting bonus points and concessions since you have to go through all this hard work during a worldwide pandemic.

Also, if you do not end up getting the ATAR you want, there are many options to get into the course you love. Early entry, TAFE, college, etc.

Your ATAR does not determine you. You are going to do amazing.

Hope this helps.

cabbagebus
Community Member

Hi Abi,

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing because it sounds like things are really hard right now. Year 12 is difficult and good job for sticking through it. No matter what happens – you already made it so far and you should feel really proud of yourself for that. I think, even though the future is important, there’s nothing more important than the present and your mental health. Please remember to be kind to yourself – your happiness matters more than any mark or score.

It must be hard to go through year 12 with anxiety and it sounds like day-to-day life is also pretty tough right now. I think based on what you wrote there are more things going on than just burnout/exhaustion, but I felt a similar way to you in year 12 (last year) and trying to take a proper break is something that (though it didn't fix everything) brought some relief.

I’m not sure how it works in your state, but I think that you should just focus on getting through trials and then take some time to not do any study at all after that (if there's some time after). For me, I stopped studying for a while (two weeks) in year 12 a bit before final exams and eventually your motivation does start to come back. I guess when I got closer to final exams, I felt better and tried to think less about the mark and just doing the best I could.

It’s kind of hard to explain so sorry if what I wrote doesn’t really make sense.

I think even when you aren’t studying if you feel guilty or stressed or under pressure for not doing it, you still end up just as exhausted anyway (even though you aren’t doing work). I think even if you only take few days off just to not think about anything (and let yourself not feel guilty – like really commit, like “I’m not doing anything for the next few days and I’m letting myself") and just do something you like (or do nothing at all) it could help. Even if you feel like you don’t have time…

Also I feel like there's pressure in year 12 to be studying ALL the time and it's just not realistic. So don't feel bad. Anyway...

Like I said before, it seems like burnout/stress/exhaustion aren’t the only things going on and it might help to talk to a psychologist if you haven’t and if you can.

I think at the end of the day, you can’t do more than your best! Your mental health is really the most important thing. Whatever happens, it will be okay and you’re almost at the end! Good job!!

Good luck and I really hope you feel a bit better soon,
cabbagebus 🙂

Abi_555
Community Member

thank you for your message 🙂

I've been seeing a psychologist regularly for the last couple of years and I have been able to talk to a parent about how I'm feeling but I haven't been given many useful strategies and sometimes I feel like I'm not taken seriously when I try to explain how I feel. 😕

Abi_555
Community Member

thank you for your message 🙂

very true, motivation comes from within, I'm just having trouble finding it .... 😕

thank you for your comforting reminder!

thank you so much for your comforting message 🙂

It's great to hear from someone who went through year 12 last year.

I guess I didn't really consider taking a break might help, thank you! I'll give that a go.

thanks again, I really appreciate your message

Hi Abi 555,

Thank you for your reply…..

Thats great you have been able to talk to a parent about the way you are feeling and a psychologist……. I’m sorry though that you feel as though you are not being taken seriously…….. if your current psychologist isn’t helping you then how would you feel about seeing a new psychologist?

Has the parent you have been able to talk to been understanding and understand what you are going through? If you feel they don’t really understand would you find it helpful to write a letter to the parent really out lining the way you feel? Maybe the parent could accompany you to a psychologist appointment or gp appointment and help you explain the way you are feeling and let them know you need some help…….

Has the parent noticed any changes in you ? Maybe you could both go to see your gp together to discuss changes they have noticed and that you have noticed ….. I’m saying this because when I wasn’t well I took some one with me to a gp appointment so this person could state to the gp changes they had seen in me…….. eg I wasn’t eating a lot, I’d lost alot of weight, worried a lot……..

if things aren’t going that great in school at the moment in regards to marks that’s ok….. just give yourself permission to look after yourself and really get the professional help you need……

I highly recommend you go back to your gp and really outline to them the way you are feeling……. Even if you have to write it down and read off the list…… don’t leave their room until you feel heard…. Maybe while you are seeing your gp you could ask for a referral to a different psychologist let the gp know your current psychologist isn’t really helping you….

please chat to me any time

Sasquatchion
Community Member

Hi Abi_555,

It's been a few years since I was in highschool, but I'm now in my 20s and studying secondary education at university. I am no where near finished my degree, nor am I experienced enough in a classroom setting to give you any actual advice from a teacher's perspective... but I have been a student! A rather lousy student at that. Even now I struggle to motivate myself in my university studies. It happens.

Your year 12 results, or any result really, that you achieve in high school matters in the grand scheme of your life. If you got good marks in year 8, but now they're worse in year 12. So what? I very much promise you that year 12 is nothing to stress over. While it may seem like the be-all end-all right now, I seriously am promising you that nothing bad is going to happen to you if you don't do as well on an exam.

I have a friend who completely flunked their year 12 studies. Completely botched our final exams and didn't get the ATAR they wanted. You know what that person is doing right now? Studying medicine at a fantastic university.

Just take it one day at a time. If you don't feel motivated to study for two hours, just study for 10 or 20 minutes. Break up your study into little chunks and you might find it easier to motivate yourself for the shorter periods of time. You might even find you remember more by studying this way!

But I can absolutely promise you that you ARE NOT ruining your future. You can do or be anything or anyone you want to be. Thanks for sharing your story. 🙂

Cheers,

Sasquatchion 🙂