FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Uni, friends, coronavirus, and motivation

a-nickname
Community Member

Hi everyone, first post here so yeah it’s a bit of a story

So I started uni last year and really struggled my way through between moving to a new city and being unemployed, I also failed a couple of courses on top of that. I haven’t really made any new friends here (just a few acquaintances).

This year has been a little different as my course has split into majors and I don’t know anyone in my classes anymore. On top of that I’m now too anxious to go to classes because of my poor grades and just meeting new people in general, coronavirus has made this even more difficult by moving things online. I’m really starting to question if this is the right degree for me but I don’t see myself taking any other path in life.

so anyway all of this just results in me being extremely unmotivated to study which I know will just continue the cycle.

Hoping there’s someone else out there with a similar experience

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M

Welcome to the forums, a-nickname

We're so grateful that you have reached out to our community, we know that it is not an easy thing to do, but you've taken a really big step here tonight. We're really sorry to hear that you're struggling with uni motivation and making new friends, which must be especially tough to cope with during this difficult time. But please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk about your thoughts and feelings, and our wonderful community is here to provide you with as much support, advice and conversation as you need. 

If you feel up to it, we'd really recommend reaching out to our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. The website will be regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. You can also call our dedicated support line, staffed by mental health professionals, which is available 24/7 on 1800 512 348.

We hope that you keep checking in to let us know how you're going, whenever you feel up to it.

SarahZ
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi a-nickname,

Thanks for reaching out. It takes a lot of courage to be so open with your emotions - we are very grateful for it.

I can't imagine how challenging it was to juggle University studies, being unemployed, and also moving cities. Moving cities and beginning University are super big transitions, so that must have been extremely difficult to balance. I can also relate to your University challenges in some way. During first year Uni (nearly 3 years back) I struggled to make friends as I felt really different from people in my course, you could even say a bit like an outcast. On top of that, I had minimal contact hours meaning that I rarely got to see people unless I made a super conscious effort to stay back after class. However, often I felt super anxious and awkward about initiating conversations so would just leave my classes quickly. I can confidently say I didn't make a single friend at University that year, and ever the year after that. I also know heaps of people who, after three years, still have not made a single University friend. University is definitely a challenging time for a lot of people and can also be a lonely experience. Especially with Covid-19 currently, opportunities to make friends appear more limited than usual. However, joining clubs that are of interest to you can be a great way to make friends. Potentially, you can begin searching some Uni clubs you might be interested in to join next semester? Uni clubs usually always have a great online presence as well, so I'm sure if you message them on some social media platform now they can provide you information on joining dates etc.

University is never an easy period; however, know that you are not alone!

Always here to talk if you feel up to it 🙂

Wishing you all the best!

Jesicca
Community Member
Hey a-nickname,

You mentioned that you're not sure if your degree is the right degree for you but that you don't see yourself taking any other path. Have you thought about deferring for a year to work part time and volunteer in areas that interest you to get a feel for what other degree you could study or other career paths you could take? It's important to remember that having a break from uni isn't a bad thing and I know there can be stigma about deferring but you might find some work you love by putting yourself out there in other areas. You could even stay in your degree and volunteer on the side until you decide what you like. Just a suggestion? 🙂