FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Uni and just life in general

Pityparty
Community Member

So im currently in my final year of uni, ive never had good grades and more recently have been only just passing my assignments. I know that passing is the main thing but it has really been getting me down recently and has been making me feel like im not even understanding any of the content, and leading me to procrastinate my assignments, which then leads me to being more stressed and not wanting to even bother doing any of them and just dropping out.

I really cant afford to fail and at the same time i cant really drop out since ill be a failure to everyone around me, considering this is the second degree ive started (dropped out of the first one) and stuck for options. My job also requires me to be studying this degree so i cant really defer for a semester either. It also doesnt help that my friend is studying the same degree with me and always talks about getting high distinctions for all her assignments which leads me to have even more doubt in myself and feel like a dumb ass.

Im really at the point of just being like stuff this, and wanting to just run away.

Speaking of friends, i literally only have 1 friend and my partner. I feel like having so little friends also effects me and my mental health. Ive also moved regionally, away from my 1 friend and my family therefore feeling even more isolated. Im not a super outgoing person so making new friends can be really difficult for me.

I just dont know what to do, i have no motivation or care to do any uni assignments and i have like 4 due in the next two weeks.

Just feeling really overwhelmed and lost.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Pityparty,
  Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members. This is a safe space to share and express your own feelings, struggles and experiences without judgement.

Regards

Sophie M

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Pityparty,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear that you've been feeling down about uni.

I'm a 4th year uni student myself and I definitely understand the pressure to do well. I hope you remember that everyone is different and you can't compare yourself to anyone else. You're trying your best and that's what's most important.

If you've made it to the final year of your degree I think it shows that you do understand the content, but if it's been feeling more difficult recently, maybe email your tutors and ask questions for extra clarification. All universities should also provide a disability support service, maybe have a talk with them about getting mental health support. If you're feeling overwhelmed, they may even provide extensions on your assignments.

Wishing you the best,

Beeee

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Pityparty,

Fellow 4th year student here, welcome to these forums! I think I firstly just want to commend you for your efforts in uni. No one can prepare you for how mentally and emotionally exhausting it can become at times, especially when you are away from your biggest supports.

Ive found that taking care of my mental health during uni to be so incredibly important. Understanding that everyone learns differently, some things might take longer for others to learn or complete and that’s okay. Understand that because I may struggle with time constraints and completing work doesn’t mean I’m any less competent than someone else in my course.

I recommend reaching out to both your GP and your university. With the aid of support services and some documentation that my GP provided, I was able to get a plan in place that allowed me to complete my assignments with an extension, have alternate arrangements for exams/assignments if necessary etc. I also was able to obtain a mental health care plan from my GP which connected me to a psychologist to help me cope with my stresses and manage my functioning.

Could you potentially buddy up with your friend in the same degree for some study sessions (virtual or in person if possible?) Perhaps having another person that you can bounce ideas of off and explore content with might be helpful?

I really wish you all the best and encourage you to keep reaching out on the forums for support! We are here for you