FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tips for bridge phobia?

Jess_164
Community Member

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on gephyrophobia (fear of bridges) and how to manage it

it has been there ever since I Can remember, when I am even told I am going to drive over a bridge my hands get all cold yet sweaty, I feel shaky, I go pale and I just can't take my mind of it. I am petrified. When I actually go over it I freeze. I also have never told anyone.

does anyone else experience this or have some tips?

thanks

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jess

I didnt even know 'they' had a tag for having a fear of bridges! I do understand you when you said you get anxious driving over a bridge. I do too....a lot! In Melbourne we have the Westgate bridge and I cant stand being on it especially when the traffic is banked up and I am stuck in the middle (the top) of the bridge..ugh!

You are strong to get on here and talk about it because the ex Premier of Victoria was also 'uncomfortable' driving over the bridge.

The biggest weapon you have against the fear is 'distraction'...It does work. I know we cant talk about locations on BB but its ok to mention the bridge that is a pain for you if you wish of course:-)

There are many super kind people on the forums that would understand you like I do Jess. You are more than welcome to post as many times as you wish. You are not alone here...I cant stand bridges...

My kind thoughts for you

Paul

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jess_164

Thank you for writing to us and sharing about your bridge phobia.

One of the key things about your phobia is that even though you are scared of bridges, you can still drive over it. This is a huge achievement. Are there certain bridges that you can't drive over? Are there certain bridges that are small and you don't get that anxious feeling?

Often some people with this phobia have found that they are scared of bridges for a particular reason - do you find that there are certain things that worry you when you drive over one? Often identifying those thoughts can be a great way to help calm your body down and settling the anxiety symptoms. Sometimes it can help to 'fact check' these thoughts - telling yourself that you are safe and being able to ground yourself can be useful.

Another thing that can help is trying to manage your anxiety symptoms directly; often when people feel a bit shaky and sweaty their heart is racing. Learning breathing techniques can help - taking nice long slow deep breaths whenever you either hear about bridges or when you are about to drive over one. Other people find that meditation is useful, or even colouring - you may find that colouring pictures of bridges may help it seem less scary and help your brain know that there isn't anything to be afraid of.

Thanks for your advice Paul!

over the past month I've tried a lot of new tactics.

for some reason I can't seem to muster up the courage to tell anyone so I told by parents that the particular bridge I hate (the story bridge) makes me feel car sick because of the bumps and we now take the alternate one.

sure it's not ideal but it's better, I also listen to music and distract myself.

thanks for your help!

Thank you! This has helped alot

The one bridge I hate the most is over a river that makes me really anxious. I don't know why. I have terrible dreams about me sinking deeper and deeper into it (and other large bodies of water) I'm so scared I'm almost got my licence and I never ever want to drive over it. What if my friends move over the other side of it?

anyway I just try to distract myself, but it's good to talk with the other people that understand how it feels. Thanks for chatting!

Hi Jess, thanks for getting back 🙂 I have a friend that has to cross the Westgate bridge about twice a week and she opens her window and lets the freezing cold air in. She is only little so the ice cold freezing Melbourne air 'overtakes' the anxiety of crossing the bridge....if that make sense...

Music is a great idea too, and well done...a great coping mechanism Jess. How high is your bridge over the water?

Paulx