FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Theo has joined the party.

TheoWulf
Community Member

Hello, world.

My name is not actually Theo, but it's what I go by. I've decided to join the forums to find support in the case that I start to fall apart.

I am a high school that struggles with depression and anxiety. I'm gay, a mega computer nerd and doodle artist, and I have a small group of friends that I joke around with.

I hope I can make some friends here and help others out the best I can, as well as get help for my own problems.

❤️ Theo.

11 Replies 11

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Theo,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for joining the party! I will admit it doesn't always feel like a party sometimes but hopefully you'll find this a welcoming and supportive community anyway.

Kudos to you for being here in case you fall apart - do you want to share what's been happening?

I hope that you'll enjoy being here. I'm a big computer nerd too, and you're in good company.

RT 🙂

Sure.

I've been struggling a lot with my history teacher. I feel like she's trying to make me fail the class, a class that I don't even care about anyway, and I fear it'll be a step towards me dropping out. I don't really know what to do, so I'm kinda worried.

TW.

Hey Theo,

It's good to hear back from you. How have you been finding the forums so far?

That's no good to hear about your history teacher - why do you think she wants you to fail? and why do you think dropping the class is going to make you fail? And what grade are you in? These questions are a bit nosy I know - but hopefully it helps me understand what you're going through.

RT

Hey RT! I'm really enjoying the forums right now. Everyone is so supportive and caring, and I think I'll find a lot of support here.

Not to worry about the questions. I'm open to sharing. I don't know why she'd want me to fail, but it seems like constantly she's trying to call me out and humiliate or make something negative out of my work.

I have a scholarship at this school and I'm already hanging by a thread on keeping it. I'm sure that if I fail this history class, I'll lose the scholarship and my parents will need to pay a lot more money to keep me here.

And, finally. I'm in Grade 9.

TW ❤️

Hey Theo,

Oh that's so great to hear! I'm so happy to read that. Please know that you can always jump in on other threads too.

I wonder too if maybe your history teacher is calling you out or saying negative things because she wants you to do well? I know it can sound a bit ironic but I know plenty of teachers pile on all the negative criticism because they believe that not only can you take it, but you can also thrive on it. Especially if she herself is passionate about history.

What makes you think that you are hanging by a thread with it? It must be a bit daunting to think that your grades represent whether or not your parents have to pay!

I'm glad though that the end of the year is coming. Hopefully that alone gives you a little less pressure.

RT

Howdy, RT.

On my last History assignment, I lost a whole section of marks (there's three sections, each one marked out of 20), simply because I didn't understand how the section was done. I'd emailed the teacher about a week before it was due to ask her how it was done, but she didn't reply.

My grades lean towards the more negative scale. Because of this, I had a couple of meetings with my principal about it. I'm on my last chance, if my grades don't improve soon I lose the scholarship.

Unless there's an assignment over the holidays, I think I'll be getting a good break from schoolwork through Christmas.

TW.

Hey Theo,

Oh no, what a bummer!

I honestly think that it must be so stressful to have that scholarship ride on your grades. I'm also not trying to minimise the stress the stress you are under, but with grade 9 things are not quite as important compared to if it was grade 12 or in University. I say that because lots of people have a really tough time in those earlier years but find their footing later. What were to happen if you were to lose that scholarship?

and yes - I should hope so! Fortunately it's not too far away 🙂

RT,

It is super stressful. The benefit of the scholarship is that my family only has to pay $4,000 for me to stay at the school, instead of the regular $8,000. If I lose the scholarship, my family will have to struggle to get the money for me to stay there.

What are you looking forward to in the holidays, Thief?

Theo.

Hi Theo and Hi to RT as well,

I too welcome you to the forum. Is it possible for you to have another talk with the principle? Are there support people at your school whom you can talk with as well regarding how you are feeling and your fears about the scholarship?

Have you heard of Kids Line?I am sorry I don't have the number on me at present. You can phone them and talk about any kind of issues you may have.

Do you know if you will have this same teacher next year? Would it be possible to organise a meeting with your parents, the teacher and the principle to discuss your issues?

I know when I concentrate on my issues, I forget o see the good stuff that is happening in my life as well. Like RT, I am not wanting to minimise in any way your current dilemma, just to help you focus on what is good as well.

At school I struggled and gave up. I congratulate you on your awareness of what an education means to you and also your family!

Wishing you well from Dools