FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Support for something newish!

h_bomb
Community Member

Hey guys I have been dealing with depression on and off for around 4 or so years, but I have lately been able to experience happiness through different activities which I am engaging in, such as footy, stand up, work and other events. Most of my depression if not all of it is linked with a  group of high school mates whom I am no longer friends with, and have blown all my tides with, I am doing my very best with moving on and letting go. Some people just seem to not be changing though etc.

In about the last year or so though I have been experiencing severe anxiety, I had a full blown panic attack last year and a few more after, but only really one full blown one. The worst part of my anxiety though is the brain fog it gives me (depersonalisation/derealisation) I am fairly sure these are what they are called, I was concerned that smoking marijuana heavily once last year triggered the panic attack, and my anxiety, but I had a heap of other stuff going on and was drinking quite heavily that stage as well.

I guess my question to the group is, how do I go about ridding myself of the anxious fog that lures over me daily and causes me to feel detached and "not all there"/"not with it", it can be very scary but I know this is only anxiety as my psych has explained etc.

Hopefully this has made things clear for you guys, I just wanted to say though that I am definitely doing well in aspects of my life with playing footy, working, and completing my Uni degree, the anxiety is not controlling my life.

1 Reply 1

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi H Bomb!

Welcome to BB and glad to hear that you are managing the depression and anxiety pretty well!

Firstly, don't let those kids at school get you down, because once you've finished school, you all go your separate ways, and you won't ever have to see them again. I was in the same situation you were, and the toughest part about it was seeing them every day - all of you crammed into the one area and classes for 8 hours a day, five days a week - no wonder so many kids get anxious and upset! Just focus on YOU and put all your energy into doing to the things you like.

As for the depersonalisation issue, I totally get it. I'm a bit like that, sometimes I'll even be driving and I'm too busy thinking about something else, and I'll panic and forget where I'm even going.

I suggest, firstly, cutting out the weed altogether (my boyfriend is a heavy user and he's currently in the stages of quitting, and I can already see his attention is sharper than usual), and limiting the alcohol as well. When you're in the middle of a task and you're not feeling "with it", firmly remind yourself that "i am doing ___ for ____ reason". For both concentration and anxiety attacks, I use breathing techniques; breathe in for 5, breathe out for 10. Have a play around and see what works for you best.

Make sure you're getting enough sleep, and before you go to bed, or even in the morning if that's more effective for you, get a diary and write down everything that happened in the day/what you're going to achieve that day, and any thoughts that are weighing you down and might be causing you to feel "not with it". I am a strong believer in getting emotions and feelings and plans out from your head and onto a page, either through writing or dot points or whatever.

Also have a look at BB's resources on managing anxiety and panic attacks, you may find some useful information.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Crystal