FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Substance abuse.

Avocadooo
Community Member
Whenever I go out I feel like I need to under the influence off a substance to have fun.. Alcohol or drugs.. I'm disappointed in myself that I feel the need for it because I really wish I was as confident & felt like things were as fun without the substances...
4 Replies 4

On The Road
Community Member

Hi Avocadooo,

I'm sorry that you feel this way, the influence of substances (the tolerance) is challenging and unfortunately, people need more substance to get the effect they want- this takes time and effort to overcome. But substance use and the influence doesn't define you. It is completely natural for ppl with AOD to have some disparate feelings.

Feel free to share more we are here to listen 🙂

Latestepha
Community Member

Many people experience similar feelings and find it difficult to navigate social situations without relying on alcohol or drugs. It's great that you're reflecting on this and wanting to make a change. Recognizing the need for change is the first step towards a healthier lifestyle.

RickyJohns
Community Member

Feeling like you need substances to enjoy yourself or feel confident is tough, and it's understandable to feel disappointed in yourself. However, it's important to remember that you're not alone in this struggle.

If you're looking for support, reaching out to a professional can be incredibly helpful. Virtue Recovery Chandler, for example, offers treatments specifically tailored to address substance abuse, including alcohol addiction. They can provide you with the guidance, tools, and support you need to overcome these challenges.Additionally, consider exploring alternative ways to have fun and boost your confidence without relying on substances.