FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stressed, Depressed, Overwhelmed

sanmmi
Community Member

Hey so i just started studying a Diploma at a college. It's been alright, the work is okay just a bit too much with the assignments which make me a little stressed because of how little time i have to do them. Anyways, it's been 2 months since i started and i've already had 2 breakdowns IN CLASS. One of them was yesterday, had a full blown panic attack in class, everyone was super nice about it but i dramatically ran out the class which was so embarrassing. I've been struggling a lot with my anxiety and panic attacks and depression. My moods have been all over the place i cant seem to control them. I feel like my emotions and my whole body is so out of control and i don't like the way it makes me feel. I also feel really alone since i fell out with my best friends last year, tried reconnecting but they don't seem to want to be civil. So i feel really alone, my mental health is deteriorating and idk what to do about it.

I would go seek help if i could but my parents are against it, even though i'm 18. I thought about going by myself but i don't know what the process is and how much it is... but yeah idk what to do.

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

You seem to have arrived at a high point with stress and study pressure and losing friends has been the underlying catalyst perhaps.

In terms of your parents not approving medical help for you (that is disappointing) you could seek out a bulk billing doctor. He/she could also approve 10 free psychological interviews.

Min the meantime self help is very effective if you persist. I’m living proof it works and some exercises like involving deep breathing you can do anywhere anytime.

It is all mentioned in this thread-

use google or search

beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

TonyWK

Thank you!

continuousventer
Community Member
hi sanmmi

I agree study can be really stressful, especially with time-management. I could understand how vulnerable how you might be feeling because it seems like your moods are changing. I can relate in a way because when I am feeling sad deep down with strangers around me, I hope no one can see it.

I remember when I had a falling out with my friends. I know how alone it feels to have no friends. It sucks when people leave you. But I have made other friends and you will too.

My parents are also against me seeking help, they think if I take medication that I am going crazy or question why repeatedly if I see the psychologist. So I can also understand your fear of seeking helo

You're allowed to see the GP and get a mental health plan, no matter how your parents feel. Good luck. Hope this helps?

thank you so much! xx