FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Rant, Advice, Anxiety, Help Eachother!

Bowie_Fandom_64
Community Member
Hey, I'm new. Basically i just wanna rant to ya'll because you understand aha. So basically, I've had anxiety since year six, it's been rough. when i have an attack i feel like i'm going to pass out, or my chest will explode or something like that. I decided to post right now, because i had an attack this morning. And i managed it. Granted, i sat on my bedroom floor crying for a half hour, and i almost hyperventilated, but for me that's progress! But i still have a long way to go, but i'm really glad that i'm learning to manage my anxiety, and i'm no longer having attacks everyday. I'm in high school, and these two teachers always make me feel so stressed and anxious, even when they walk past me in the hallway. My palms get sweaty, and i tense up. I don't feel safe near them. AND, a neighbor of ours is SUPER narcissistic, he bullied my and my younger brother when we were little, and once he came to our damn house, and i had to tell my little brother to hide in the bedroom, so i could answer the door, only to be bullied and berated. The situation was dealt with, but whenever i walk past his house i feel so scared and anxious. It gave me massive PTS from when i was in touch with my dad, and when i saw him. I feel like i can't escape from my anxiety, it's like a huge black smoke that follows me, and when something scary or odd happens, it fills my lounges and chokes me. And covid19 isn't helping either!!

Sorry for ranting, i just needed to get that out of my system. I guess that's what these forums are for though!

Sending love and virtual hugs to everyone!! Hope ya'll are well xx
7 Replies 7

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bowie Fandom,

Welcome to the forums! I'm so grateful that you came here to share some of what's been going on with you during this tough time. This is so much to deal with, especially for a high schooler who already has plenty to worry about. It sounds like there are some adults in your life who you don't feel safe around, which means they are not doing their jobs properly. Are there some that you do feel comfortable around, or that you feel you can talk to about the way those teachers and your neighbor are treating you?

I know that exact physical feeling of anxiety that you're describing. Panic attacks are the literal worst and are hard to describe to someone who hasn't had them before. You say that you're learning to manage your anxiety, which is awesome. Are you able to get some help with that? Or have you been going at it alone? Would love to chat more on here if you would like, and so glad you found a place you can get some of your thoughts down.

Warmly,

Gems

Hi uncut_gem,

Thanks so much for the reply! Yes, there are some adults/teachers in my life who i really appreciate, and feel comfortable around, but I don't know how to bring up the subject of other teachers. One in particular, because we used to close, but now he makes me feel uncomfortable around him. He doesn't really "do" anything, it's just the way he acts, he's too friendly, and it's scary to me. I already have some apprehension toward some men, you know how some people just give off a weird vibe? And I was mistreated by a lot of men in the past, and this teacher just doesn't seem to understand that.

Yes, panic attacks are the worst! I was seeing a Psychologist in the past, but not anymore. Since i stopped, my anxiety has gotten worse again. I don't talk to my Mum about it because i hate burdening people with my problems. I am hoping to go back to therapy soon though, because it did work for me. And It doesn't help that when my anxiety gets worse, so do my sleeping and eating habits!

Ugh! I feel like a mess right now! I'm glad that i can talk about it here though.

Hi Bowie,

I'm glad to hear that there are some adults in your life that you feel comfortable around. It's very important to have at least one other adult that you feel you can confide in about these things, especially this teacher of yours. Even if there's nothing "really" going on, it's just good to have someone else in the know.

It's great that you were seeing a psychologist before and that you were able to get a bit of help. I'm sorry that you don't feel like you can go to your mum with all this; that must make things even harder. Luckily there are loads of great supports for young people that don't require any adult, for example the Kids Helpline which is for young people up to 25 and has a phone number you can call at any time for any reason, as well as lots of information for young people on how to manage anxiety.

You may have heard of Headspace, which also provides mental health care to young people. Usually this is done in person at one of their locations, but because of Covid-19, there are plenty of ways to get set up with a therapist remotely if you would like (https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/).

Can I ask if you feel like you have a good relationship with your mum? Are you worried about bothering her about this stuff because she's said something to that effect in the past?

Warmly,
Gems

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bowie_Fandom_64,

Here on the forums, we love a good rant, so welcome! It's great to have you! uncut_gems has some great suggestions about reaching out to someone in your community to help manage the issues with your neighbours and teachers.

If I may add a quick way to deal with the panic attacks I think are helpful: drinking peppermint tea, sucking on an ice cube, and wiping a cold (or warm) cloth on my face and neck. This calms me down physically so that I have a good foundation to calm myself down mentally. That's key for me.

I hope that provides you with some way to progress with your anxiety management, as you say you have been doing slowly but surely, which is great. Feel free to check back with us, if you like!

Sending calmness your way,

Tay100

gems,

I have a fair relationship with my mum. It's not great but it could be a lot worse. We fight and disagree a lot, but at the end of the day we're close. There have been times in the past that I've gone to her with my problems, and it hasn't gone down well. So i usually speak to a teacher, my sister or a counselor about it.

Hi Tay100,

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will be sure to try it out next time i feel anxious!

Hi Bowie_Fandom_64

No worries, please feel free too! I'm happy to hear you can speak to another trusted person aside from your Mum, if you need too as well 🙂