FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Opening up

Cindy7777
Community Member

My whole life I have suffered with depression and anxiety. I have gotten to the point I need to do something as it’s affecting me so much now and losing me opportunities I want. The one thing is I find it impossible to talk to people, I won’t ever fully open up and talking to a professional I just completely close up on them, no matter how much I want to open up.
please help any ideas on how to get through this?

Bit of background I am looking after my sick mum and being a single mum and also working and studying. My mum has never been supportive and very self absorbed my whole life only due to dealing with her own issues. I’ve been through a dv situation with my daughters father and constantly feel anxious.

2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome to beyond blue.

I am saddened you feel you are unable to talk a professional about what you are going through. I am guessing your experiences with your mother and daughters father have "taught" you it is better to say nothing and/or safer.

First, let me applaud your courage in seeking out therapy and for reaching out with your question. It is no small thing to acknowledge that one needs help,

I am going to go out on a limb and ask what stops from opening up? Is it a lack of trust in the person you are speaking to? Or do yo think you would feel judged by the person you would speak to? Past experiences too painful?

It is OK to tell the person you are speaking to that something is too hard to speak about. I have done something similar with my psychologist. And so we took it in smaller steps. It also takes time to build a relationship with any therapist who will guide you through the process.

For someone who has difficulty opening up... you did a good job here. I will also listen to you

Tim

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Cindy7777..

We would like to warmly welcome you to the forums..

It is really hard to make your first post and I want to say how happy we are that you reached out to us here on BB...

Tim has given you some really good suggestions...I found it very hard to open up to my psych..when I first saw her...She could see how I was struggling and for the first 2 visits we got to know each other a bit before the councilling started..If your unable to voice how your feeling and thinking...Maybe it would be easier for you if you could write out on a piece of paper your feelings, thoughts etc..and hand it to your psych...a lot of people do that until they feel more comfortable with them...

You are dealing with so much all at one time..and I would just like to ask you to Please look after yourself as it can get you down as it has done to you....it’s so important that you care for you the best you can..

Sending you my kindest thoughts with care..

Grandy..