FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

not sure what to do

venng27
Community Member

Hey,

Something has been on my mind for a while now and I'm not sure how to approach it.

See when I may be struggling with something and I want to get things off my chest, I never do. I feel like I'm just going to burden my friends with my unnecessary troubles. Most of the things I'm dealing with, I know doesn't really need a second/outside opinion or advice of any sort. The things I'm struggling with I know how to solve them, I just don't. So if I were to tell my friends my problems, nothing can really be done on their part. I don't want to make them feel bad for not being able to provide any sort of input.

Plus, my closest friend that I used to tell a lot of things to is currently going through some struggles herself. She's the type of person that a lot of people go to when they need advice. She has also has mentioned this to me recently that a lot of people have confined in her with their struggles. She's trustworthy, reliable, non-judgmental and understanding and I think that's why a lot of people feel comfortable around her. That's why I haven't really opened up to her recently. I don't want to burden and stress her out anymore than she already is.

This is really silly, I want to open up, because there are things on my chest that I want to let out because it's frustrating me, yet I know it wouldn't do anything...? And then I guess I could open up to other people, but again, I feel like it would just burden them. I've always wondered if someone would be happy for a friend to open up to them in the sense that their friend trusts them enough and relies on them like a friend would do. Or would it really just burden them and stress them out, and hence affecting their own mental health. I don't know the answer and I don't know what to do.

1 Reply 1

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi venng27

Welcome and good on you for having the courage to post!

There is nothing silly about what you have posted at all...The Beyond Blue forums are here for proactive people like yourself! If we didnt have new members like yourself the forums would cease to exist

A true friend will listen to us when we are going through a difficult time venng27..I used to have chronic anxiety followed by depression and having a talk/vent to a friend can be a huge help where our mental health is concerned....I understand that your friend is going through a rough time and fair enough....she may have a lot on her plate...so you make a good point.

If you want to open up and have a talk there are many super kind people here on the forums that can be here for you! The forums are a safe and non judgemental place for you to post

Can I ask if you are doing reasonably okay Venng27?

we are here and listening

Paul