FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No One Understands

FlowerGirl123
Community Member

Hi I am a 16 year old girl and I have been experiencing mental health for at least 6 years.

From a young age I was always the big child and that always make my Dad pick on me telling me I should stoping eating so much, or that I should be embarrassed about my weight, this went on for 2 years and really affecting how I looked at myself, I developed anorexia for the first year, my mother found out and thought that I could just stop, she doesn’t understand how difficult it is, my anorexia turned into bulimia for the next 5 years. Whilst this I found myself crying every night, I always end up hurting myself, I don’t know why? I have always felt like I make things more difficult for my parents, with food, and even grades, I’m not the smartest kid and they always expect me to get high marks, to achieve this I studied 24/7 to reach those high expectations but whilst doing this I developed serious anxiety and a bad habit of stressing, I want to tell them but they are old folk who believe that I’m making it up and it will just go away. My uncle passed away from depression while my dad was young, my dad felt like he was making it up.

what do I do?

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M

Hey FlowerGirl123,

Welcome to our friendly forums, we are so glad you decided to join us here. We know it can take a lot of strength to write the first post, so thank you for having the courage to reach out here. We're sorry to hear what you've been going through for the past 6 years. It sounds like these thoughts and feelings must be really tough to cope with, and we're so sorry that you're in such a difficult space right now. But please know that you've come to safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. Our Support Service are also currently reaching out to you through email as we are worried about you.

We'd also really recommend reaching out to our friends at Kids Helpline. They are a confidential and anonymous, counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under, and are available 24/7 through phone (1800 55 1800) and online chat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/

We would also really encourage you to reach out to our friends at the Butterfly Foundation- who are there to help support anyone concerned by eating disorders or body image issues. They also have a webchat and a hotline if you'd like to talk these feelings through with a friendly counsellor: https://butterfly.org.au/get-support/helpline/

We hope that you can find some comfort and support from our caring community, and please feel free to reach out here on your thread and keep us updated on how you're going, whenever you feel up to it.