FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Moving back to my old school

hatsunemiku
Community Member

So, a bit of backstory first... My mum moved an hour away from my highschool to live with her boyfriend. Due to this moving, I also moved schools to one around the corner from our new house. This happened around August of 2019. Currently, he has abused my mother verbally and physically while in the relationship but the police refuse to look at our evidence as it's a matter of Family Law, and we were evicted from the house because this ex boyfriend has convinced the police that we only lived there for one month too. I'm now living at my Nans for the time being which is nearby my old school. It's difficult to attend my current school as its an hour away, so my mum had suggested I move back to my old school as it's more convenient.

I'm in Year 11 so it's difficult moving schools during my prelims but I can see the pros of moving back. I would be with all my old friends, with teachers I know and in a familar environment. However, at this new school I met a girl and we've been dating for three months. We were both new students when we met so she is new to the school as well. I see how convenient it is to move back to my old school, but I don't want to leave my girlfriend in a new school with few friends, and it will also be a strain on our relationship trying long distance (realistically we probably won't see each other much if i go back to my old school). I'm really stumped. I know the right choice would be to go back to my old school but i really don't want to deal with any of this at all. It's all very stressful.

2 Replies 2

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi hatsunemiku (presumably not THE Hatsune Miku, but apologies if you are!),

Welcome to the forums. I'm so glad you found us here and were willing to share some of what you've been dealing with recently. Girlfriends, exams, moving, new school, and very serious family drama: a tough combination for anyone, especially a young person like yourself. It's no wonder you're stressed and don't want to deal with any of this! File under: high school crap that sucks.

The most important thing is the physical safety of yourself and your mother, and hopefully both of you have the resources you need to ensure this and resolve the more urgent domestic problems. However, it sounds like now that you're with your Nan you have a tough decision to make.

You sound very mature, as many young people wouldn't be able to clearly see the pros of going back to your old school, the convenience, etc. These are all very important things to consider. You mention that the schools are about an hour away. How would you commute between them? I wonder if you've shared any of these thoughts with your girlfriend, and gotten her take on things.

Would love to hear more.

Warmly,

Gems

josh1245
Community Member

hey hatsunemiku I would like to firstly like to welcome you to this wonderful community and I would like to applaud you for your incredible strength and bravery for saying your story ad what you are currently going through its something that you should be very proud of. I am really sorry that you in a difficult situation at the moment it sounds like you are at a crossroads at the moment. sometimes life doesn't always work they way we want but we need to be strong have the right support behind us to get through it and everyone in the beyondblue community is to support you. I believe that in situations like this you have to go with your gut.

I would like to hear more

regards josh