FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking For Resources To Help Me

Wet_Bread
Community Member

I have been looking for something or someone to help with my mental state for a while. I have not been diagnosed with any mental illnesses as I have never had the chance to talk to a professional. However, I have been experiencing a few suicidal thoughts throughout the weeks and so I took it as a sign to seek help.

School has been rough as this is now my 11th year, parents are now expecting more of me as I slowly age into a young adult, I no longer talk to my friends as I don't have the motivation to, I now sleep for an average of 4 hours because I have trouble falling asleep (currently taking medication for this issue), and life in general is a boring and tough concept to me. So, I really do want to change my perspective on these things and maybe talk to someone if it's what I need.

However, the issue is that I don't want my parents or anyone to know that I need to talk to the school council, therapist, phycologist, or any other professionals that are available. I don't want anyone to be concerned or worried about how I've been feeling and seeing them otherwise would make me feel even worse about myself.

I also have trouble calling up helplines and talking to them through calls as I tend to get extremely nervous and panicky whenever I do. I really hope to find some other alternative and I see this as the very last resort.

As a minor, is there a way to seek mental help without others knowing? Especially parents?

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Welcome to the forums Wet Bread, we are so glad you have decided to join us here. We know it can be hard to write the first post, so thank you for having the courage. We are sorry you have been struggling with suicidal thoughts. We understand that this must be overwhelming, especially if you struggle to open up to others and reach out. Please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. We are concerned about your wellbeing, so we are also reaching out to you privately to offer some support.
  You might find it helpful to contact Kids Helpline for support. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under.  Also, we recommend Headspace. Headspace is specifically for young people aged 12-25 and they offer a wide range of services in person, over the phone and online.   We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Wet Bread

I also want to welcome you to the forums. Likewise, I find it challenging to talk verbally, so it's great that there are text chat lines available now. It's definitely a good starting point. If you wanted to talk about anything here, this is also a great anonymous space to talk things through. We're not professionals, just fellow people trying our best with our struggles, but the members are warm and kind. I believe there are also sections just for young people, if you would be more comfortable with that.

Kind thoughts, Katy

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Wet Bread,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for being here.

Also wet bread- icky? (Sorry, couldn't help myself 😞 )

I'm sorry that you're struggling and glad that you reached out. That is not an easy thing to do!

So, options -

- Absolutely Kids Helpline is a great resource. They have a webchat as well so no need to talk to a person. There is a bit of a wait sometimes but they are really nice.

- Your school counsellor. It might be worth double checking the confidentiality with them but for the most part- nothing goes outside that session unless you were planning on hurting yourself, someone else or you are under 18 and being abused (child abuse).

- If you have your own Medicare card, you can get a MHCP (mental health care plan) from your GP and organise to see a psychologist. It's definitely a tricker one, but I have my own Medicare card so if that's something you're interested in I can help you get one too. Unfortunately unless you find a bulk-billing psychologist you'll be out of pocket (the others are free).

I hope this helps. Kids Helpline are the same too with confidentiality, otherwise everything is just between you and them. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks for reaching out, and take care.

rt

Splatty
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Good morning Wet Bread.

Others have already provided some great information in regards to how to seek help being a minor. Jumping on the forums and asking for advice is a great place to start as most of us have been through something similar, or currently are. Reaching out for help the first time can be the hardest step to take but it's also the most important. well done