FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Job issues

Lyssaa
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've started a casual job around 8-10 hours each weekend as a high school student around a month and a half ago, however, I'm not exactly enjoying it. Every time before I go into work, I feel sick to my stomach and I cannot concentrate on anything else because the thought of work makes me anxious. I've only had 17 shifts there but I have decided I'm going to quit. However, I feel like by quitting I'm just overreacting and being stupid. Here are some reasons that have added up to why I don't enjoy it

1. one of the girls there is kind of rude to me. She doesn't outright call me names, but when she speaks to me to correct me it is in a condescending tone and she looks and sounds like she is judging me. This makes me feel stupid and like I shouldn't be still making mistakes

2. When she told me she was going to clean the floors she told me if I spilt anything on the floor she was going to rage at me. She also always tells me to go faster, which makes me more stressed out, and no one else there makes those comments to me

3. Not many people there talk to me, and it seems like a cliquey environment. I don't want to approach them because they could all be like the other girl or she may put them off

4. The summer holidays have just started, and while schoolwork won't be an issue now, it will be next year when I start year 12 so I would have to leave anyway

5. The manager told me not to call in sick half an hour before work the week after I called in sick- however, I actually gave him two hours of notice

6. According to some other people who work there he got annoyed when one of the girls asked for less hours during her year 12 ATAR exams- and I have a four day holiday in a few months that I would need to ask time off for

7. The work is a juice store, so it's a fast-paced environment which is fine, but combined with all these other little things it doesn't make me feel great. I'm also dealing with some minor mental health issues on the side which I don't think my job is helping

8. When I quit I can go work at my mum's store for four hours a week and while that isn't as much, it'll be ok while I look for another job

My gut is telling me to leave because I don't want to feel constantly anxious and sick about work and have it affect my focus and concentration. But I can't shake the feeling that I'm just being stupid, dumb or that I'm a failure for not being able to handle it well, though everyone around me says I'm not. What do you guys think?

3 Replies 3

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Lyssaa,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your experiences.

While reading through what you had written, I was mentally saying "Leave! This place sounds awful!". And then I read your last paragraph.

You're not stupid, dumb or a failure for wanting to leave a situation in which you're unhappy. If I had been in your shoes, I'd have left as well. You're in Year 12 next year and that ought to be your priority instead of this bad workplace. In fact, you're not losing out on anything by leaving because you can still work at your mum's store while looking for another job.

You deserve to find a workplace where you are happy, or at the very least, satisfied. Not one which makes you feel sick to the stomach every time you think of going there.

There's nothing compelling keeping you in this workplace, so don't let your mind be your own enemy. Far from being a failure, you're being smart by leaving, since it's a decision that's best for yourself and your future.

Warmly,
M

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lyssaa,

I'm really sorry to hear that you have been feeling that way. My first experience of quitting was just this year after 2 weeks. I felt like crying all the time, didn't have much of an appetite and the thought of work made me have knots in my stomach. Someone once told me, you are replaceable at work but not replaceable in your home life. It means that the people who love you and care about you can see how it impacts you and you mean a lot to them. Someone also once told me that it takes a lot of strength to know when something is not right for you and to take action.

I can say that I definitely did not regret leaving and it was a big life lesson. All our situations are different but I think that if you listen to your gut and instinct the answer may be there.

I'm here for you! I completely know how you feel so please know that you are not alone.

randomspace
Community Member

Hi, that work job you have seems to be toxic. I would recommend if you feel uncomfortable and it doesn’t suit you to leave.

Your not bad, weak or a failure for wanting to leave an environment that is wrong. I had a similar experience with myself and leaving was probably the best thing in my life that had ever happened to me and I am serious.

I understand the guilt that you feel, and I know how much it struggles against what you want. Trust yourself and do what feels best