FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

It comes and goes in waves

_goldfish_:o
Community Member

Hey, I am a fairly new poster here but have been living with mental illness for a few years. One thing that I find hard is that a lot of my symptoms seem to come and go quite drastically. One week I'll be on top of the world and the next I'll be fighting off thoughts of SH. The 'hard periods' as I call them can last anywhere from a day to three months and don't happen at regular intervals either. I can also never identify anything that might trigger this when it happens. Does anyone else feel the same or have any advice? Or know why this happens? Or how to help/prevent it? I'm grateful for any help and/or suggestions 🙂

(and I apologise if I've written anything wrong in this post)

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello goldfish, we are only volunteers on the forums and can't diagnose you, only a doctor can do this, however it's possible for us to suggest that a mental illness where people have sudden highs and then lows, and may be for no obvious reason could be a particular illness that your doctor can prescribe medication for.

There are many people with this condition and hopefully will be able to get back to you, but in the meantime please see your doctor.

Geoff. 

Sophie_M
Dear _goldfish_:o,

We would like to welcome you to our forums, and to thank you for finding the strength and courage to write a post about the relative start of your journey. Our community is very supportive, helpful, and nonjudgemental.

We understand that you have only been living with mental illness for a few years thus far, and it is feeling confusing and concerning as your moods and emotions change unpredictably. It sounds like you may be asking if this is normal?

We would like to reassure you that what you are experiencing is normal for you because you are experiencing it. We would also like to encourage you to try and have patience with yourself as you learn about how you are now, and the changes you are experiencing. Oh, and yes, we understand that there are others who have experiences similar to that which you are now experiencing. Hopefully, some members who have similar experiences to you might reply here.

All that said, we have observed people, who supposedly don't have "mental illness", express similar outbursts to what you have expressed. So, we would like to encourage you to try and give yourself some love, patience, and acceptance, because you are important, and special, just the way you are.

Please remember, if you ever feel the need to talk to someone who will listen without judgement, you can call the BeyondBlue Support Service on 1300 22 4636. Their counsellors are available for a quick chat 24 hours a day, every day of the year. You can also call Lifeline on 13 1114, if you prefer.

Thanks again for joining our wonderful and supportive community, and please feel free to post whenever you wish.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.