FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is it only me with this kind of OCD????

Bella2201
Community Member

So i was diagnosed with OCD when i was in year 12 but i think i've had it since i was in year 4. It makes me feel disgusting and I hate living with it. During my lowest point, there was even an instance where i had to be admitted to a mental health facility because of my OCD along with my depression and anxiety. I just want to know if anyone else feels the same as me?

My OCD prevents me from wearing tight clothes like jeans because i hate the way it feels on my skin. It just feels cold and tight and when i get changed, i have to make sure theres no hair on my clothes or my body and i have to tie my hair up into a bun or something to prevent hair from falling out. I don't like the thought of their being hair in my clothes. Another thing is that I get really conscious about books (like textbooks, etc) because i feel like there is dust or hair in between the pages. Even putting a book on the shelf makes me clench my toes and fists because i feel like dust on the shelf is getting pushed into the books. My obsessive routine would be flipping through the pages and fanning through the pages upside down (if that makes any sense) to let the dust fall out.

i need help please. i cant find anything to help. Im a student and its winter so both these forms of my OCD is torturous

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Bella2201,

I'm sorry to hear that things have been so tough for you and that the current situation is triggering your OCD so much. I'm sure that a lot of the other posters here on the forums will have a lot of encouraging things to say, but I just wanted to let you know in the meantime that you can call us at our 24/7 helpline (AEST) 1300 22 4636 for general information about mental health services and referrals, or talk to us on our web chat (3pm to 12am).

There is also the OCD and Anxiety Helpline at 1300 269 438, which provides information specific to anxiety disorders and is open from 10am to 3pm.

uncut_gems
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bella,

I want to echo Sophie_M in expressing how sorry I am to hear that you're going through this. I have grappled with OCD for most of my life, and while my own compulsions and obsessions were slightly different, I absolutely know that horrible feeling you're describing. I wish I could make the feeling go away for you.

At times in my life my OCD has been more or less severe, and the obsessions themselves have changed; so you may find the same happens for you. That said, it doesn't make it any easier for you in your current situation.

It's like the compulsions sort of help quell the obsessive thoughts, but then the compulsions themselves become tedious, frustrating, or even embarrassing. The short answer to your question, then, is no– it is definitely not only you. OCD becomes a problem when it starts to interfere with our actual lives, and it sounds like you're really struggling. Do you think it would be beneficial to talk to a counselor about this? I personally have found success with exposure therapy, but there are lots of potential treatments that you might consider. Always happy to share my own experiences and chat more.

Warmly,

Gems