FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’ve been having reoccurring nightmares

Eyes_louder_than_words
Community Member
I’ve been having atleast one nightmare every night for the past two or so weeks. I was diagnosed with both social and general anxiety 3 years ago so It could play a part in it. Its got to the point I’m scared to sleep. I have to get up early tomorrow morning and it’s currently 1am :(. Tonight, just after I closed my eyes to sleep I saw this doorway and then all of a sudden this dog looking monster thing jumped out at me and as it hit me my body filled with terror and I jumped and opened my eyes again. This is the first one I’ve managed to actually remember properly all the other nights I just remember jumping and waking up and my body is full of fear and I feel like my hearts going crazy. I’m honestly so scared to sleep and I’m 18 so i thought this wouldn’t happen
1 Reply 1

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello eyes louder then words..

Welcome to the forums..

I can relate to you having nightmares of a night, and waking up in panic mode...I think myself personally that if we go to sleep without calming our mind these nightmares become more frequent..

I started meditating at night once I got into bed, then I would listen to a peaceful sleep story on you tube, most times I fall asleep before the person telling the story has finished...and I find the nightmares are not happening that much anymore....maybe you could try doing something like that once you get into bed...

Can I ask you if you have professional help with your anxiety...or have you spoken to your gp about your nightmares..your GP..might set you up on a mental health care plan if he/she thinks it will benefit you..

Also deep breathing can help to calm your racing heart when you wake in panic...Slowly in counting to 4 slowly..then hold for 5 then out for the count of 7 slowly releasing your air...then repeat a few times...

Please look after yourself the best you can..and talk here anytime you feel up to it or in need of some support..

My kindest thoughts with care..

Grandy..