FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I need a hug

DanThaman
Community Member

Hey everyone.

Im 22 years old and am currently on mid year break between university semesters. I've recently had a surgical operation and am currently recovering at home over the holidays (fun right). It's given me a lot of time to think about my life and social anxiety growing up, i keep thinking how things could have been or what would have happened if i had of done things differently.

I've made a promise to myself to break out of my shell more starting this semester, in whatever ways that push my social anxiety in a positive direction, its a scary thought but I'm excited at the prospect. I feel as though i can finally start to live and experience things other people my age do.

I enjoy my own company and being by myself, but sometimes i feel as though i just want to hug somebody and express whatever's on my mind without fear of judgment. It sounds stupid, and I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way.

I guess being stuck at home alone doesn't help, but i have my dog beside me 24/7 and he keeps me company. Pets are great 😄

I apologise for the vent, i just needed to write something down.

3 Replies 3

Fairywings
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey mate thanks for joining us big hug to you xx It's not stupid what ur asking living alone can get lonely at times it's OK to want to have someone to share ur thoughts with and share some affection with. Sorry to hear about ur op hope that you heal quickly so you can back into enjoying life. I'm happy that you have made the decision to push past ur social anxiety and get out of ur comfort zone, blessings will only eventuate from this. Let me tell you ur def not the only one to feel this I can assure you. Yes dogs are very gorgeous and so much part of our lives. I'm glad to see that you have come here to vent that is what we are here for, you can engage with any of us here on the forums as many times as you like without any form of judgement xx nice to have met you hope to speak with you again Venessa 🙂

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Dan,

I remember talking to you when you were about to have your operation. I'm glad you are through it and looking after yourself. Enjoying your own company is a positive in many ways 🙂

It is great that you want to move forward by gradually getting out of your comfort zone socially. Thinking back to how things could have been done differently is, as I'm sure you're aware, not exactly helpful. However, this can be an easy "thought trap". There is often a silver lining in even negative experiences. For me, I realise that being shy and not having a large social network as a teen did have some perks. For instance, I was less affected by peer pressure and didn't get involved in drama or gossip. Having experienced social anxiety means you probably have a greater sense of empathy for others who are going through challenges.

Wanting a hug or affection from someone is completely natural. Being able to explain yourself and talk without judgement is important to many people. This is something I truly value. I also like having a hug from someone when I need cheering up.

Your dog looks cute in your picture by the way 🙂 To keep yourself occupied, maybe ask a family member to get some books and DVD's for you from the library. Having entertainment and distractions is great when you are house-bound and in recovery.

I hope you've had a relaxing day 🙂

All the best,

SM

Carmela
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Dan, lots of hugs being sent your way....ooooooooooooooooooooooo

You are never alone - we are here at BB ready to listen.

Rest up and enjoy the company of your furbaby - animals are wonderful healers.

Carmela xo