FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I hope it gets better from here.

em35353
Community Member

Hi,

I don't have any friends at school, school counsellors will tell my parents everything and my parents have already spent so much money on therapy for me, I can't put them through any more. The only thing keeping me going is that if I left my parents and family would go through so much pain. I have no friends at school, people only talk to me when there is no one else around or when they need to take the piss out of someone. Sometimes I even sit in the bathroom by myself for the day because its the only option for me at my school. I feel like I am just a burden to all the people I know and just ruin things by sitting with them because I'm so shy and quiet with people I don't know that well. I just want to be normal and live my life happily. I would give anything to not feel like this anymore and just enjoy my life, because I really want to but haven't for a long time. I have tried so hard to change my mindset, be more confident in myself and make more friends but it just doesn't get better for me even though I try.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi em35353,

We are so grateful you have opened up to us. We know it isn't easy but it is so important that you have. We are so sorry to hear how much you are struggling right now but want you to know things can get better.

Our forums are a safe place where users give and receive support to one another based on their own experiences with mental health, many of which may have similarities to yours. We want you to know we're here to provide you with as much support, advice, understanding and conversation as you need. That said, it's important to keep in mind that the peer support offered here, while often quick, it is not immediate. For more immediate support we recommend reaching out to our support service on 1300 22 4636 anytime day or night for breif counselling and referrals to help you find the help you need. You might also like to reach out to our friends at Kidshelpline on 1800 55 1800. They also offer 24/7 webchat counselling if you are more comfortable typing than talking about what's going on: https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

Once again, thank you for reaching out to our wonderful online forums community. Please continue reaching out and checking in to let us know how you're getting on whenever you feel up to it.

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi em35353

I wanted to welcome you with open arms and a huge hug and say how proud I am of you for finding your way here and for sharing how you are feeling at the moment, it is not easy being at school, in fact if I am totally honest with you it is pretty average! School is hard, young people who are all struggling to find where they fit, make sure they fit at the expense of others and also figure out what the heck they are supposed to be "doing with their lives"...wow what horrible pressure.

Can I tell you that it gets better, that school is such a small part of your life journey but coming from some one who is now 46 I can tell you that there are so many wonderful moments to come for you. They say "school is the best years of your life"...well that is in my experience simply not true. However, these things that do happen at school and the way we feel about ourselves does form part of the resilience that we will have in life, as things don't always go to plan, that you will learn so much about yourself, the person you want to be, and I don't mean from a career point of view..I mean things like values and want resonates inside with you.

I understand that you feel guilt for the amount of money your parents have spent on therapy, but can I suggest to you that you are worth every single penny...and will continue to be worth every penny more as your mental health does not have a dollar value, also the fact that your parents are so very willing to get you the support you need I am sure they feel the same way too. That these thoughts that you are not worth the money they are spending is just that, thoughts and they are not truths...you are so very worth it em35353 and I think your parents feel like that too.

The journey to wellness can take time and you are allowed to give yourself as much time as you need, there are no rule books on this, no easy way, no right way, no wrong way...just the way for you and you doing what works for you.

I am so happy and proud you have come here to chat and to get some comfort and support, I am here with you sitting right next to you to listen to as much as you would like to share and to chat about anything you would like to.

You are no burden, you are a young person who is going through a bumpy time and this does not mean burden...you matter and we care.

But to comment on your statement...I hope it gets better...it sure does..it absolutely does...

Huge hugs to you and I hope to chat some more to you.

Sarah xxxx