FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

i don't want to keep going

Richardb3
Community Member
I have too many problems and some of them feel impossible to solve. I feel stuck and hopeless. I pray to God everyday and get no help. I now know there is nothing out there that wants to help me - I am alone and I am limited.
12 Replies 12

Sophie_M
Dear Richardb3,

Welcome back to the forums, we are sorry to hear that you are dealing with so many problems at present and we are so pleased you have reached out. We can hear that you feel there is no help out there, we would still encourage you to discuss this current feeling of ‘hopeless’ with your G.P. Your G.P is a vital point of contact to be assessed and receive referrals to other mental health services. If you would like to give Beyond Blue a call, we would be happy to discuss how to have this conversation with them in detail.

We just wanted to remind you we are always here for you to chat. If you feel you need to talk please contact Beyond Blue either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

We would also like to suggest Lifeline on 13 11 14 or at https://www.lifeline.org.au/crisis-chat/

Alternatively we would also recommend the suicide call back service, they offer a range of contact methods that can be accessed via https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/phone-and-online-counselling/ or by giving them a call on 1300 659 467.

If at any point those thoughts of suicide become overwhelming, or you no longer feel say we urge you to contact emergency services on 000.

We hope that you find the support and direction that you are seeking on the forums. Once again, we are so glad you have come back to the forum community.

Warm regards
Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Richardb, sometimes people are entitled to believe in God helping them, and I can't take that away from them, it's their belief, however, I am not religious and gave up believing some 60 years ago, we also can't be blamed for doing this.

When a person is suffering from any type of depression, they believe there isn't any hope because they are at a stage where their negative thoughts dominant how they are feeling and they can't see any light, you shouldn't blame yourself for feeling like this and you should never feel this to be a weakness.

Being alone only empathises how you are feeling, but if I can say it's no different to how others are when struggling with this and most of us on this site have been in exactly the same position, now all of us try and help and explain how you are able to slowly overcome this.

Sophie has given you many good links for you to browse over, plus you can contact Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat and/or online, these people are trained counsellors, but they dress in casual clothes which may alter the way you can talk with them.

All your problems can be sorted out, it's just the need to be brave o be able to talk with someone and virtually impossible to solve by yourself, because you keep going around in circles, not achieving anything.

That's how I was many years ago and now fortunate enough to have been able to talk through my problems when needed and to understand why I felt that way.

We hope you feel comfortable talking with us, as we have had to struggle through our own types of problems and now talk to each other, so we hope to hear back from you.

Take care.

Geoff.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Richardb3

I feel for you deeply as you feel so abandoned at the moment. It can be such a torturous deeply depressing feeling, that feeling of abandonment.

As a gal who was raised Catholic, I'd describe myself as more of a general spiritual person these days. In my search for a greater divine connection over the years, one of the things I came to question was 'prayer' or how we're taught to pray. To some, the following might sound questionable but I've found it works for me and a lot of other people too...

If prayer is a 2 way channel, it doesn't just come down to what we send out, it also involves what what comes back to us in response. I'll offer an example of prayer from 2 difference perspectives, based on a job that may be leading us to despair

• We may ask 'Why am I so pathetic? Why can't I cope with this job? Why am I so hopeless?' What comes to mind next is something that we may perceive as our following thought, 'You are, simply, pathetic. You'll never be able to cope with this job. You are simply hopeless and that's all there is to it'. Now, of course, this sounds seriously depressing
  • Before I continue, I'll mention the original meaning of the work 'pathetic'. Being of Greek origin, pathetikos is defined as 'the ability to feel'. Makes sense when considering the meaning of the word 'empathetic'. So, in asking our 3 questions while in prayer, the response could be seen as a divine one, of clarity and guidance, not simply a continuation of our thoughts. 'You are, simply, pathetic (you are simply a feeler who is designed to feel). You'll never be able to cope with this job (because it's stressful and depressing and that's exactly what you're feeling, as a feeler). You are simply hopeless (because, understandably, you can't sense hope in this soul destroying job) and that's all there is to it'. Seeing prayer in this way, the answer becomes 'I have to leave this job. It's clearly soul destroying'

Wondering if you've heard of Neale Donald Walsch. He's written a number of books in relation to divine channeling/prayer. While such a thing can be seen as being so far outside the square it's bordering on 'insane', this is a practice that's been positively mind altering and life changing for some. And while some may say that the answers that come to mind regarding our questions simply come from a more conscious part of our brain, others will state it's all simply divine - the answers that come from out of the blue.

Hope this helps in some way 🙂

yggdrasil
Community Member

Hi Richardb3,

Thank you so much for posting on here. I'm so sorry you're in such a difficult place at the moment. Feeling stuck is the worst, and can be extremely disempowering.

What do you think is the smallest possible step you could take to one day, perhaps, become unstuck? The step can be so small it seems rediculous. For example, if you're having trouble getting out of bed, you might resolve to just wriggle your toes a bit. Find a step so small it seems silly, but that you know is achievable, even in your very low state. Ignore the mean, cynical internal voices that say "your situation is hopeless, don't bother". If there's some glimmer of hope you can achieve something small (like wriggling toes), focus on that, and worry about hoping or despairing about bigger things another day.

Once you make one tiny, tiny step, you might try making another one, but there's no need to rush. Can you bend and extend your knees? Maybe you could even shift one leg out of bed. You can always shift it back to bed again afterward.

I'm not sure what you're actual situation is, maybe you're not stuck physically, but in some other way. Hopefully as a metaphor the above still makes sense. Consider writing down three tiny achievements each day. I did this for months when I was in a bad state. These achievements, like "leaving the house", were meaningless by external standards, but massive for me, as they took huge willpower to achieve.

I think when we get into these really dark, dysfunctional places, there are usually both external and internal problems that need to be addressed. Sometimes mental health advice only focuses on the internal. What I've found in my own life is that you need to fight both the internal and external challenges at the same time.

Looking for the smallest possible changes you can make to your external world (e.g. by moving your body, or washing the dishes) can feedback onto your internal state. In this way you can slowly become unstuck, both internally and externally. Maybe some of your external problems will persist for ever, but by continually trying to make tiny, tiny little improvements maybe you can solve other problems you'd never even spotted before. I think you can really surprise yourself just how much hope is justified, even if your hope is rewarded in a totally different area of your life that you initially wanted.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Richardb3,

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand it would be hard.

Im here to listen to you.

I understand that sometimes we feel like we have so many problems and we can feel stuck.

Sometimes we just need a new perspective in things.

Do you want to talk about your problems with us?

Please know your not alone and as a community we want to help you.

Please never give up hope…..

Thanks for your response. So does prayer work? I grew up believing that God helps people in times of need but after calling out hundred of times I realise that God does not care about my problems - maybe 'it' cannot interfere? I know that I do need some divine intervention though, in order to fix my life.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Richardb3,

I just wanted to add one more thing 😊

When I was in the depths of OCD I cried out so many times for Jesus to help me….. I prayed more than any other time in my life……..

I was in so much despair inside myself all I could see was darkness…. I was so scared..

I would read from a book that had beautiful paragraphs from Jesus I would just randomly open to a page and read from it…….

I would ask Jesus to “ renew my mind” I’d pray for this every day…..

One day I opened my book randomly and read something from Jesus s paragraph that really resonated with me… this struck something inside me I knew that some how Jesus was with me and listening… he would never leave me in my time of need… he walked beside me……..

I held onto this faith…

I believe that my life was intended to have the challenges of mental health that I experienced, they were here to make me strong and to make me grow into the person I am today…..

I believe that my life purpose is to help others who are struggling with mental health conditions….

If Jesus hadn’t put me through these challenges I wouldn’t know what I know now …….

With the wisdom and self growth I obtained from the storm I was put through I learned unexplainable things.

I believe it bought me to my life purpose and now I’m living in Jesus s glory by helping others…… Im doing Jesus s work now by living my life purpose….

The dark times in my life I now see as a blessing because it has made me the person I am today….

My life purpose was something bigger than the person I was and I had to grow into who I was becoming.

Maybe you have a life purpose that you still don’t have the bigger picture for yet…… but don’t give up… keep up your faith… and all will be revealed… all in good time ❤️🙏

Thanks again for your response. I don't really care about my life purpose. I just want to enjoy life. That's it.

That’s ok Richardb3,

You can learn to enjoy your life 😊

Sometimes it takes a bit of perseverance from what we are experiencing…..

Can I ask what you enjoy?