FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don’t think I will ever be independent.

ElieAC
Community Member

I’m 19 and attempting (not well) to become financially independent and make something for myself.

I study Nursing at uni and have been told I should be paying for myself and so am trying to work whilst at uni. I’m not exceedingly intelligent and academia is no strength of mine; as a result, I’m finding I can’t work the hours that are conducive to financial stability if I want the grades that are conducive to success post University.

It’s very much a lose-lose situation.

Hence, I’m seeking advice.

What is the greatest advice you’ve been given on the road to being able to support yourself financially?

3 Replies 3

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

The best advice I ever had came as a suggestion when I was 15yo...to join the defence, the ADF, Army, Navy or RAAF.

It doesn't have to be lifelong. The benefits include

• Adult wages
  • Cheap accommodation and meals and free uniforms
  • Fitness
  • Fun
  • Free dental and medical
  • Huge range of professions to choose
  • Travel
  • Comrederie
  • Financial security

Once I left the RAAF I had no trouble finding work with my experience as employers knew I was of good character. I also received a commendation for my contribution to the Cyclone Tracey relief effort. Such things help you throughout your life.

TonyWK

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Work in a job where u interact with people

It always looks good on resumes, even if you're a sales clerk etc

Having a safe, stable home is jnportant, never forgo that to save Money, a mistake I made

And independence is also about feeling good, if u accept help from your folks Ur still indeodent if earning your own money, as well.

This is an option I had not thought about. I shall research this further, it seems like it could teach me a lot.

Thankyou for your advice, I sincerely appreciate it.