FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I don't feel emotions

zoeoe
Community Member

now, when I say this I don't mean that I don't cry, that I don't laugh - what I'm saying is, when I cry I don't feel sad, when I laugh I don't feel happy. I don't know when this started, or if I've been living like this all my life and only realised it's not normal now. The only emotions I feel are guilt, anger and fear (at appropriate times, of course. except for guilt, the guilt can come out of nowhere and is almost 100% of the time completely out of the blue and for no reason). It's not like I don't feel ANYTHING at all, though - I can feel something, I just cannot recognise what I'm feeling (if that makes sense). Normally, when a person feels happy they recognise what they feel as happiness, but I can't do that, which, in turn, causes me to feel no emotion at all. I just feel numb, all of the time. What is wrong with me?

some info about me:

im a 13 (turning 14) year old female.

4 Replies 4

grt123
Community Member
When my daughter was your age, a stranger moved in and walked around in her body for a couple of years. Weird stuff happened - she acted different, withdrew and was prone to fits of temper that came out of nowhere. I'd find broken stuff in her room that she just destroyed in a rage over who knows what. We'd go shopping for a new doona or clothes or makeup - fun stuff that she should have been so into but we'd come home empty handed because she just couldn't get excited about anything. I think what's happening for you is the same thing - it's a transition phase between being a little girl and a young woman. There's a lot more to growing up than simply getting periods you know?! Your whole mind and body get's transformed and for a while you'll feel you're not quite in the driver seat. Don't overthink it and don't despair. Your friends and classmates are all going through something similar. Be a passenger for a while, be kind to yourself and ride it out.

Psychologistry
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It's natural. Nothing is wrong with that. It's simply a transition phase. Everyone goes through it. Your body is trying to mature and step into adulthood.

When I was a young boy, I used to love playing hide and seek with my parents at the supermarket. But when I started being a teenager, the supermarket was simply a place to grab stuff, pay for it and go. My parents tried to encourage me, but it was a flat no.

I also used to be fascinated by the items in the supermarket. There were just so much things to buy. Every time, I would try out a new type of candy, buy a new toy...etc... But then teenage years came, and all I bought were snacks, drinks, deodorant and stuff on the grocery list. I wasn't at all interested.

The point is, don't worry. You are a perfectly normal girl. Just let the transition flow by like a river...

alma_63685
Community Member

I understand how you're feeling. I feel the same way right now and I don't know why. I feel as if I can't recognise my feelings and I feel like there's something wrong with me. I usually. randomly feel feelings of. sadness and hopelessness on a daily basis just randomly. Anyways girly reply to me if you can because I thought that I was the only one..

Info~ 11 year old girl turning 12.

Hey zoeoe, your feelings are normal, you're just growing up. Although if you feel that your feelings are distressing you, you might want to talk to a close friend or a trusted adult such as a doctor. I was 14 years old before (a long time ago) so I understand where you're coming from.