FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am never giving up πŸ’ž

Gracieee
Community Member

Last year (2014), I was running at my athletics club when all of a sudden I had a stabbing pain in my ribs. I finished the race and went straight to hospital. Later I was diagnosed with scoliosis 24Β° and I have to wear a brace. The pain was from a rib dislocating. Now I have been forced to stop doing the thing I love most. Everyday is a struggle to walk let alone sit at school and carry my 10kg bag around. Anyways, things got easier and I then furthermore developed depression/anorexia. I lost 20kg in 2 months and was hospitalized due to bradycardia arithmetics. I nearly died. But now I am fully weight restored and I am making new friend and slowly learning to move past my childhood dream. Anyways my therapist says I am recovering extremely well, and basically I just want to help others by sharing my experience.

●I was an international track and field athlete

●scoliosis stopped my dream

●anorexia took over

●i recovered

●my grades have gone from a D to a B-A

●my new dream is to be in the army

●I hope i have inspired someone to realise that you can do ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING, if you believe in yourself. 

5 Replies 5

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Gracieee, welcome to beyond Blue Forums

I commend you. Wow, what a great attitude.

There is only one thing missing- plan B.

Your dream is to join the Army. Having had a previous defence force background joining has many tests- physical, psychological and background. Being rejected doesnt mean you are abnormal, it means you are not able to meet their high demands.

Life needs to be approached in a fluid way, constant adjusting to what comes flying at you. At 17yo I simply wasnt prepared for not being able to join aircrew in the RAAF. I joined as a radio technician but knew zero about electronics hence my failing their technician course. I ended up a librarian and left after 3 years. My career paths were in a mess.

So continue to be positive- that alone will get you through life with wonder and a smile. But have a plan B, be realistic and fluid. Its great to read a post like yours.

Tony WK

morgs29
Community Member

Hi Gracieee!

WOW! You are a star! I can really feel how strong you are and your attitude towards life. Be proud!

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 12 year old. I had 3 curvatures in my spine, from memory they were around 90, 70 and 30 degrees. I was pretty bent out of shape! When I came out of surgery, I had to wear a brace for a really long time and it takes a lot of adjusting to! I wasn't a field athlete like you, but I can so relate with being diagnosed with depression, which I was when I came out of hospital. It takes a lot of adjusting and getting used to feeling how different our bodies are with the scoliosis, and how it impacts on our life. You are an incredibly brave, strong & resilient person to come through everything you have. You inspire me!

Keep your dreams and work on them every day. It's wonderful to hear you are making new friends and accepting who you are. You sound like a very special person and I'm sure those that know you are all the better for you being in their lives.

Thank you so much for sharing and always feel free to come back to this community and share your journey with us πŸ™‚

Morgan

blueangel
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Gracieee,

Thank you so much for posting your story, it truly is such an inspiration that you have come through a series of difficult situations and come out stronger!

I love your positive attitude and I want to encourage you to continue to aim high no matter what life throws at you in the future. The journey to joining the army may not be an easy one but I am confident you will get there. You are a strong, talented girl and I know that you will conquer any further obstacles that come your way if put your mind and heart to it - like you said, ANYthing is possible and dreams do come true.

Please do keep in touch on the forums and provide updates on your progress to reaching your dream and know that when times get tough, I and many others who have read your story will be cheering you on!

Best of Luck!

Keep Smiling and Keep Positive!!

-Blueangel

xx

Lori
Community Member

Hi Gracieee!

What an inspirational story. Not everything always goes to plan and works out the way its meant to and when something doesn't go to plan or something gets in the way of it it, always remember its because there is something better waiting for you. 

I myself have always had my heart set on working with animals as a job, until the start of last year the doctors had found i had a curved spine and said continuing work in the animal industry would only make it worse. I thought about my options and i am now currently studying to be a clinical Psychologist. A big change from animals but i do believe that its a better path for me and i couldn't be happier with my decision and i am happy with the way it all turned out for me.

The thing that inspires me the most is that even though you had to face this giant hurdle, you still manage to keep your head held high and stay strong. It's great that you have found another career path to follow and im sure you will push through and succeed. 

I love your strength, your courage and your positive attitude you have. Good on you for pushing forward, your an inspiration! πŸ™‚ 

- Lori 

Narniakid
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Gracieee!

Welcome to BB and thank you for sharing your story with us! You are a very strong woman to get through all that and I am wishing you all the best. I hope you will inspire and help the others on the forum who are in need of some hope and encouragement.

Keep up the great work!

Crystal