FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How do I tell my parents I think I'm depressed?

madsan
Community Member

For the past 2 months I've had a strong feeling I'm depressed. I've tried bringing it up to my parents but I don't know how to do it. I feel as though they might shrug it off and forget about it or either overreact.

I was thinking about going straight to my GP but I strongly feel I need to tell my parents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi madsan,

Welcome to Beyond Blue. You do not say how old you are however I am assuming that you are quite young because you are concerned with telling your parents.

If you a worried about your parents being supportive and understanding, you could decide to go to see your doctor first. This way you would find out if you are depressed and what the doctor suggests might be the best treatment for you. You could then get one or both of your parents to go to the doctors with you so that the doctor can explain to them.

One of the problems your parents may have dealing with it is lack of understanding. I know that I did when my son first told me. So it might help to print out some of the information on the site here to have with you when you have your conversation.

If you are concerned about going to see the doctor by yourself and do not want to tell your parents do you have someone else in your family or a friend who would be able to help you.

Grateful.

madsan
Community Member

Hi GratefulToday,

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll take them into great consideration.

Kind regards

Mairead
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Grateful

I have a daughter who has suffered with depression off and on since she was 15.  She told me at the time and I went with her to the doctor so we could both get support with this proplem. I am sure your parents will understand but tell them everything you are feeling, I am sure they love you and will support you. My daughter and I still have long talks about it on her bad days. Please be brave and tell them it will help you so much.

Good luck

S

Holly_K
Community Member

Hi

was wondering, how can I find out if I have depression? without telling my parents, I am only young so cant go see the GP myself?

Hey Holly,

Thanks for posting. On the BeyondBlue website we have a checklist called the K10 which goes through some symptoms of depression. It's a helpful tool to start with, in order to get a rough idea of where you're at.

(Copy and Paste link) https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety-and-depression-checklist-k10

Headspace also has a page with some helpful information for you to check out if you want.

https://www.headspace.org.au/young-people/understanding-and-dealing-with-depression-for-young-people/

I understand that telling your parents can be scary, especially if you don't really know what's happening for you at the moment, but I always do encourage telling someone, even a friend, a teacher, or a school counsellor. It's important to have a support network who can help you and encourage you too.

Feel free to check in with us if you need a bit more info.

Tris_1
Community Member

Hi, I’m Tris and am 14 years old.

I think I have depression and anxiety. I’ve read many replies on here about how to tell your parents about it, many replies say to go to your GP. I can’t get there without my Mum. What am I mean are to do? I did you depression rest and got 44(high). It said it’s not good. I’ve been seeing a counsel at school but it’s not helping. My mother does not know about this. I fear Shen is going to brush it off or not understand.

Please help.

Kind regards,

Tris

Hi Tris

Welcome and good on you for having the courage to post too!

This thread topic is an old one and you will have more replies if you post a new thread topic under 'Young People'

Sometimes not letting our mum or dad know that we feel anxious or depressed can make us feel bad as well

There are also super caring people people on the 'Kids Helpline' that is open 24/7 for you too on 1800 55 1800

Sorry...I know you are teenager. The help line is open to all young people up to 17! It is private too!

We are still here if you need us Tris. Please let us know if you need any help

I have a strong feeling that your mum wont brush you off Tris...You will feel better after having a talk

Im Paul...a volunteer on the Beyond Blue forums

Ult1mat3X86
Community Member
If you can't talk with your parents directly, then try to express your issues is on the paper or in online if you know where your parents visits, sometime it's a better way if you can't discuss it