FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First Year Of Uni

Ursy
Community Member

I am currently in my first year of university at the age of 25, studying counselling full-time. However, I am finding it more challenging than I anticipated. I graduated from high school in 2016, but even then, I only did the bare minimum to pass. Back then, I never cared about being there, as I was going through personal issues. My mother became addicted to drugs, my father's health was poor, and I had to take care of my younger sister.

Despite the challenges, I have experienced a lot in my life and have made significant progress in my mental health. I know that I will be a good counsellor someday. However, I feel like I am learning how to study and work on my own, which is causing me to feel overwhelmed. This feeling is particularly noticeable in my eyes, and I feel a heaviness that is hard to overcome, especially when I should be focusing or researching.

I am fortunate to live at home with my dad, who does not charge me rent. However, I do have the added responsibility of helping him. He has stage 4 heart failure and does not support my studies. Instead, he often asks when I will get a job. While I would love to earn my money, I am still struggling with my first seven weeks of university.

I have noticed that my old binge-eating habits are coming back, and I am aware that it is probably because I do not want to feel awful. I want to do well, and I understand that I am learning. However, it is taking a toll on my motivation, and I feel alone in this. I know that for the next 5-6 weeks, I will be continuously producing assignments, which is making me stressed out.

I would appreciate any tips or advice that you could provide. 

Thanks, Ursula 🙂

1 Reply 1

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Ursu

what a lot of lived experiences yiu have in caring fir others and learning how cope with your struggles. I think yiu would make a supportive counsellor.

First you have to learn about studying and tine management. Do you have a student counsellor who helps with students especially those who have been away from study fir many years.

i returned to study when I was 40 with 3 young children. I studied externally and felt overwhelmed. I found a study counsellor who gave ne confidence and organisational tips and a study plan.

Ursula can yiu get respite care for your dad.

There is help and support  available.

Take care