FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling unsure of studying and struggling with work.

LadyFlower
Community Member

Hi there,

I’m 24 years old and for almost a year and a half now, I’ve been studying a masters of social work. I enjoyed it last year, but between everything this year with Covid I’ve come to feel like I don’t want to study anymore.

I’m going onto placement in 2 months and I’m petrified, I’ve been told this is normal but I just feel so worried and unsure of myself. How about supposed help others if I’m a mess?

On top of that, I work in a retail environment that has not shut down at all during these times. So I’ve been juggling the two.

I guess I’m wondering if anyone else has felt like this and what are some things I can look at doing to help me move forward.

4 Replies 4

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi LadyFlower,

Thank you for your post. I can guarantee you that with COVID-19 you are not alone in how you are feeling.

I just wanted to quote your post about how to help others if you're a mess - and to that I say - use it! Everyone is a mess right now. Life is so incredibly hard. This pandemic has affected so many different people in lots of different ways. Being able to show understanding, empathy and just being human is so so important when connecting with clients.

I imagine that in your course you may have learned about building rapport and the importance of having therapeutic relationships with your clients? This is just one way you can do this. I know that everyone finds comfort in having someone who can truly listen and relate to them.

rt

Lola_Lou
Community Member

Hi LadyFlower

I hope your feeling better, I understand what your going through. I am also in my last year of social work and starting my final placement.

Lola_Lou
Community Member

Sorry I didnt get to post the rest. Having nerves before placement is deff normal especially if you are going through a difficult time.

When I have this feeling I usually do some research on the placement so I understand it better. Also speak to your supervisor they can deff help. Take each day at a time, understand that you are new to the placement and that they will understand that your new.

Dont forget self care after placement, looking after yourself is key. Could be by relaxing and watching a movie or anything that brings you joy.

I hope this helps, dont fret you got this 🙂 I believe in you. And you are so close to finishing dont give up. x

Blake_S
Community Member
Hey LadyFlower

Thank you for your post, and please give yourself a pat on the back for having the courage to reach out for help.

It sounds like there's been a range of anticipatory anxiety about commencing your placement, perhaps you're worried about what could go wrong before you've had an opportunity to see what placement is like. This is difficult and often overwhelming position to be in, and that's in addition to your workplace environment and the changes due to COVID-19. I can understand how all of these factors can feel overwhelming and decrease your motivation to continue the study, I'm sorry that you've been experiencing this distress, but trust that we are here to help and support you.

Anxiety is a normal thing to experience, and it is part of what makes us human, so it is perfectly normal to feel anxious, scared and worried about undertaking placement. The good news is that, once we are in an environment that makes us anxious, the longer we are in that environment the less present our anxiety is. So it might be scary at the start, but as soon as you get into it the anxiety will lessen. I hope you being aware of that information might bring you some peace to know that a high level of anxiety will not be there for too long!

I am also in the helping profession, and I can tell you from experience that often once you get into your placement environment and start working with people your "I'm nervous and I can't help people like this" mindset will often switch to "how can I help this person, what can I do to improve their situation" positive mindset will set in - this is often fuelled by motivation. I'm going to presume that you are in social work to make a positive difference, is that right? If so, you have the right intentions, the right drive - you've got this! Have some faith in your abilities, and trust that your anxiety will diminish. If it doesn’t, reach out and let us know, because we will be able to provide you with support - you're not alone here.

I hope that you'll write back and let us know how you're feeling about placement approaching.

Thanks,
Blake_S :)