FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling hopeless and unemployed

Buttermilkbob
Community Member

Hey there, this is my first post.

I'm 24 I don't have a job or any skills, I was terrible at school and I was told from an early age that I have a language disorder. Through primary and high school I was always behind on my work and was constantly in learning assistance programs throughout my school years. Coming out of high school I went to tafe and struggled to finish my deploma which I didn't complete. As a result of my early schooling I feel as if I can barley articulate myself properly and struggle to find the words that I want to say, or follow a conversation or do anything competently, and struggle to do basic maths of any sort.I've had the odd jobs here and there but nothing lasting more than a year, i can barley hold down a job and just feel as if I wasn't properly prepared for being an adult and feel bitter, stupid and incompetent and quite honestly scared for the future.

3 Replies 3

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Buttermilkbob,

It sounds like you are going through a tough time. Just remember you are so strong.

Firstly, you are still young. You have many more years to come and develop new experiences. You are still learning and will probably never stop.

Many psychologists say that you don't turn into a true adult until you turn 31, but that depends on the person. So you still have many years to go.

Please stay safe and I am here to chat if you need me.

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Buttermilkbob,

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I hear you. I relate so much to your words about not being adequately prepared for adulthood. This is a common experience for most people. Honestly, being an adult is super difficult, and you're definitely not alone in your experience.

I also want you to know that being behind academically or partaking in learning assistance programs is not a sign of weakness and incompetence at all. It just means that you have strengths and skills in different areas. I know plenty of very intelligent people who began their schooling life in various learning assistance programs, and they've become very successful in their chosen fields. It's also a great sign that you've recognised your need for help in this area.

Do you have any friends or family in your support network? These connections can help you cope with the stresses and challenges of everyday life. Depending on the kind of relationship you have with them, family may also be able to offer you some kind of financial, emotional, or work assistance if needed.

With regards to finding a job, my recommendation would be to find some kind of program that will help you build skills and experience to put on your resume. There are always government assistance courses and training programs (like TAFE) that can help you upskill and find a job that's right for you. It may help to conduct a bit of research into what's out there, and find something that suits you.

Is there a reason that you feel you've been struggling to stay in a job? Does it have something to do with self-doubt or perhaps lack of experience? What kinds of jobs have you had?

If you are feeling up to re-entering the workforce, there are lots of entry level jobs, like packing shelves at supermarkets that can offer you valuable experience, networking opportunities, and could even be a gateway to other jobs once you've built up your confidence and competence.

I would also recommend, if you are able, having a chat with a psychologist, GP, counsellor or therapist about your experiences. They may be able to offer you some more professional advice and help you set a direction for the future.

Thinking about the future can be scary, I understand. But you're still so young, with so much life ahead of you, so you've got plenty of time to experience things, get your foot in the door somewhere, and find a career path that really resonates with you.

Take care, and I wish you all the best in your situation.

SB

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Buttermilkbob, you are employable.

Have you considered seeking out organisations that employ people who have learning disabilities? Where I live there are some amazing companies that employ and train people who have disabilites, mainly in hospitality services. With the right support and employer, I think you are going to do a really good job. Get in contact with some employment agencies in your area and have a talk with them. They can help support you and assist in matching you up with an appropriate employer.

Hope this helps