FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

feeling down

Jazkels
Community Member

I have been feeling quite down for the past 7 months. First I haven't been able to see my family for more than a year because of COVID. And last year's covid situation has made me distanced from my high school friends. And since most of them study in a different state, it is hard for us to catch up. This year is slightly better as I get to meet up with them again and made more friends in uni, but once I got home, especially at night time I would feel sad and self-doubt about myself. I would be emotional for no reason and get want to let it out. I also get a bit jealous seeing my friends hanging out with other people. I did some tests online and the result shows that I have mild depression, I don't know any ways to reach for help. (FYI, I did not have any self-harm issue or thoughts)

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Dear Thank you for being part of the beyondblue community forums. We are sorry to hear that your situation challenging at the moment.  Please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need. We're sure that a lot of our community members will relate to these feelings and hopefully some of them will pop by to offer you words of wisdom and kindness. If you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.  If you feel it may be helpful, we’d recommend reaching out to our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. The website will be regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. You can also call our dedicated support line, staffed by mental health professionals, which is available 24/7 at the Beyond Blue Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service on 1800 512 348. 

You can also find information on support groups and good information is available on the Black Dog Institute site here - https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/resources-support/support-groups/ It might be helpful to join a support group to try and build a social network in your area.​​​  We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums. Please feel free to keep reaching out here on your thread whenever you feel up to it.

Regards,
ModSupport  

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

A visit to your GP is the first point of call. Depression can be debilitating and cause all sorts of emotional issues and barriers.

Also self help in the form of activities can keep depression and loneliness at bay. At one point I had a large jigsaw in a spare room that I'd do for 30 minutes at a time when I felt uneasy.

You can read the first post of the thread below

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/depression-distraction-and-vari...

TonyWK

Willow Jude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jazkels,

Welcome to the forum!

I'd like to second what white knight said, as getting professional help can help make such a difference when things are tough mentally.

To get yourself started on the track to feeling a bit more positive, I'd recommend trying to find things you enjoy. I know that that can be very tough when struggling with depression, as everything can feel so hard and/or it becomes difficult to find joy in things, but really making an effort to do something that brings you joy can make a big difference. It doesn't matter how small or 'silly' it is, just as long as it's something that makes you feel that there's at least a little bit of positivity in life. It could be baking, exercising, puzzles, art, reading, sports, computer games, gardening, etc., or even just having a favourite TV show or YouTube channel to watch.

-WJ

thank you! it's been more than a year. I was doing well towards the end of the year. But now I'm experiencing heartbreak and i feel like my issues in the past have not been actually fully addressed.