FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Failure

Bini7
Community Member
Hello everyone,i am a nursing student,i just got my result where i failed a unit.I just needed 6 marks to pass.I m feeling so miserable.I can’t stop crying.I dont have anyone to talk to.
4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Bini7~

Welcome here to the Forum, and I think your choice of future career says a lot about you. I also think your reaction to less than perfection says a bit more.

I was a uni educator for very many years - even took nursing students for one non-medical unit they had to do. The number of students who sail straight though their course to a degree without any hiccups is surprisingly small and the procedure after a failure is well established.

It can be inconvenient if a subsequent unit depends on that one, but is normally easy to sort out.

So go see your faculty or the counseling unit . If there are extenuating or medical circumstances you should explain them. It is possible you might be entitled to special consideration. (COVID related matters may have been an undue influence for example) and can be re-tested

Otherwise it most probably simply means you repeat the unit and this time, between what you have learned already and getting timely help as needed (perhaps a study group, perhaps a tutor or special extra work the lecturer might give) means you will pass next time. It is not as if it was a terrible failure after all.

The most complicated thing will be finances, and I'm not sure what the HECS arrangements will be 2020-1

In some ways a study group might be another help, you sound as if you are trying to deal with this all on your own, is there nobody to talk things over with, fellow students, family or a freind?

You are always welcome here

Croix

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bini, I really hope you are still checking your thread because, for you, this means so much, and we'd like to know the subject if possible as there could be a way to help you.

I know how disappointed you must be feeling and totally sympathise with you, but perhaps if you can get back to us, that would be terrific.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bini, I'm sorry I forgot to say, that just because you didn't pass a unit, certainly doesn't mean you have failed, far from it, you should compliment yourself, but please get back to us.

Geoff.

Bini7
Community Member
Good afternoon..Thank you everyone for the reply..I am feeling much better today however i haven’t told my parents yet..It will be a heartbreak for them.Already they are supporting me financially for everything and now again i have to pay for the failed unit.As a international student it is very hard overall..there will be visa effects too.