FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Failed tests

Mikot
Community Member

Hi, I'm a year 12 student and I am pretty ambitious. I want to study medicine but with my current grades I know it'd be unimaginable reaching that ATAR.

It really affects me when I fail my tests and I know I can improve this but it's difficult when your mind is clouded with your failures

3 Replies 3

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Mikot,

Are there teachers, counsellors at school or peer support people yo can talk to about this?
Is it possible to gain assistance, extra help or have a study buddy who can help you improve on areas you are currently struggling with?

I have known a few people who have re-done year 12 to ensure they have the grades they required. Not sure if that is an option you want to consider.

Are your parents able to assist you with extra fees maybe required for further tuition?

Hope you find ways to deal with all of this and get some help as well. Calling Headspace might be beneficial.

Wishing you all the best, cheers from Dools

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mikot

I have two children who recently completed year 12, so I know how hard and stressful it can be. You are not alone.

Believe it or not, failing a test or two is not the end of the world. Go and see your teacher for extra help. Create a study group with friends. Do plenty of practice questions.

The goal is to identify your learning gaps and fill them to the best of your ability. Doesn't matter what happened yesterday, focus on doing better tomorrow.

The best advice I can give you to survive this year is to not over think it. Do the best you can, one day at a time.

Try to keep things in perspective because despite your final ATAR, there are many pathways into medicine. I have a friend who became a physiotherapist and then when to med school. I know young people in science and nursing planning to make the leap.

Life unfolds in many ways. Do your best and follow the path that presents itself to you in order to realise your dream.

Hang in there

Yes I agree with Summer Rose. The High School Certificate or HSC can be stressful, I've completed it a few years ago so I understand. Your ATAR rank isn't everything and there are plenty of pathways to get into medicine. Life has a funny (but nice way) of figuring itself out.