FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi!

Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with.

These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help!

If you only remember one thing, let it be this:

You are important. Your grades don’t define you.

(support)

Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way.

If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening.

Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring.

Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep.

Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music…

If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety.

(study)

Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate.

Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting.

Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures?

Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!
51 Replies 51

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for sharing all of your advice- I'm so glad this thread has been helpful and I've gotten so many tips as well. So grateful for everyone here 🙂

emma cross - would you be open to sharing the link here? I get so lost in YouTube so it would be so handy.

I can see that noise has been a bit of an issue since COVID, completely understandable. Such a good idea with the noise cancelling earbuds (simple is best!). One of the other things I stumbled across was this one- it's the sound of colleagues, but you can edit it based on your preferences; like the tapping of keyboards or chit-chatter in the background. https://soundofcolleagues.com/#

Is there anything else people are struggling with or we can brainstorm around?

rt

yours_truly
Community Member

This is so perfect!! Sometimes just a reminder that feeding yourself all the right things that are essential first is such an important thing. I feel like a lot of us push ourselves without treating ourselves and then when we don’t get the results we want we continue to treat ourselves badly. But, if we truly just drank a little more water a day, or ate a couple more vegetables, did a single thing to make ourselves happy and slept a couple more minutes, our concentration and participation would be better. 

You really just opened my eyes!! 

THANK YOUUU ❤️