FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression Impacting My Life

iz_b19
Community Member

Hi, Im a 17 year old in year 12 and im struggling with depression. I've been struggling with depression for about 2 years and I'm seeing a psychologist to help and I'm finding a psychiatrist to get medication to help. But recently, the depression and having to deal with (supposed) fibromyalgia at a young age has made my life really difficult and I feel really alone. I have had 23 days off school this semester so far and i have missed out on so much work I cant even begin to explain it. My biggest problem is not how much ive missed, but the fact that i cant find the motivation to do any school work whatsover and when i actually want to do work, my brain wont let me. Concentration has gone completely out of the window and sometimes i cant even speak or write sentences properly its super frustrating. It's like the parts of my brain that I need to function have been taped off with 'restricted area' tape and i cant get passed it. I feel like a pen (you know when the ink gets dry or stuck and it wont come out?) and no matter how hard i scribble or draw nothing, comes out. Ive had to apply for so many extensions on assignments i feel embarrassed and that my teachers think i am lazy. They know about my physical health issues and my mental health ones but they still ask a million questions, and give useless advice. I never hand in a completed draft for any of my assignments anymore. I find it overwhelming to respond or write emails to my teachers because i have to re-explain my mental and physical health situations over and over again because of the policies that the school has with having excuses for not doing work. Ive tried to explain to my parents how i feel and that nothing is working but they only tell me to keep going and 'just do it' but that doesn't work for me. Ive tried the 'do it for 5 mins' trick, and the reward trick, i get rid of as many distractions as i can but somehow even my own reflection distracts me. I know that lack of interest and motivation in things is a common symptom of depression but i feel like it's so severe at the moment to the point where i feel like my life is spiraling out of control and im a ghost who physically cant grasp the wheel. I recently told my parents some difficult things i have been thinking and feeling about life and we talked about maybe going to the hospital which I feel like i do need but I have no idea what it's like there, nor do i have anyone i can talk to about what its like for a young person like me there.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi iz_b19,

Thank you for sharing with us here. We can hear you’ve been through some really difficult stuff and are feeling really worried about this move. We’re really glad you could come and share this here, and that you've recently told your parents about what you're going through, it’s not an easy thing to do and we really admire you doing so.

If you ever want to talk this through with one of the Beyond Blue counsellors, feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636, or reach out through Online Chat here. A few more options are KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, Lifeline on 13 11 44, and Headspace on 1800 650 890

Hopefully, you’ll hear from this lovely community soon. Maybe you could help them along by letting us know if anyone around you is helpful or understanding with how you’re feeling?

Sophie_M

iz_b19
Community Member

Thank you 🙂

I have my family and 2 close friends that do listen to me and help me through stuff, but I wanted to put out how I'm feeling on here to see if any younger people have had any similar feelings or experiences to what I've had. My friends and family care about me and know how I'm feeling but I don't feel that many people in my life understand what it's like to actual feel really impacted by depression in this way and i feel like there's usually a gap in understanding between me and other people which frustrates me. The 'gap' is usually because i have trouble expressing myself or because of their lack of experience

I didn't have enough characters in the first post to say the questions i wanted to put out there but I'll put them in this message.

1. Does anyone have some new techniques or any advice to improve concentration and motivation that i could use?

2. What is it like to be admitted to hospital for mental health?

3. When should you go to hospital if you're considering it?/What are the 'signs' that it might be a good idea to go?