FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression Diagnoses

Jess_Black
Community Member
I have recently been clinically diagnosed with depression , and when I found out, I felt even worse in myself, and cried the whole night and next day, is it normal? Or am I even worse than they originally thought? 
2 Replies 2

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Jess.Black, and welcome to the forum! 

In my opinion, it is completely normal.  It is just the 'shock'/reality of being diagnosed with a mental illness that kicks in - a bit like being told that you have one of any number of other serious medical conditions. There is always an initial shock/fear factor.  You will get over these initial feelings.  

Would you like to tell us a little bit more about yourself?

Hope to hear from you.

K

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Jess Black

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thank you for coming here and providing your post.

I agree with Hideaway – nothing unusual about what you’ve posted, although if I may take a slight different take on things – I hope you replenished your fluid stocks the next day by drinking ample amounts of water – cause crying for that long, could have a nasty chance of causing unwanted dehydration!   Sorry, couldn’t help myself, there with aiming to get a bit of a smile into your day.  It worked for me, hope it did for you too.

But you’ve done a couple of major positive steps of very recent times.

You obviously were concerned about how you’ve been, so you took yourself off to a gp and got a formal diagnosis – which hopefully had some kind of effect on you, being that they were able to diagnose you – instead of you going there and they may have sent you away without giving you an answer.   Even with this diagnosis, you’ve now got a label for it and there are so many avenues available to you, to get things put into place to help fight it.

Did your gp provide you with those kinds of tools or information?   If not, please come back and ask away here.

The other good positive step you’ve taken was indeed, to come HERE and post.  It’s a fantastic site and a really wonderful, helpful and supportive community, so please feel very comfortable in coming here and posting – no-one is ever judged, but we just try to give advice, guidance and most of all, support.

Really do hope to hear from you again.

Neil