FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Crying every so often about the same things, just not sure if it’s ok or not.

Katherine_lily
Community Member

So, I don’t think it’s major or anything, but I cry about the same thing, every so often about somewhere between 1-2 weeks. If I’m watching a documentary about someone who has died and their talking about all the great things that persons done, I cry. When I have a shower or some alone time, I think about al, the cool things other people have done. I have my own dreams. I want to go to uni to be a teacher, at least, that’s what my dad is suggesting now, and I can settle for that. But my dream really is to be a musician. Iv wanted to be one my whole life. I don’t know exactly why, but I think it’s been a childhood thing, growing up with music. The music that my parents like is what’s considered “old”, like stuff from the 60’s and that, like the Beatles, Johnny cash, and that dude that sings “don’t come back jack.” Anyway, I want to be a musician to bring back that music, and I have this idea that I shouldn’t like music that’s happening now, but somehow I do? But, I don’t want to sing that music or anything when I’m older. Also sometimes when I’m looking up other cool people and all the things they’ve done, I think about how short life is, and that I want to do good things, and I want to be a good person. I want to be great like they were. But like, I have this thing happening where I have I sense that I can’t do that, and that I can’t do that dream. Life so short, and I’m thinking that I want my life to have a purpose. I tell myself constantly positive things, as I do with others, but sometimes I cry about the things that I can’t do. I’m sad that people I love will die, and that I feel the worlds moving too quickly, even though I’m young. Is this ok? Is this normal? I just want some clarification. Thank you for any assistance!

3 Replies 3

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Katherine Lily

Hello and welcome to the forum. How great to have a musical talent. I love music. Almost anything from the classics to the Beatles and 60s music and modern music. Music can really lift us especially when we are feeling down. If this is your passion go for it. Do you play an instrument. I always wanted to learn to play the piano but it never happened when I was younger. Now I have left home etc I bought a piano and had lessons. Absolutely love it.

Do you have specific reasons why you cannot do certain things? Too expensive, no teachers, other reasons? We can (and often do) spend our precious time telling ourselves we cannot do something. Remember the people who have done cool things that you feel are good were once like you and had few skills. Skills accrue when we start to learn how.Walk towards your dreams instead of backing away. Maybe you will not be the best composer/singer/actor but there is no harm in trying.

It's a sad fact that people we love will pass away. It's sad that we will pass away and be mourned by many people. It is not in our power to live forever. We are here for a relatively short time and then go. What we leave behind is, hopefully, is the memory of what we we were and how much joy we have brought to our family and friends.

So do the good stuff and follow your dreams. I am not alone in wanting to know which road you will take.

Mary

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Katherine lily, and a warm welcome.

It's difficult to achieve what you really want to do if you have a parent dominate in trying to convince you into doing a career which you may or may not be keen on, sometimes it may, in turn, discourage you.

When or if this does happen, then it is possible your mood can change and make you cry at something you wouldn't normally do, unfortunately, due to this current lockdown maybe stalled unless the help has already started.

You will be great at whatever you do as long as that's how you are feeling and be able to disregard those who say otherwise, remember that's only their opinion and not yours, compliments always very much appreciated.

For every great idea our mind produce, it also generates hundreds, if not thousands
of irrational thoughts that actually have no meaning what so ever, unless we aren't strong enough to puh them away, and this can happen many times, although I'm not a qualified doctor.

There is an age where suddenly we realise that the world is passing through us so quickly, that's when we're able to determine our lifestyle.

Take care.

Geoff.

Jasjit
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Katherine Lily,

Welcome to BeyondBlue online forums and thanks for reaching out and sharing your story.

The first thing is first, be 100% clear on what you want because that is your life!! Like you want to craft your life the way you want but it may not be in line with your parent's choices (like you want to go into music/your parents are suggesting you go into teaching) - have you ever wondered why your parents are suggesting teaching? Maybe teaching is a profession with a job or financial security for the future. Kind of like for your long term planning.

Probably, your parents might be thinking that your dream of being a musician is simply a passing interest? I don't know, I could be wrong. Please correct me. It is like this, if becoming a becoming musician means so much to you, then you are willing to pay the price for it!! Maybe your parents don't see it that way.

Tell me more about your music choices. What are your interests?