Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

bdavi310 I JUST DON'T KNOW
  • replies: 19

My names Blake and im 19 years old. Why do I feel so distant... its like the whole world is rushing around me and im just not going anywhere, time just slips by... Everyday i wake up feeling the same, just down and not happy to be doing anything... I... View more

My names Blake and im 19 years old. Why do I feel so distant... its like the whole world is rushing around me and im just not going anywhere, time just slips by... Everyday i wake up feeling the same, just down and not happy to be doing anything... I used to love my job and look forward to going to work and seeing the people i work with but now i couldnt care less if i saw them or not, i hate my job now i used to be okay at it now im just failing and i feel so hopeless.. all the things i once enjoyed have become something i dont even think about anymore. sleep just isnt something i can get either, why have i changed so much i hate feeling like this i feel as if i bring the people around me down, because of this my life just isnt what it used to be. This is the first time i've ever spoken out about this and its been going on for quite a while.. i guess i have wanted to talk about it but its so hard to just let it out and i dont know where to begin or who to talk to, i dont know i guess im way to scared of what people might say or think so i just keep it to myself. im sorry for the crap punctuation and wording...

AIdan_ My girlfriend loves me but she hurts me (Mentaly)
  • replies: 4

Hey My name is aidan and im 17 currently in a relationship for 6months now At first this relationship was all good and we were happy and we had each other and we both had friends and made plans but as time went on me and her became closer and closer ... View more

Hey My name is aidan and im 17 currently in a relationship for 6months now At first this relationship was all good and we were happy and we had each other and we both had friends and made plans but as time went on me and her became closer and closer inlove and started to spend most days together finally ending up seeing each other everyday almost. And now we've been fighting alot, but we love each other heaps. The problem i have is that im getting really depressed over everything she does because as of a couple of months shes been showing me love in a mean hurting full way (Verbaly) And she demands that i only hang out with here and Ive lost all my friends now and she has to because we hung out so much and im starting to not feel anywhere near happy with how things are going with us. And its affecting my school and work being sad all the time. Can anyone help me?? I love her so much. thanks aidan.

mizaru Need a little support
  • replies: 5

Hey guys, I've never posted in a forum before or ever really used online support. But I'm having a really low day and am not dealing with it well so could really use a little help right now.. I'm quite upset with myself because I thought I was doing ... View more

Hey guys, I've never posted in a forum before or ever really used online support. But I'm having a really low day and am not dealing with it well so could really use a little help right now.. I'm quite upset with myself because I thought I was doing so well over the summer and am now right back to where I was like 6 years ago. It's really frustrating and I've been seeing someone for about 3 years but nothing has really changed. I went on medication for a while but then stopped... I'm not sure why I stopped. I think it was because I felt like they weren't really doing anything but making me tired and empty. And I mean I'm the first to tell other people trying to deal with depression about how long a road it is and that they can't expect to wake up one morning and just be cured so they must try not to be frustrated with themselves for feeling like they're taking steps backwards. So I feel kind of hypocritical for being in this mindset. But I can't help it. It's so unfair. You can go for months thinking everything is fine and then suddenly you can't get out of bed or bring yourself to go outside or go to work or uni and it's like a punch in the stomach everytime it happens. I really dont know what to do. I'm worried I may be like this always. Usually I'd talk to my mum about this. Mum has always been amazing but I'm so worried that I'm burdening her. And whenever I try to talk to her I can see she's trying to understand but she just can't. And all it does is make her sad that I'm not getting better. I don't want to make her sad anymore.

DanThaman I need a hug
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone. Im 22 years old and am currently on mid year break between university semesters. I've recently had a surgical operation and am currently recovering at home over the holidays (fun right). It's given me a lot of time to think about my lif... View more

Hey everyone. Im 22 years old and am currently on mid year break between university semesters. I've recently had a surgical operation and am currently recovering at home over the holidays (fun right). It's given me a lot of time to think about my life and social anxiety growing up, i keep thinking how things could have been or what would have happened if i had of done things differently. I've made a promise to myself to break out of my shell more starting this semester, in whatever ways that push my social anxiety in a positive direction, its a scary thought but I'm excited at the prospect. I feel as though i can finally start to live and experience things other people my age do. I enjoy my own company and being by myself, but sometimes i feel as though i just want to hug somebody and express whatever's on my mind without fear of judgment. It sounds stupid, and I'm not sure if I'm the only one who feels this way. I guess being stuck at home alone doesn't help, but i have my dog beside me 24/7 and he keeps me company. Pets are great I apologise for the vent, i just needed to write something down.

Reaperbird Why do people keep avoiding me?
  • replies: 8

Okay so I just recently lost a group of friends I had made online several months ago. At first we were talking regularly, getting along really well, but then over time they just distanced themselves more and more until they stopped contacting me all ... View more

Okay so I just recently lost a group of friends I had made online several months ago. At first we were talking regularly, getting along really well, but then over time they just distanced themselves more and more until they stopped contacting me all together. I tried to confront them and ask them why, but they wouldn't give me any straight answers and even called me paranoid. They didn't unfriend me or block me, so I presumed they still wanted to be friends. But then they would give me the silent treatment for months and months on end. Not even a "happy birthday" or a "how are you?" Which is odd behavior from them, because they used to care about things like that. Yesterday I finally snapped and told them all to get stuffed before deleting my social media, I was tired of being left out all the time and treated like I don't exist. Especially when I'm always being there for them, while they don't seem to give a damn about me. Thing is, this has been happening a lot. Not just online, but offline too. Even my family are distant towards me. I admit, I'm questioning if there's something wrong with me, because if so many people are avoiding me, then I must be the problem right? But how do I know what I did wrong? I tried asking and no one would tell me what I did. So now I'm stuck obsessing over all my faults, wondering what I did to make everyone avoid me. I know I have problems too; I have depression, anxiety and I'm physically ill. I complain a lot, I'm impulsive, and I'm sensitive to rejection/criticism. I'm boring, I'm a perfectionist, and I'm often too blunt about how I feel. I could go on and on, I'm not always an easy person to get along with. Still, I can't be perfect either, so unless I know what it is that people specifically don't like about me, I can't really change. Overall I don't know what to do. I'm so tired of losing friends and being treated like I don't matter to anyone. I just want someone I can have a conversation with, someone who looks forward to hanging out with me. But people always seem to eventually hate me, and I end up alone again and again. I'm starting to hate myself so much that I can't even make new friends now, all I think is I'm going to drive them away too. I don't know how to talk to anyone anymore either, I feel like everything I say is wrong. I don't want to be lonely anymore, but I don't know how to make it stop?

ceceanilec88 Midnight Depression??
  • replies: 4

Hi guys, So I've been getting this weird phenomena lately. Not really sure it actually happens to other people, I might just be making it up, but worth a shot in case someone else can explain it. It's not a secret that my depression is getting worse,... View more

Hi guys, So I've been getting this weird phenomena lately. Not really sure it actually happens to other people, I might just be making it up, but worth a shot in case someone else can explain it. It's not a secret that my depression is getting worse, but lately, maybe the past 2 weeks or so, it's been hitting the worst around and past midnight. I'm a night owl, so staying up past midnight isn't uncommon for me. I'm fairly familiar with my depressive symptoms, and night times have never really been good for me. Over thinking usually occurs, and that for me means pointing out every failure that I've had in my life, no matter how small or how long ago. But not like this. It's worse than usual, especially on my boyfriend, whom I end up sending really dark messages to around 1130 every night. Usually, it's just over thinking, but it's not deathly thinking Midnight depression might not be a thing, but it feels like it. Anyone else feeling the same or am I making it all up in my head?

TheGirlWhoWaited Almost on the verge of exploding
  • replies: 9

Hey guys Well, I'm sort of new to the forum, I actually signed up last year but today's my first day posting because I get anxious at times asking for help. Anyways watch out because I am about to start unloading my worries Year 12. This is pretty mu... View more

Hey guys Well, I'm sort of new to the forum, I actually signed up last year but today's my first day posting because I get anxious at times asking for help. Anyways watch out because I am about to start unloading my worries Year 12. This is pretty much self explanatory, but this year so far has been the most mentally challenging for me, not just because this is the most academically hard year of highschool. Well ever since moving from primary school (literally the last place I felt happy) to highschool, I swear I've been feeling myself slowly crumble everyday and I am struggling to find stable support at times. I have social anxiety, and as a result depression has decided to visit me every now and then too (usually with a batch of cookies that taste like ruins of my sanity). I used to see a psychologist about this, but unfortunately my dear mother decided against it last year, and I feel my school counsellor does not assist me whatsoever. There is no support at home, besides my brother who I barely see anymore... which absolutely breaks my heart and sometimes triggers my sad moods. I struggle to express my feelings both in writing and out loud, and it upsets me that I always feel that I have met no one in this entire planet who completely empathises let alone understands how I feel.But what about my friends? Well... I have gorgeous friends that I would't trade for the world. However, I have no close friends (dead serious, none at all -this makes me feel horribly lonely at times) that I can completely put my faith and tell all my feelings to. This is probably because I already have a close friend called social anxiety who doesn't like talking to people. I am known as the "quiet one" and I hate hate hate it, which I know takes huge chunks out of my self-esteem. This also stops me from being able to relate to my friends properly, or make new friends (plus the fact that making friends is harder compared to primary school). My mental health issues + stressing out over the horrors of year twelve = total hell. And like I said before I feel like I am crumbling everyday and on the verge of exploding. I'm starting to cry a lot more, and the smallest things set me off into either a very raging person or into days of endless sadness. It would be great if you could help, or at least a simple sentence asking me to keep my chin up- sometimes, I feel like I'm the only person in the world encouraging myself whenever I see my reflection.

neverchild Eating disorder as a go-to for depression and anxiety
  • replies: 2

Recently when I feel worthless, lonely and not good enough for anyone, I turn to my eating disorder. Whether it is not eating, or eating until I feel sick, it is all done purposely, and takes up all my day-to-day thoughts, and I go to sleep thinking ... View more

Recently when I feel worthless, lonely and not good enough for anyone, I turn to my eating disorder. Whether it is not eating, or eating until I feel sick, it is all done purposely, and takes up all my day-to-day thoughts, and I go to sleep thinking about it and regretting what I have done. Yet it seems that I can't get out of this pattern, I really wish I could because it's very upsetting, and I disappoint myself every time I turn to eating/ or not eating as a remedy.

positivity feeling left behind & lonely
  • replies: 5

Im a 24 year old female, I’m currently studying at university and work a part-time/casual job. I’m feeling super disappointed with my life and i find myself feeling so empty and distraught. I feel stuck/frozen where I’m watching people live an amazin... View more

Im a 24 year old female, I’m currently studying at university and work a part-time/casual job. I’m feeling super disappointed with my life and i find myself feeling so empty and distraught. I feel stuck/frozen where I’m watching people live an amazing life, whilst I’m at home reliving each day as if it was groundhog day. At 18 years old, i applied for teaching degree, second year into the degree i knew it wasn’t for me. I wanted to change my degree into nutrition, a passion i had developed from the age of 19. my parents pressured me into staying into that degree. At 20 years old, i met my partner, i ended up moving into his house and taking on adult/real life responsibilities (paying a mortgage, household utilities, food etc). At the time i was working three jobs and studying teaching. My partner disapproved of one of them as it was night work and i barely saw him, so i handed in my resignation. Then two of my other jobs started giving me no shifts due to no work. I became jobless, in that time i was severely depressed and angry. I finally scored a job as a medical receptionists. I withdrew from teaching, began working at my present job on a part time bases. My work is very demanding, selfish and i believe has given me a lot of anxiety, stress and plays a part in my depression.I hated it and still do, but i still work there? the amount of times I’ve wanted to quit has been endless, but i need money to pay bills. at 23 i finally decide to apply for my degree in dietetics, Im now 24 turning 25 and I’m only 1/3 of the way through my degree, i now watch people i used to hang with have their proper jobs, travel to exotic places and enjoying their lives, whilst I’m at home doing groundhog day and counting coins to pay bills. i feel very lonely, very upset and i feel i have pushed a lot of good people i had when i was 20-21 away. I feel my only friend is my partner, all i want to do is sleep. i have no energy and i feel so miserable about my life, i try very hard at uni and I’m basically getting average marks. Im so over it living this miserable life, feeling sad and stuck.

JoshQLD7 Am I anxious or just crazy???
  • replies: 3

Hi, I wasn't sure to put this in the Young People forum or here, please let me know if I should move it I know nothing can help but I thought I'd post here to get someone else's opinion of what's wrong with me. I'm 15 turning 16 and am in Year 12. So... View more

Hi, I wasn't sure to put this in the Young People forum or here, please let me know if I should move it I know nothing can help but I thought I'd post here to get someone else's opinion of what's wrong with me. I'm 15 turning 16 and am in Year 12. Sometimes (usually 1-2 times a day) I get really... I don't know. My heart beats faster and I start panting. I don't know if I'm either really worried or really stressed. The best way to describe it is that I feel like I'm going to explode inside. Usually I have no idea or reason to feel this way. If I can, I go talk to someone, anyone, so I can get away from the feeling before it gets worse. When it does get worse (often late at night), my chest starts hurting (mildly) and the feeling goes from stress/worry to dread/terror/panic. But I don't know why or what I'm terrified of, and that makes it even worse! I'm yelling "NO" and "Stop" to myself inside my mind. I want to throw myself into bed and cry, but I can't cry because I'm not actually sad or upset. I feel seriously messed up. I know thinking of my health often starts it off. I have a few health problems. I always seem to blow them out of proportion, googling for hours, etc. Its not always health though, sometimes it's something that should make me happy. For instance, Mum coming home from a week-away trip; I should be happy (and I am) but I get the feeling and have no idea why. Or watching a movie (that I've seen before), and for no apparent reason I start worrying. Even thinking of going for a jog outside sets it off. Deep breathing helps a bit, as well as loud music. As I mentioned earlier, the best thing I can do is distract myself by talking to someone. I just don't know. Is it stress? It is worry? Is this anxiety or just me going crazy? You've probably never seen so many "I"'s in a post! Sorry! Its late and I'm tired. Thank-you for any advice in advance. Josh. P.S. It's not anything to do with school.