Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Acesb Anxiety is overwhelming!
  • replies: 2

Hi, I've been recently feeling very overwhelmed because of tasks that I need to get completed at school and the fact that I have to go do work experience for one week which makes me very nervous. What are ways to reduce the anxiety I am feeling?

Hi, I've been recently feeling very overwhelmed because of tasks that I need to get completed at school and the fact that I have to go do work experience for one week which makes me very nervous. What are ways to reduce the anxiety I am feeling?

Bloom94 Feel a bit lost, hey
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone, This is my first time on here, I literally just signed up haha. Come to think of it, I think this is my first thread I've ever made online so here goes. I'm 21, male, study design at university, work as a barista, drive a Mazda3 - I'm p... View more

Hey everyone, This is my first time on here, I literally just signed up haha. Come to think of it, I think this is my first thread I've ever made online so here goes. I'm 21, male, study design at university, work as a barista, drive a Mazda3 - I'm pretty much a cliché - laugh it up. I reckon I'm a pretty upbeat kind of person, love my mates to death, love being around people and making them laugh. I'm an idiot pretty much - but I think that's why people like me. I've always been a little anxious like I suppose everyone is, I've been through some rough times but I've always come out on the other side. I've gone out into the world trying to make something of myself, trying to discipline myself towards achieving goals in order to become the person I always wanted to be - I was doing a pretty good job of that until maybe sometime this year, I'd say around January/feburary. I still kept at doing the same thing. Going to uni, going to work, going out with my mates, designing things and laughing it up along the way. But I think something crept up on me without me even noticing. I'm not sure what it is. It could be my underlying anxiety or maybe something more - I havnt gone to see anyone since I find that after been in a rut and fixing any issues, I seem fine and back to normal. but this year, I've noticed I'm less motivated. I stopped going to classes as much, I started drinking more, and even more on my own. I started doing other things to shut up my brain. I guess I first noticed something wasn't quite right when I counted the empty bottles of veno in my bedroom. That was a bit of an eye opener. It's embarrassing, but I'm being honest. Lately it's been worse. I feel anxious, crave the feeling of not being in control, I feel lonely when in reality I'm not and I miss my family. I quit my other job because it was making me unhappy and I felt better after that. But it's not money I can see now that makes me anxious, it's got to be something else, I just can't figure it out. Main point being, I've lost my mojo. I'm dissapointed in myself. I still have passion but it kinda feels like a dying flame. That's super emotive I know, but I guess it's a good analogy for my situation. I get real high and then I get really low, I get angry and frustrated which is unusual for my personality. I never take it out on others, I just keep it to myself. I don't wanna be that guy because I'm not. Anyway, I hope this makes some sense. Cheers for your input

Harley1 Is something seriously wrong with me?
  • replies: 2

I'm 16 years old and pretty scared. I have this issue where I obsess over things, people or periods of time. Like for example I will obsess over modelling and models and I will google and save photos and I will pretend to be them (this is so embarras... View more

I'm 16 years old and pretty scared. I have this issue where I obsess over things, people or periods of time. Like for example I will obsess over modelling and models and I will google and save photos and I will pretend to be them (this is so embarrassing to say), or I will obsess over a period of time and pretend as if I'm living in that time period, but after some time I will move on to something else. I don't have any passions, well I have them but they ALWAYS change. It is never consistent and I HATE it. I don't know what I want to do in the future, I love science but I also love arts and acting and I'm worried that if I do one, I will regret not doing the other. This constant change of thoughts and passions and ideas is hard, I'm confused, I don't know who I am. Some may say I am trying to "find myself" but I think I have gotten too deeply into this for it to just be that. Even with music or clothing choices, I feel as if I have 100 different personalities. I hate this feeling of constantly feeling so confused and not driven towards ONE specific thing, but rather I'm constantly drawn to multiple different things. Please help, I don't really know what is wrong with me can anyone tell me?

Im123 New to beyond blue
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone, I am new to BB and I am not sure what to say but my name is Imogen and I have depression, I am pretty nervous about posting but I hope to meet new people

Hi everyone, I am new to BB and I am not sure what to say but my name is Imogen and I have depression, I am pretty nervous about posting but I hope to meet new people

Gord_103 Can somebody help me with dealing with my anxiety. Please
  • replies: 5

Hi I'm a 14 year old girl.( I wanna keep my name private considering it's not my username) I had a very bad thing happen to my family and I last year involving drugs and very horrible people. Ever since then I have been experiencing chronic Anxiety. ... View more

Hi I'm a 14 year old girl.( I wanna keep my name private considering it's not my username) I had a very bad thing happen to my family and I last year involving drugs and very horrible people. Ever since then I have been experiencing chronic Anxiety. It's stopping me from going to school ,seeing friends and not doing the thing I love. I have also had a troubled life. When I was younger some not so nice things happend to me. I really need some help dealing with it or even pointer tips. Just please.

Jess_164 Tips for bridge phobia?
  • replies: 5

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on gephyrophobia (fear of bridges) and how to manage it it has been there ever since I Can remember, when I am even told I am going to drive over a bridge my hands get all cold yet sweaty,... View more

Hi everyone, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on gephyrophobia (fear of bridges) and how to manage it it has been there ever since I Can remember, when I am even told I am going to drive over a bridge my hands get all cold yet sweaty, I feel shaky, I go pale and I just can't take my mind of it. I am petrified. When I actually go over it I freeze. I also have never told anyone. does anyone else experience this or have some tips? thanks

Amali_Cu Is my mother emotionally abusive?
  • replies: 3

I’m not sure if my mother is emotionally abusive or not. However in someway she is. She works a lot, so I don’t see her much. More than most of the time, my mum and I are arguing. She will be so unreasonable and push me to the point where I say somet... View more

I’m not sure if my mother is emotionally abusive or not. However in someway she is. She works a lot, so I don’t see her much. More than most of the time, my mum and I are arguing. She will be so unreasonable and push me to the point where I say something I regret. For instance, she made me late to school because my brother took ages to get ready and she would say its my fault. She would laugh and say I’m ridiculous. It got to the point where I called her a b****. She always over exaggerates and tells my dad lies. The next week whenever I saw her she would always bring it up. OH “Im just a fat b****”, oh i can’t do anything cuz I’m a b. She would carry it on, and she does this every time. She’s even threatened to move out because of me and she would go on about it. She’s constantly unreasonable and horrible to me all the time. Sometimes she comes home and she hugs me and says she loves me. She does call me names but she doesn’t call me stupid because I am smart. But she makes me feel incapable of many things. She compares me to my other friends and is never afraid to point out my flaws. For example when I was to do gymnastics and I went to states I always said how nervous I was or “I don’t think i will do great” and she would say “Well (name of friend) will be hard to come close to). She always buys me stuff but she never comforts me. She always expects me to talk to her, to invite her places even though she never invites me. Like she will stare at me and i say “what” and she goes “ i want to be talked to like i am your mother” yet she rarely asks how my day is and she expects me to just talk to her. I mean Ive tried before but she acts like she doesn’t care so its hard. She asks me why don’t ask her to come on walks with me yet she never suggests anything involving mother and daughter time. She just buys me things a lot because she thinks it keeps me happy, but she always complains about it like “I can’t buy a kitchen cuz i bought u a phone” “ i have to go to work just to pay off your bloody bed” yet she offers to buy hugely expensive things for my brother. In fights i tell her she only buys me things and she goes “fine i just won’t buy you anything”. I try talking to her about how i feel but she never admits to making a mistake and it turns into horrible fights where i end up crying and my phones taken off me. So the question is, does it sound like my mothers emotionally abusive, (I wouldn’t be asking this if it didn’t happen on a daily basis)?

LilNugg But what about me?
  • replies: 1

Hi guys, I'm a 22 year old who's new to this and would love to seek help from everyone else while helping others in any way I can too. I'm struggling with BPD which gives me depression, anxiety and OCD. I'ts hard to cope sometimes but some days I hav... View more

Hi guys, I'm a 22 year old who's new to this and would love to seek help from everyone else while helping others in any way I can too. I'm struggling with BPD which gives me depression, anxiety and OCD. I'ts hard to cope sometimes but some days I have my good days. Lately I've been feeling frustrated and angry. I've been thinking a lot.. Too much actually! I've done so much for people, in their terms, thought of everyone else except for myself. Go out of my way to make others happy but in the end result? I'm tired.. Tired of pleasing everyone else and not thinking about number 1 as my partner would say. Number 1 which is myself. I don't know what being selfish is, I really don't. It just doesn't register to me. I get so upset when I'm out and about and see people in need t=of help but no one can do anything about it or I can't either. I try my best though. I've been having this aching empty feeling like I don't belong anymore. I just simply don't want to exist.. I'm always in bed. It's my comfort zone. I don't want to leave my apartment. I'ts making it hard for me to work my full time job. Especially when I'm not appreciated at all and I've only noticed that after a long time of my partner trying to convince me. I just thought I wasn't good enough. Can i just disappear? I'm on medical leave at the moment from my psychiatrist due to my reoccurring panic attacks. I'm using this time to myself. To learn to be selfish. To rest. But I simply can't.. Please help me? What things should I do that won't cause me to think too much? Without making myself think I'm selfish? Without wanting to hurt myself or torturing myself for this? Writing this was really hard and a struggle. I hope its not too stupid to read.

UnreasonablySocialySelfCu What's going on with me???
  • replies: 7

I'm almost 20 years old, unemployed (not for a lack of trying) all i ever do is stay in my room, being (for the lack of a better word) nagged that i am being unsociable, watching tv, playing video games, sleeping and eating. I used to live life, hang... View more

I'm almost 20 years old, unemployed (not for a lack of trying) all i ever do is stay in my room, being (for the lack of a better word) nagged that i am being unsociable, watching tv, playing video games, sleeping and eating. I used to live life, hang out with my friends during school, always go somewhere, do something, i had good grades... well reasonable. I tried following my dreams, to no avail, and the fact that i am doing this for no reason angers my mum, and when it angers mum, it angers me thus repetitively asking myself "what is wrong with me" it keeps driving me back to my room, it a vicious cycle that i want to break......anybody help???