Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Jeevesbe my story/rant
  • replies: 5

hi this is my little rant just to get it off my chest sorry if its in the wrong forum please tell me and I'll delete it. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 14 but my phycologist says it started years before then currently im 17 and doing yea... View more

hi this is my little rant just to get it off my chest sorry if its in the wrong forum please tell me and I'll delete it. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 14 but my phycologist says it started years before then currently im 17 and doing year 11 at high school or so i am ment to be two years ago i went out with a girl and she was the light of my life we dated for 2 years i enjoyed myself with her felt the happiest i had ever been untill november last year when she told me my depression was too much for her to handle and she broke up with me since then i have going to school less and less each week till i just didn't go all my friends have just stopped contacting me at all and when i cintact them their very disinterested in talking it feels like they have given up on me. I can see how strange it looks from an outside veiw depression is a mess and i dont know how to get out ive tryed everything for meditation to medication and nothing lasts past a week. I can see all these self destructive things i do all these things that I'm just not ment to do but i cant stop myself I see why they left me i see why she left me i want to change I've tryed to change but it's just not working i can't do it. everyone has left me im alone and i don't know what to do. i want help but i don't know how I'm already seeing a phycologist, phyciatrest and a GP

petit-dingue Possible relationship = anxiety
  • replies: 3

i've been "hanging out" with this guy for about three months now, it started as a hookup but it's turned into something that i really value, we hold hands and kiss and talk and make each other laugh. I definitely have romantic feelings for him. The p... View more

i've been "hanging out" with this guy for about three months now, it started as a hookup but it's turned into something that i really value, we hold hands and kiss and talk and make each other laugh. I definitely have romantic feelings for him. The problem is, I also have anxiety and every time something goes even remotely wrong i go into a downward spiral of despair and suddenly everything's over and i've lost him and im alone until he messages me or i go over to hi place and i'm reassured that everything is fine. He really is a nice guy but we haven't actually said anything about being a couple so sharing these feelings with him would make me feel very clingy and needy. On monday i went round his house and we were gonna go to the beach since it was such a nice day but i had too much of a weed cookie and got way too high to do anything, now im back home and he hasnt answered the message i sent last night and i can't help but worry that it was some crazy final straw and that i totally embarrassed myself and lost him. i feel crazy and i cant talk to my family about it because we're both guys and im not out as gay to them. Should i wait until i see him again and then try and explain myself a little (including my anxiety over not being texted back) or should i message or call him and talk to him about it? i dont wanna suffocate him especially since we're not a couple, but i dont know what i'd do if he just ghosted me.

Jess2 I'm new too beyondblue
  • replies: 3

Hey I'm just at a bad time at the sec and thought maybe it would be better to just see how this place is. Yeah... I don't really know what to say

Hey I'm just at a bad time at the sec and thought maybe it would be better to just see how this place is. Yeah... I don't really know what to say

andrew2196 I Just Wanted Help
  • replies: 1

For five years I had been with my girlfriend, and our relationship was rock solid. We would always talk about any problems we had and we would help each other through anything and everything. She had gone through quite a spell of depression, and I ga... View more

For five years I had been with my girlfriend, and our relationship was rock solid. We would always talk about any problems we had and we would help each other through anything and everything. She had gone through quite a spell of depression, and I gave everything I could unconditionally to help her through it all, simply because she was a wonderful person who deserved no less. She had said many a time, that I was the only reason that she is alive today. But four months ago, I started having mental issues myself, feelings of being unloved and that no one cared for me. I was on holiday with family at the time and a long way from home, and I wasn't one to reach out to family members for support (that has changed in the last couple of months). So I thought, "who better than to ask my girlfriend for help? She has gone through tough times herself and I'm sure she would understand how I felt and what could help me feel better". So I asked her for support, told her of my feelings and that I just wanted to feel happier. Initially she offered some support, but it wasn't enough to keep the bad thoughts away for good. So I kept asking for help, but eventually she started saying and doing things that made my thoughts even worse. These actions from her almost confirmed the extremes of my bad thoughts: that not even my girlfriend cared about me. I ended up getting quite upset because of this, but then she said she wasn't willing to help me any more, and that she wasn't happy with the relationship. She ended the relationship, saying that she didn't want to put up with my demands anymore. It's been almost two months since the breakup and I'm still destroyed in a number of ways. I struggle to find enjoyment in life, as well as the enthusiasm or motivation to do things. Consequently, my university studies have been impacted heavily, having used to achieve high distinctions across the board and now struggling to pass. Some of my friendships have been damaged too, and my now ex girlfriend has shown no signs of care towards me, having stated that she doesn't owe me anything and that what's fair doesn't matter. I just wanted help, because I hated feeling sad and worried. But instead I was reduced to my lowest then abandoned by the one person I gave everything to, who I always helped and loved unconditionally. I thought I was doing the right thing, I thought she would understand. Now life is just difficult, and the bad thoughts it all started with have just gotten worse.

Lovedfree Good person

i can't tell if I'm a good person anymore..... my mum says i'm not I'm just following my intuition and dreams I hate this

i can't tell if I'm a good person anymore..... my mum says i'm not I'm just following my intuition and dreams I hate this

dots Will it ever stop. Someone help me I don't know what to do anymore.
  • replies: 2

Hi I am Kiara. I have made a thread before and if u would like u can go read it. But just to inform new people: I have bad anxiety. But from my thread I wrote that I was having trouble with people. Girls where making rumours about me about how someti... View more

Hi I am Kiara. I have made a thread before and if u would like u can go read it. But just to inform new people: I have bad anxiety. But from my thread I wrote that I was having trouble with people. Girls where making rumours about me about how sometimes I am not in class in some classes, how I sometimes don't go to school. This is all because of my anxiety. The girls got talked too and sorted out as I told my parents. Then they told the school. Everything has been ok since today. One of my guy friends got a message from a girl in my class (on snapchat) saying: "oh why does Kiara get extra time in class to do stuff, she gets it the same time as us, what a d1ckhead. (sorry for the bad word. My friend stood up for me saying that I have reasons and then she went off at him swearing. My friend just played it cool and said nothing wrong. He showed me the exidence and I screen shot the messages. Then she put on her story EVERYTHING that happened. Everyone saw what she said about me. I don't know why this is still happening. And this girl I having done nothing to. I am shy and Nice in class also I hardy talk to her. So I don't understand. Plus she has done other stuff to. I don't know what to do anymore. This is going on to much and I don't know what to do. I don't want to tell anyone because they will think I have more problems and the school will get annoyed. Please help. Kiara

achlys just can't get the words out
  • replies: 2

hi, i've tried therapy lots of times, and am still going, but after every session, i just feel worse. before i go i always repeat over and over in my mind what i want to say, but when i actually get there i completely choke and can't say what i want ... View more

hi, i've tried therapy lots of times, and am still going, but after every session, i just feel worse. before i go i always repeat over and over in my mind what i want to say, but when i actually get there i completely choke and can't say what i want to. i want help but i feel like i'm just disappointing my therapist and wasting her time. my mind completely freezes and my mouth refuses to open and i really don't know why. how am i supposed to fix my problems when one of my problems is that i can't effectively communicate what my problems are? i losing hope. thanks lilly

achlys manic or hormonal?
  • replies: 4

hi, i'm a teenager and recently i've been going through some pretty intense mood swings. starting really with my first attempt at anti-depressants, i've been feeling super irritated and wound up. my thoughts have been racing and i can't seem to conce... View more

hi, i'm a teenager and recently i've been going through some pretty intense mood swings. starting really with my first attempt at anti-depressants, i've been feeling super irritated and wound up. my thoughts have been racing and i can't seem to concentrate on anything, althewhile many of my depressed symptoms are still there. throughout one day i'll go from angry to sad to almost crying to happy, and cycle through. i'm off the drugs now, but my emotions if anything have gotten more out of control. are these just regular teenage hormones that have been amplified by the wrong medication or something else? my mum says its something all kids my age go through, and i haven't been able to really articulate my thoughts out loud to a therapist (that's why i'm writing). thank you lilly

roguewave Lost and Unhappy, how do I handle it?

Hi everyone,being new to this I don't really know where to start. I guess its the feeling of being alone. The past couple of months, I've been struggling with the realisation that I am unhappy, and that this isn't something that is just going to fade... View more

Hi everyone,being new to this I don't really know where to start. I guess its the feeling of being alone. The past couple of months, I've been struggling with the realisation that I am unhappy, and that this isn't something that is just going to fade. I pushed people away, and now I am having difficulty with confiding in people that I am not okay. That I do not feel okay. I have recently been through a break-up, and that person was the one person who looked out for me above all else. he helped when I was having troubles with friends (rumours and girls are a vicious combination), when my mum would continue to comment on my weight and eating (which was regularly), and to lose that person hasn't helped me try and improve myself. I feel lost. I can't hold onto a single thought or seem to do the right thing. I feel like I'm a burden to everyone, as I tried to confide in a close friend and their response was "I think I should give you some space". and all I can manage to do is smile and tell them its okay, and that I'll be okay. I don't feel fine. I do not feel okay. I am currently seeing a counsellor, but as much as being able to release stuff to her helps, I still feel so alone.the idea of being happy is so foreign its like trying to learn a new language. I don't know how to reach out for help, as friends who think I've just been upset about the break-up have said my sadness will just fade. when I try approach the subject of it possibly being more than the break-up, they said I'm okay and it's only going up from here. Where is my up?

cameron90007 New Member:

Hi All, My name is Cameron, I'm 19 and from Perth. Since about the age of 7, I have had a phobia of death and dying. I would have anxiety attacks every day, and would constantly be thinking about my phobia. My anxiety peaked through my high school ye... View more

Hi All, My name is Cameron, I'm 19 and from Perth. Since about the age of 7, I have had a phobia of death and dying. I would have anxiety attacks every day, and would constantly be thinking about my phobia. My anxiety peaked through my high school years, and I turned to dropping out of a fully academic class load to relive the stress. Recently my anxiety has grown into other aspects for example: A fear of having an allergic reaction to food. A fear of choking on food and water. I currently study in the medical field, and reading the symptoms of specific illnesses give me a fear of getting them, eg. feeling a rapid heart beat and thinking I'm having a heart attack (this gives me a slight phobia of exercising) and to be honest the list goes on and on the more I think about it. I have had a specific career goal since quite young, and have recently been rejected from my dream career. This has affected me a lot as I have always been telling my self that once I get my career sorted my anxiety will be sorted (I know it doesn't work as well as that sounds, but In my mind it would be a major benefit). I have lost all passions and motivation and I am still trying to actively search for a hobby or something I will enjoy to do, with no luck. There is just nothing out there that makes me feel happy enough. I know I should see a GP and Phycologist. I use to see one quite regularly as well as take medication. However it was this that made me unsuccessful with my career choice - They don't want you to be on medication. Im stuck in not a very nice place. Hopefully with this being my first step I will be on the long road to recovery. Thanks, Cameron