Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

5to3 anxiety consumes my life - my story
  • replies: 4

hi, i'm new here i just wanted to share my story. i am 15 years old and i have suffered wit anxiety and on and off depression for almost 5 years. Earlier this year i was hospitalised because of my anxiety. when i get too anxious i vomit...i was vomit... View more

hi, i'm new here i just wanted to share my story. i am 15 years old and i have suffered wit anxiety and on and off depression for almost 5 years. Earlier this year i was hospitalised because of my anxiety. when i get too anxious i vomit...i was vomiting ever morning before school for about a week and the it got worse. i was vomiting uncontrollably for a few days and i could not leave my bed. i was sent to the doctor and he said if i didn't improve by tomorrow he would have to send me to the hospital. i stayed in emergency until 12pm and then i got discharged. but the next day i was still sick and we went back and were discharged again. on the third day we went back. they weighed me and i had lost 2 kilos is 2 days and i then only weighed 41 kilos. the admitted me again and i stayed for a week and was put on medication. i was not eating or drinking and i was seeing things. i eventually got better. i am now on medication and it seems to be keeping my anxiety in check or though i still get panic attacks and feeling anxious every day. it is a constant struggle to leave my house. i think i will be posting a lot on this website because it seems to be the only one where people actually respond and try to help. thanks for listening to my rant. any questions or comments are welcome

SushiCat Jealousy
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone (this is my first post so please tell me if I stuff things up), My school is putting on a musical, and both me and my friend really want to be in backstage crew. However my friend (who I'll call J) got into backstage crew and I didn't. J ... View more

Hi everyone (this is my first post so please tell me if I stuff things up), My school is putting on a musical, and both me and my friend really want to be in backstage crew. However my friend (who I'll call J) got into backstage crew and I didn't. J is so proud of herself and I know I should be really happy for her, but I just can't be, I'm too jealous. I know this is a slightly dumb thing to be sad about, but it is on top of another problem and I am not feeling great about either. I would appreciate it if anyone could reply and possibly help? Thanks loads for reading this. From SushiCat.

LemonJnr Intrusive thoughts
  • replies: 3

I am finding it hard to concentrate and cope with life. It's affecting me to the point that I just want to run away from all my problems. I have an older brother who I talk with, with just about anything but once he's gone, I start to think about the... View more

I am finding it hard to concentrate and cope with life. It's affecting me to the point that I just want to run away from all my problems. I have an older brother who I talk with, with just about anything but once he's gone, I start to think about the problems that are really stressing me out. I have no friends to talk with or hang out with so I don't have anyone else to confide in. I go to university and study, and I also work several jobs, but I feel I am going to be fired soon. I am struggling to learn fast on the job and because I work in fast food, it's really made me feel worthless. I get told not to think that way, so I learn to keep my problems to myself. I feel I am not going to succeed elsewhere if I fail in a fast food job that's supposed to be the 'stepping stone' job for all other jobs. After all, where am I going to succeed elsewhere if I can't do a simple job? It won't look nice on a resume. I really think it's the end for me because there is just so much expectation to succeed. The job market's tough so I feel like I won't be able to prove myself to the employers that really matter. I can't get these thoughts out of my head. I feel so slow and have lost all energy. What can I do or even hope for?

AmyClaire My Boyfriend Won't Leave The House!!
  • replies: 1

Hi, so I've been in this relationship for just over a month now and we've moved in together and everything. (It's much easier for me as I'm a student and cash is hard to come by). Anyway, he was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression when he was only ... View more

Hi, so I've been in this relationship for just over a month now and we've moved in together and everything. (It's much easier for me as I'm a student and cash is hard to come by). Anyway, he was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression when he was only a small child, but he anxiety is that bad that he literally has to smoke like 10 durries and go to the toilet 2 times before we leave. Basically he has a hard time going anywhere, even just to the shops to buy food or a walk down the road. I'm finding it very hard to deal with as I'd like to experience things with him but he just has so many barriers up I can't. I have depression and anxiety as well, im on medication and such as he is not. He chooses not to take medication but I don't see his situation getting any better. Please help!!!

C_Smith612 I want to go back to schools but I don't know how.
  • replies: 2

Hi Half way though year 9 I dropped out of school due to bullying from both teachers and students. Sadly the only people who believed me were my family. I did try and go back to school in year 10 to a different but my dad and younger sister died in a... View more

Hi Half way though year 9 I dropped out of school due to bullying from both teachers and students. Sadly the only people who believed me were my family. I did try and go back to school in year 10 to a different but my dad and younger sister died in an accident. So I only lasted 4 weeks. Last year I was accepted into a year 11 class in the school that my younger sister who passed away attended. But with her death and being around all the people who were her friends. I couldn't cope and left after 2 weeks of attendance. I tried to enter another school this year but they said with my prior non attendance they didn't want to set me up for failure. I want to know what other options do I have because I do want to complete my schooling. I have looked at tafe but I don't have the money. And I need it to be flexible because after my dad's death my mum hasn't been around much. And my two remaining little sisters are in school. Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions.

RealBobby I'm new (Rant)
  • replies: 5

Hi I'm new, my name is Bobby I'm 16 was born in Melbourne and moved to Sunshine Coast a few years ago. My first panic attack was in 2015 at school when we were discussing different illnesses I didn't know what going on but I saw a physiologist and fo... View more

Hi I'm new, my name is Bobby I'm 16 was born in Melbourne and moved to Sunshine Coast a few years ago. My first panic attack was in 2015 at school when we were discussing different illnesses I didn't know what going on but I saw a physiologist and found out it was a panic attack, I only had a few in 2015. Then since July 2016 I started having regular panic attacks every time I would go to play sport, I had no idea what to do but my body wouldn't let me go in any open spaces. This went on for a few months till I was diagnosed with agoraphobia, social anxiety disorder, GAD & OCD. On the 25th of November I was put in hospital for nearly seven weeks to gain weights which was supposed to make the anxiety go away but the when I left the hospital I had a really bad panic attack. And for the last 8 months or so my anxiety hasn't improved at all in fact I suspect it got worse being in a closed space for 7 weeks. I'm sick of making excuses at school as to why I can't play sport. I used to play a few sports but now because of my anxiety and because of all the weight I gained I can't be bothered playing again and have lost motivation to enjoy sport. I've seen so many physiologicals, they all the same thing: try deep breathing and ground yourself I do that every time and it NEVERS improves the anxiety. I'm on lots of medication which is supposed to help with my OCD but it's so bad, every time I hear lyrics of a song I count the syallbes it's so annoying. I'm also very anti social, always have been I guess I started at a new school this year and I have zero friends. I'm not sure whether this is depression related but I have no motivation to get up in the mornings, do any work at school or at home and sometimes I cry for hours non stop. To make matters worse I'm an only child so I spend almost all of my free time on the internet. Can anyone help?

324b21 Was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what to do with my situation

for a long time now I have been struggling with life, I have been having a hard time in school with work and people , I have a lot of family issues to deal with, feeling down ( most of the time for no reason) and I miss my best friend who moved house... View more

for a long time now I have been struggling with life, I have been having a hard time in school with work and people , I have a lot of family issues to deal with, feeling down ( most of the time for no reason) and I miss my best friend who moved houses and schools. I really don't know what to do because I have problems talking to literally anyone face to face, I feel that I may say something wrong or they may not care or understand

mycatrigby I wasn't snooping but I wasnt happy with what I saw

Hey, I'm a 19 year old female in a relationship of 4 months, My boyfriend and I are very close and have no trust issues whatsoever but we always discuss if something is making us jealous or unhappy, so its pretty good communication so far, they only ... View more

Hey, I'm a 19 year old female in a relationship of 4 months, My boyfriend and I are very close and have no trust issues whatsoever but we always discuss if something is making us jealous or unhappy, so its pretty good communication so far, they only thing I'm slightly confused about is when we were scrolling through Facebook together, we went to search for something on there and I seen in his history he had been searching other females profiles, that he hasn't really got anything to do with as well as searching for "Girls Advice 18+" pages, I dont want to be weary of them just because I have no reason to but it was just really weird, and I dont know how to bring it up to him.. has anyone else been in this situation and what happened?

ND27 I want answers to my life questions i cant find them!! Will i ever find the answers?
  • replies: 2

I am fustrated at the moment because i want answers. I want to know if im on the right path. If i am going the right pace. Why is my life so boring. I just have so many answers and it doesnt matter how quiet i am or how much i ask myself i come up bl... View more

I am fustrated at the moment because i want answers. I want to know if im on the right path. If i am going the right pace. Why is my life so boring. I just have so many answers and it doesnt matter how quiet i am or how much i ask myself i come up blank. i have no idea what the answers are and it is fustrating because no one can tell me and i cant tell myself. I am 20 and i seriously get things take time but i am so sick of people telling me that and for myself to say - Give time, time. I HATE IT. Im sick of waiting for life to get better. I WANT ANSWERS. What do i do when i just want to get clarity and i cant get it from myself

capap School vs chores
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, I'm currently in year 11. I'm a good student and I work really hard to achieve my best. I'm also aiming to get a university scholarship at the end of year 12, so I'm also involved in a few competitions and extra-curriculars that I enjoy,... View more

Hi everyone, I'm currently in year 11. I'm a good student and I work really hard to achieve my best. I'm also aiming to get a university scholarship at the end of year 12, so I'm also involved in a few competitions and extra-curriculars that I enjoy, but also to increase my scholarship chances. There's also a casual job on top of this. So I have a lot on my plate and can barely manage with all the homework I have as well. My parents are divorced, and I spend most of my time with my mum. I have no siblings, and she's currently not seeing anyone, so it's just the two of us. I'm expected to do many chores around the house, which I try to do, but I find it really hard to help in the weeks when I'm really busy. Sometimes my mum understands, but the other day we had a huge argument where she said I needed to pull my weight in this house, and that she can't do everything alone. I feel really guilty for not helping more, but I find it hard to fit into my busy schedule. She believes chores should come before school, which I strongly disagree with. But the fact there's no one else to help her means a lot of it falls on me. We've had this same argument many times, and I feel we've reached a breaking point. I've tried making to-do lists to organise my time better but I end up curled up on the couch not wanting to do anything because I can't cope. I really value my schooling but I also want to help my mum. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?