Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Keira Teary
  • replies: 2

On the bus back home from my new school I always get scared that I will see someone from my old school. Even before the bust turned onto my street my heart was beating too fast. I freaked out when I saw my ex and missed my stop and now I'm sitting in... View more

On the bus back home from my new school I always get scared that I will see someone from my old school. Even before the bust turned onto my street my heart was beating too fast. I freaked out when I saw my ex and missed my stop and now I'm sitting in the dark crying and hating myself for not moving on when he clearly has. Whats wrong with me...

Meki I hate my disability...
  • replies: 6

I wear hearing-aids. So older bullies like making jokes about them and saying things I can't here and then laughing about it. I've had hearing-aids since I was in prep, which by now, would be almost eight years ago. I have had the bullying for years.... View more

I wear hearing-aids. So older bullies like making jokes about them and saying things I can't here and then laughing about it. I've had hearing-aids since I was in prep, which by now, would be almost eight years ago. I have had the bullying for years. Teasing, threats, rude comments and gestures- you name it. I've had it all. I want it to stop. Year nine/eight kids are picking on me and half of them I have never met! High school sucks. I am having nightmares and I am failing my grades. I don't know what's wrong with me. I was on reachout.com and they kicked me out because they thought the posts would frighten me because I'm 13, not 14 (you have to be 14 to subscribe). Kids Help Line has been talking to me for months but it can take more than a week to get a reply from them. I just want to talk in a open and relaxed environment. I have talked to principles, teachers, counselors and chaplains. Half of them don't believe me or don't want to do a thing about it. I have had bullying worse than this- sexual assault/harassment. The hearing-aids are annoying me but I have to wear them to school or I can't hear most of what people say to me. How can I sort this all out?

Dyl_m Tough Break up, she left me+ More mental health problems.
  • replies: 8

My ex left me last Sunday after being together for 6 months because she isn’t inlove with me anymore and says me being paranoid about her loyalty was ridiculous. She did this at her house and I cried for 3 hours then her and her mum took me to the bu... View more

My ex left me last Sunday after being together for 6 months because she isn’t inlove with me anymore and says me being paranoid about her loyalty was ridiculous. She did this at her house and I cried for 3 hours then her and her mum took me to the bus station, 1hr and 45 minuets distance drive and I went back home just totally broken but this relationship was different like I thought and still do think she’s my soul mate I can’t not think that. We fell asleep on FaceTime to each other every night for 6 months and did so many things together, literally 700 photos/videos of us in my camera roll and some of her clothes are at my house and our book of photos she made for me, so this is coming to be super hard for me because I’m still inlove and she’s posting all these things on her story to make me hurt more and I’m just having a tough time with trying to move on this is my first relationship she’s 16 and I’m 17 and years beyond my age in maturity. I’m self harming again and have no self worth and am totally broken. I also have other mental health problems, I get different people inside my head that say degrading shit, I can’t go into a shopping centre without excessively sweating and feeling like I’m gonna vomit and feeling like everyone is watching me looking at me that there’s cameras watching everything i do, I’m taking my anger out on the wrong people and I’m just lost I’m totally lost. I’m starting to get into the drug scene and I just couldn’t care anymore, I got raided a week ago and charged and have court in 3 weeks. My life’s falling apart worse then ever.

Rose93 Physical anxiety symptom
  • replies: 3

It has been about three weeks now i have been experiencing body muscle twitching on my arms,legs or stomach even on my temples. I have been to three different doctors and had some blood test done all came back normal. Now they are telling me it is fr... View more

It has been about three weeks now i have been experiencing body muscle twitching on my arms,legs or stomach even on my temples. I have been to three different doctors and had some blood test done all came back normal. Now they are telling me it is from my anxiety. Can this be my anxiety? And how long does the body take to settle down from these symptoms. Have you had some other strange anxiety symptoms?

Keira 1 - my first post
  • replies: 5

I came to beyond blue for support. since their support chats are unavailable where I am I decided to create an account. This is my first post so I'm not sure who will see it or who will help but since this is basically a diary entry I guess I can sha... View more

I came to beyond blue for support. since their support chats are unavailable where I am I decided to create an account. This is my first post so I'm not sure who will see it or who will help but since this is basically a diary entry I guess I can share some feelings. I am scared. I feel too cautious. Like somethings coming for me. It didn't help that I just heard a fight outside my house. People were screaming and shouting at each other. I could hear swearing and tire screeches and car doors being slammed. The worst part was the screaming. It was a drunk kind of screaming. One that sounds like it belongs to someone who wont let someone like me get in the way of clueless murder. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe it's instinct. Maybe it's just getting used to being alone.

Tegan1 Anxiety and feeling sad
  • replies: 4

Hey guys, this is my first post. I’m 14 years old. i just came back from school today and the whole day I was feeling sad and down, I am undiagnosed but i know I have anxiety and small signs of depression. My friend said she didn’t want to be friends... View more

Hey guys, this is my first post. I’m 14 years old. i just came back from school today and the whole day I was feeling sad and down, I am undiagnosed but i know I have anxiety and small signs of depression. My friend said she didn’t want to be friends anymore today and I had no one else. But my old school friends hung out with me and made me feel wanted. I have anxiety that stops me from talking to people and doing activities at school. But I deal. My my parents are divorced, my dads poor and lives in a 2 roomed garage trying to supply for my sister and I. He is like my best friend, but gets angry at me all the time, he smokes and isn’t healthy with food. On my mums side there is my stepdad and mum. They are so mean to me and always put me down. They are rich though and are super healthy. They are really strict and have so many rules and get angry when I do the smallest things. I cry all the time. But I try to help myself by doing sports and listening to music. Watching cartoons also keeps me in that childhood mood and it make sure me happy. i hope I can help some people if you have any relatable issues or questions xx

Shay9 I’m surrounded by people but I feel so alone

Hi I am always surrounded by people. I have a big group of ‘friends’ at school. I work almost everyday in a busy place after school and I have two sisters. But I don’t feel like there’s anyone I can talk to openly. I sit with the same people every da... View more

Hi I am always surrounded by people. I have a big group of ‘friends’ at school. I work almost everyday in a busy place after school and I have two sisters. But I don’t feel like there’s anyone I can talk to openly. I sit with the same people every day in class and at lunch but I don’t feel like I can call any of them a best friend. Everyone seems to have someone who there closer to than me. I don’t get invited out to do things even when every other person in our group is unless I organise it myself. I’m not very close with either of my sisters or my parents. I feel like when I finish school I’m going to have no one left in my life. Not only that but everyone seems to have their whole future planned while I’ve got no clue what I’m going to do once I finish school. What am I doing wrong? I know that there are people people who are going through a lot worse than what I am but I just feel so lost.

Jireh Life has been a mess & it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
  • replies: 4

I study at university & everything was fine until this year. Things just started going downhill & I do have those moments where life couldn't be better but lately that hasn't been the case. I had to drop my study load to part-time for my course which... View more

I study at university & everything was fine until this year. Things just started going downhill & I do have those moments where life couldn't be better but lately that hasn't been the case. I had to drop my study load to part-time for my course which was beneficial for my tertiary education but that meant I could no longer receive financial support. This prompted me to get a job as I have to support myself. I have been working at this new job for about 2 weeks but I'm finding that it's all too much. The management is terrible, communication within the company is atrocious and as a newbie to the company I feel as though they are expecting too much of me. I'm always being asked to take up extra shifts during the week & asked to stay back a couple more hours than I have been rostered on for. Due to always being needed at work I don't have enough time to myself for leisurely/social activities, family time & study. After long days at work I'm physically, mentally & emotionally drained. I can't help around the house like I know I should be & this makes me feel more useless & more like a waste of space. I'm easily irritable and more often than not, rude to the people that mean the most to me even though I don't mean it. Life feels like its at a standstill & that it has no direction or purpose. I'm suffering in silence but I don't want to anymore.

BellaI Alone and afraid to ask for help

I am afraid to ask for help and yet I've fallen accustomed to the black dog and letting him control my thoughts. It feels like a heavy set of waves that keep rolling in, and you're the swimmer drowning wanting to catch a breath. I have a steady job, ... View more

I am afraid to ask for help and yet I've fallen accustomed to the black dog and letting him control my thoughts. It feels like a heavy set of waves that keep rolling in, and you're the swimmer drowning wanting to catch a breath. I have a steady job, I do what I love, and yet I still feel this way because I'm so alone and it feels easier to be gone than to continue this drowning feeling

LuLu_ Eating for comfort & no motivation
  • replies: 11

Hello I am new and was hoping anyone could share insight about how to gain some motivation. I am doing my year 12 exams and I worked really hard to study for a subject I was really behind on and now I have nothing left. Any tips? My lack of motivatio... View more

Hello I am new and was hoping anyone could share insight about how to gain some motivation. I am doing my year 12 exams and I worked really hard to study for a subject I was really behind on and now I have nothing left. Any tips? My lack of motivation is making me not want to do much so i am oversleeping and staying in bed for a few hours during the day. I am not sure if it’s boredom but I’m eating quite a bit of junk food. I am enjoying it because food is yummy especially sugar but I feel guilty because a balanced diet is always enforced and I am usually a relatively healthy person. any tips for sugar cravings and a general want to “eat my feelings”? Thank you for reading xx