Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

spontaneous sunflower Friends outside of school, no friends at school
  • replies: 1

Hi! So I have started year 11 at a new school a couple months ago. Prior to moving here, I had many friends at my old school. I'm still in contact with them and we try to catch up as often as possible, although it is tricky as we are all busy with sc... View more

Hi! So I have started year 11 at a new school a couple months ago. Prior to moving here, I had many friends at my old school. I'm still in contact with them and we try to catch up as often as possible, although it is tricky as we are all busy with schoolwork. I have been at my new school for 4-5 months now and I still spend every recess and lunchtime alone. Some days I dislike being alone, as I feel weird and like an outcast. Most days I use the free time to do schoolwork. I have anxiety so it is difficult for me to walk up to a group and ask to hang out, ya know? I talk to people in my classes but as soon as we leave class for lunch, I'm on my own again. I am conflicted with this situation because on one hand, I don't mind not having friends to hang with at lunch at this school because it gives me time to study. It's also not like I don't have any friends whatsoever- I have a good group of friends outside of school. However, on the other hand, I get lonely at school sometimes and I have formal in a month and I'd like to go if I had a group to go with but I don't. When it comes to events like athletics carnival and graduation next year, it'll be pretty sucky to not have friends to experience that with. While I am an anxious and overthinking individual and am more of an introvert than an extrovert (I do fall somewhere in the middle most of the time though), I am not opposed to making new friends. I would LOVE to make new friends but I'm a bit awkward and shy upon meeting new people, I don't know how to have conversations with new people and I don't know how to ask to hang out at lunch. Sorry for the long, rambly post but to conclude... help??? How do I go about asking people if I can hang out with them? How do I keep a conversation going? How do I get to know new people?? Also, I need reassurance that I'm not a weirdo for not having friends at school I try to tell myself I have the best of both worlds- my school life is strictly schoolwork and study, and my out of school life is mostly my own free time to do hobbies, be social, etc, etc. But I feel like I should have a social life at school too I suppose..

louieramseyyy I'm in a relationship and I have developed strong feelings for someone else

I'm 17 and I have been in a relationship with my loving boyfriend for around 6 months now. I have been living with him for 3 months now due to family violence. My relationship has been really good up until this point. About a month ago, we started to... View more

I'm 17 and I have been in a relationship with my loving boyfriend for around 6 months now. I have been living with him for 3 months now due to family violence. My relationship has been really good up until this point. About a month ago, we started to argue a lot more, get irritated at each other a lot easier so it was harder for us. I have started to grow feelings for a close friend of mine who I met at the start of the year and I have never felt this way about anyone, not even my own boyfriend! I am really unsure of what to do. I am about to move out of his place as I have found somewhere for me to stay on my own, so the option to not be with him anymore is still there, just incase he reacts negatively if I tel, him. I don't know if I love him, please help?

spontaneous sunflower Feeling stuck

I am not sure how to explain this in this post honestly. I am stuck for words to explain this "feeling stuck" situation, ha ha. I am 16. I was diagnosed with anxiety when i was 13, and I was diagnosed with depression after a really bad depressive epi... View more

I am not sure how to explain this in this post honestly. I am stuck for words to explain this "feeling stuck" situation, ha ha. I am 16. I was diagnosed with anxiety when i was 13, and I was diagnosed with depression after a really bad depressive episode last year. It's been about half a year since I recovered from that depressive episode I guess, and I am doing heaps better but in some ways I am not. I feel stuck. My life has changed many times over the past 3-4 years, as life does, but at the same time, it feels exactly the same. I am constantly facing the same problems- getting overwhelmed about schoolwork then breaking down, feeling anxious about school (no matter what school I am attending! I have moved schools in the past year), struggling to adapt to a healthier lifestyle of eating and exercising, etc. For some of these problems, I know what I have to do in order to overcome it or face it. But I never do those things. Eventually the problem passes, maybe because I get so good at avoiding it. I am stuck! I know exactly what person I want to be and how I want my life to be, and I have some ideas of how to get there, but I can't seem to get it in action. I am sick of falling into holes then digging myself out, but then never covering up those holes (metaphor! Hope it makes sense). I know I will never live a life completely free of anxiety and depression and I am okay with that, I know that overtime I keep getting stronger and more resilient. But that being said, I don't want to live a life where it's only 30% of the time that I am myself and living the life I want. Like everyone else, I wanna be myself 100% of the time and I want to make my life great because it's just one life. I see other people doing cool stuff, I see clothes I wanna buy in shops, I think of things I want to do but I kind of just sigh and think to myself "one day." Why can't I do that stuff now? Why do I have to wait till I graduate high school, till I move out of home, etc? It's just excuses. Maybe I am scared of leaving my comfort zone. Maybe I am scared of failure. But I know that I am only thinking the worst and in reality, if I went and became the person I want to be, there would be more benefits than not. So why can't I stop being someone I'm not entirely happy being and be the person I am suppressing inside? Not sure if this makes sense or if anyone can relate, maybe I'm a bit crazy (aren't we all?) Don't know if anyone can really give me any advice here but thanks anyway

Alizerath just a bit of a vent
  • replies: 3

honestly, I don't know what I'm doing on here. I don't think I have depression, I don't think I have anxiety. the thing is, I don't feel okay. I just feel so useless all the time. like, I haven't really got anything going for me. I'm not pretty, I'm ... View more

honestly, I don't know what I'm doing on here. I don't think I have depression, I don't think I have anxiety. the thing is, I don't feel okay. I just feel so useless all the time. like, I haven't really got anything going for me. I'm not pretty, I'm not smart, I'm not funny... so what am I? I am mediocre at everything I do. I try my hardest at everything but all I get out of it is a few insults and a few more shreds ripped apart at my confidence. the thing is, I don't feel sad all the time, nor do I get the typical kind of panic or anxiety someone associates with the disorder. My parents refuse to take me to a doctor because they think I'm fine. and maybe I am? maybe I am just doing this for attention? maybe I am normal? I am just very confused. all I know is that I would rather be anyone else but me. not even my own friends, who I would do anything for like me. I tried to talk about my problems, but I'm too scared that they will judge me. because I know they will. I have many- an - experience of telling someone something personal and them immediately using it against me while gossiping about me. one day, in a rather hurtful game of truth or dare, it was revealed that I am not only the ugliest, but the dumbest, and most annoying of my friends. and I would be upset, except that they are right. what do I have to offer? I'm not a good friend, I'm not a particularly good listener, I just don't fight back and am a bit of a pushover. my friends are only friends with me so they can use me as a punching bag- something I have witnessed many times. anyway, thats all for now, i just wanted to vent.

hello9899 i dont know what to do
  • replies: 2

Title sounds stupid but thats how im feeling right now. i used to joke that bald principle's head is brighter than my future and now thats true Im in my 20s and life had never feel great. its not like i have a bad start, my friends are great my famil... View more

Title sounds stupid but thats how im feeling right now. i used to joke that bald principle's head is brighter than my future and now thats true Im in my 20s and life had never feel great. its not like i have a bad start, my friends are great my family is quite supportive&well organised but despite that im still a loser. i dont think i can return my family all the support they gave me. im lying about my uni life im failing. but i cant bring myself to tell them that im a failure after all these times and effort they put on me. i was never helpful to begin with and now they have to face with more disappointment. I hit adulthood for some years now and all ive done with that is drinking. i dont feel adult enough and im scared that i will never grow up. will i ever be able to fix myself to function normally

the_Tin_Man I don't feel anything anymore
  • replies: 5

I used to be really emotional. My highs were high, and my lows could be pretty low. But see, the thing is, I could get really happy over small things, like a bad joke, that could set me off and I'd be laughing for ages. And my lows, they were over li... View more

I used to be really emotional. My highs were high, and my lows could be pretty low. But see, the thing is, I could get really happy over small things, like a bad joke, that could set me off and I'd be laughing for ages. And my lows, they were over little things, like not being able to find a pair of shoes and that making me late, or something silly that I could get over quickly. But now, I don't feel anything. I don't laugh until it hurts. I don't cry and break down. And believe me, I have a lot of stuff I could cry about. Sometimes I think about everything that has happened to me, and it doesn't register. I want to laugh, heck, I'd break down crying if I could. But nothing sets me off. Except running. I'm a pretty handy runner, and at the moment running is my release. I run until I drop, until my legs stop working, and that gives me my highs and lows. But I can't run all the time, and I can't run forever. Running is my life, and I would do it 24/7 if I could. But when I don't run, I have no emotions, no happy, no sad, no embarrassment, no apologetic. I just don't care for those things. Sure, its easy to fake, chuck on a smile here or there, tell everyone its fine, but I feel like I'm being eaten up from the inside by something that's too big for me to control. I want to feel emotions again, but at the moment nothing will set me off, except running. And when my running isn't going well, like at the moment, everything is hard. I don't want to over exaggerate and say I have depression, but when I'm not running well it feels like it. When running is going well, that's when I'm not turning to online sites trying to get someone to listen to me. I don't know why I'm writing this, maybe just to get it of my chest, I've heard this sort of thing works.

kebabeater I don’t know who I am anymore

I need some help or possibly support at the moment. I’m 17, turning 18 next week and while I know I should be excited as I have been looking forward to my 18th for so long I can’t help but feel down. I’m in year 12 which is a struggle of its own, my ... View more

I need some help or possibly support at the moment. I’m 17, turning 18 next week and while I know I should be excited as I have been looking forward to my 18th for so long I can’t help but feel down. I’m in year 12 which is a struggle of its own, my motivation has already dried up and I’m only half way through the year and the sad thoughts I have mean my attention span when it comes to school and homework is very little. I try to talk to the few friends I have but I can’t help but feel as though in my friendships I’m the older one and I try to take care of them as much as I can so I can’t stand to have them see me as a weak person. I used to do so well in school but ever since my breakup mid last year my grades have just dropped as well as my attitude and outlook on life and as much as I wish it wasn’t true I don’t feel like I’ll be around much longer I am really struggling.

milkshake Applying for post census remission of debt due to depression and anxiety

Hi, I'm new to these forums and not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm really in need of some help or insight from anyone who has been through a similar experience to me. I'm currently going through severe depression and anxiety and need... View more

Hi, I'm new to these forums and not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm really in need of some help or insight from anyone who has been through a similar experience to me. I'm currently going through severe depression and anxiety and need to defer from my course at uni. I've been told to apply for post census remission of debt that I should gather as much supporting evidence as possible. For me this so far includes getting a letter from my Dr and psychologist, however I've heard that a lot of the time post census remission of debt is not always approved. I'm worried about not having enough evidence, or my situation not looking bad enough, to get approved. Is there is anyone else has done this before and what did you include? I would really appreciate any help as its really hard to think straight when I'm depressed. Thanks

two-dee University Woes

Hello all, Since I last posted here, a lot has happened in my life. I have now gone off to university to study law; a degree that was my #1 choice and dream degree in high school. I've managed to slip into the whole uni life; attending my lectures/tu... View more

Hello all, Since I last posted here, a lot has happened in my life. I have now gone off to university to study law; a degree that was my #1 choice and dream degree in high school. I've managed to slip into the whole uni life; attending my lectures/tutes, doing a small number of outside activities to break up the monotony and making new friends (for the most part). Recently however, I have been feeling uninspired with the actual law part of my degree; I actually get more excited and inspired to learn by my non-law subjects, mainly due to the content being more interesting and straightforward. I feel that my gripes with my degree are slowly starting to affect my lifestyle; as I am constantly procrastinating and coming up with every excuse in the book to not get my work done; knowing fully well that exams are less than a month away. Additionally, it is also affecting the little friendships that I have, since I feel increasingly inclined to sit by myself rather than associate with my friends. All of this is bringing back painful memories of my awkward junior years of high school; a time where I was completely lost as a person. I know it sounds like I'm rambling on a little bit and I apologise but does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope? I am open to anything at this point.

jopb Please help, I'm really struggling with anxiety (nausea).

Hi everyone. I'm Joely, 15 year old girl (in year 10) struggling with anxiety, depression, worry, panic, etc. I'm really scared and confused because this has never been an issue for me until now... I don't know what started it and I don't know how to... View more

Hi everyone. I'm Joely, 15 year old girl (in year 10) struggling with anxiety, depression, worry, panic, etc. I'm really scared and confused because this has never been an issue for me until now... I don't know what started it and I don't know how to make it go away or deal with it. I get very anxious about everything (going out with friends, going to school), now to the point that I don't want to leave the house (but obviously I have to because I have to go to school). My main symptom is nausea which is honestly the worst thing in the world because I constantly feel sick to the stomach like I'm going to throw up. I also get this sensation where I find it really hard to swallow (my throat goes tight). When I was a little girl, I used to get nauseous (I would actually throw up) when I didn't want to go to school or if I was anxious about something so it's in my nature but I guess it kind of all went away until now because I never acknowledged it as an issue until now. A few months ago, there was an incident where I threw up in public in front of my friends and the whole food court at my local shopping centre (I know, it was absolutely mortifying), so I think that that may have had something to do with this whole thing but when that happened, I actually did have a stomach bug so it wasn't prompted by anxiety. I feel sick whenever I'm anxious now and it's getting worse and worse... I'm getting increasingly anxious about literally everything and getting that horrible nauseous feeling all the time when I really don't have much to be anxious about. I have always been a big pessimist, worrier and overthinker but it has never been this bad. People tell me that it's because I am at a stressful time of my life (teenage years) but I just feel like none of my friends have it. I actually had to take two days off school this week because I felt so bad. I'm going to see a psychologist next week but as negative as it sounds I don't think what they're gonna do is gonna work/help because I've seen psychologists before and they always recommend like writing your worries down and stuff which never works in getting rid of or helping with the sick feeling. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like it is taking over my life so I would really appreciate some help Joely