FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

are really emotional periods normal?

a13xx
Community Member

Hey just a quick question

Ive had suicidal problems in the past and it’s been difficult to get over however now i only really get them when i’m on my period. I know being emotional comes with the period and stuff but i don’t know if this is normal. I have a lot of suicidal/self harm thoughts while on my period and every time it happens i feel like i’m going into a depressive episode or something. I'm really happy when I'm not on my period, but when I am i feel completely terrible.

Is this normal? is there any way to help with this?

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi a13xx,

Thank you for your post today, and thank you so much for being so open and brave, sharing your feelings, thoughts and insights with us isn't always easy. We're so sorry to hear that you've been struggling with such difficult emotions.

We want you to know that we are also reaching out to you privately - please keep an eye out in your inbox.

You've brought up some very key and important issues (hormones and our mental health), and want to agree with you that our emotions can very much be affected by our hormones, and want to confirm with you that yes, that this is a valid medical issue - we'd really love to know that you have spoken with a medical professional about this, and encourage you to do so. (It's actually very insightful of you to notice this, and we want to encourage you to continue to make a note of this in your diary, along with getting some valuable emotional support when you do struggle every month by letting those closest to you know that this happens, and also by preparing yourself ahead of time).

For now, we'll leave you in the hands of our beautiful and supportive community - we know they will come alongside you to support you, encourage and inspire you.

Some important and helpful numbers for you (all 24/7):

Beyone Blue 1300 22 4636 or online chat https://www.beyondblue.org.au/support-service/chat
Lifeline 13 11 14 or online chat/text option https://www.lifeline.org.au/
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467 https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/

IMPORTANT NOTE - PLEASE: Call 000 (triple zero) if you are ever in immediate danger to yourself, or take yourself to your nearest Emergency Department for mental health assistance if you feel you can.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello a13xx,

Thank you for sharing and I'm sorry that you're struggling with your emotions on your period. I am glad to read that outside of your period, you have overcome your difficulties which I think goes to show how strong you are!

I also want to let you know that you are not alone and feeling low on your period is something a lot of people experience. Similar to you, I am usually quite emotional on my period. The days leading up, I usually dread my period coming as I know my mood won't be great. When I am on my period, I try to take it easy. Our bodies are going through a lot so I think it's fair to take a break. I usually make all my favourite foods and spend a day or two just on the sofa, watching comfort tv. I would recommend doing some things while on your period that you know are going to make you feel better.

Wishing you the best,

Beeee

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi a13xx,

Im sorry that your period effects you in this way.

I definitely notice that when I have my period my anxiety does go up but I’m aware of this and I’m very lucky to have a toolbox full of helpful strategies to help with this.

I think it would be great idea if you spoke to your gp about this.

Im aware that some people go on a antidepressant just when they have their period and then go off it………. They do this to help with their anxiety over this time.

Maybe you could discuss with your doctor.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello a13xx, please forgive for replying, and so very sorry this happens every month, my concern is that when it's over, I worry about how you are feeling in anticipation for when the next one will come and this can be a great worry, depending on what else is happening.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Thank you for being open here. It is completely normal. As Sophie said, it is all to do with your hormones. It affects your brain and thus your emotions. Your start to feel heightened emotions. E.g. if you feel sad normally, on your period you will feel 10x times that.

It's super annoying but most girls have it and feel the same way. You are not alone in this and we are all here to support you.

Stay safe and i am always here to chat.